Salon software

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CollinsonMiss

Reaction score
So I know there have been loads of threads about salon software because I checked them all out before I made a decision on which one to use. Now I'm a few months in I thought I'd share my experience with you and hope this is helpful.

Having looked at threads on here, comparison sites etc etc, I narrowed it down to 'Kitomba1' & 'Timely' because they just seem to tick the right boxes for me, I then decided on Timely and we went with it. This was a fully cloud based system and in our area we quickly found that wasn't suitable, as our internet in our area is not fast enough and we kept getting the timer appear on the screen which is no good when you have a client waiting. The system itself was pretty good, however we did find it a little too easy to move appointments without even noticing you'd done it-this led to quite a few peoples appointments being changed and a few unhappy clients(quite rightfully). The support was pretty good whenever we rang and they responded very quickly and always very polite even when I was asking stupid questions. However, we felt largely due to the internet issue that we would probably need to change.

Whilst we were going through this process, Adam from Kitomba kept in constant contact and was extremely helpful and in no way put 'Timely' down, in fact he praised some of the features that timely had, that Kitomba didn't.

Kitomba have two options, the cloud based or the 'installed' version with cloud based Kitomba 1, giving you the best of both worlds. The latter is more expensive and we did have to give it serious thought. However when we broke it down, we realised it really was the right way to go. I was also very nervous as I am not brilliant on the computer and anything more than the basics is beyond me.

The support from Adam and the Kitomba team has been great and they have all been very patient whilst we have been going through the learning process. They have been so supportive and Adam has not waited for us to ring him, he checks in on us via phone/email to make sure we're ok and anything he can help with. That has been extremely reassuring.

Also, it all seemed a little daunting at the start and I wasn't sure how we would manage to learn how to do it all, but everyone in the salon has picked it up surprisingly quickly and we are all really pleased with the decision, no going back to pen & paper for us!

I know that we've made the right decision with Kitomba whereas the first system, I knew very quickly wasn't for us.

Everyone will find a system that works best for them and their salon situation, I am not knocking any other system. I just know that I didn't know where to start when I was looking and thought it might be helpful to anyone else in the same situation.

I don't work for Kitomba in case anyone thinks that, I'm just really pleased with it and can't recommend it enough.

Hi, I'm glad you've found something that works for you.

I rave about Salon Iris on here, mainly because it is 'on' my computer. Everyone says cloud is the way to go, but our internet is occasionally so slow, it's ridiculous.

We were also relieved to have computer based software about 2 weeks ago when completely out of the blue our internet went down for about 4 days. We had to get a BT engineer out, but were able to book clients in and out as normal, and to rebook them, so it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been!

Vic x

So I know there have been loads of threads about salon software because I checked them all out before I made a decision on which one to use. Now I'm a few months in I thought I'd share my experience with you and hope this is helpful.

Having looked at threads on here, comparison sites etc etc, I narrowed it down to 'Kitomba1' & 'Timely' because they just seem to tick the right boxes for me, I then decided on Timely and we went with it. This was a fully cloud based system and in our area we quickly found that wasn't suitable, as our internet in our area is not fast enough and we kept getting the timer appear on the screen which is no good when you have a client waiting. The system itself was pretty good, however we did find it a little too easy to move appointments without even noticing you'd done it-this led to quite a few peoples appointments being changed and a few unhappy clients(quite rightfully). The support was pretty good whenever we rang and they responded very quickly and always very polite even when I was asking stupid questions. However, we felt largely due to the internet issue that we would probably need to change.

Whilst we were going through this process, Adam from Kitomba kept in constant contact and was extremely helpful and in no way put 'Timely' down, in fact he praised some of the features that timely had, that Kitomba didn't.

Kitomba have two options, the cloud based or the 'installed' version with cloud based Kitomba 1, giving you the best of both worlds. The latter is more expensive and we did have to give it serious thought. However when we broke it down, we realised it really was the right way to go. I was also very nervous as I am not brilliant on the computer and anything more than the basics is beyond me.

The support from Adam and the Kitomba team has been great and they have all been very patient whilst we have been going through the learning process. They have been so supportive and Adam has not waited for us to ring him, he checks in on us via phone/email to make sure we're ok and anything he can help with. That has been extremely reassuring.

Also, it all seemed a little daunting at the start and I wasn't sure how we would manage to learn how to do it all, but everyone in the salon has picked it up surprisingly quickly and we are all really pleased with the decision, no going back to pen & paper for us!

I know that we've made the right decision with Kitomba whereas the first system, I knew very quickly wasn't for us.

Everyone will find a system that works best for them and their salon situation, I am not knocking any other system. I just know that I didn't know where to start when I was looking and thought it might be helpful to anyone else in the same situation.

I don't work for Kitomba in case anyone thinks that, I'm just really pleased with it and can't recommend it enough.

How has it helped your busy?

How has it helped your busy?

Hi Kezza, there are so many ways its helped.

• We have therapists of all capabilities and once thats logged into the computer we have to overide it to book someone in with a therapist who's not capable, so it saves on mistakes.
  • Its easier to fill small gaps that you might miss in the diary
  • Online booking means people can book in when we are closed, we are about to start opening Mondays, but up until now, people had to wait from Sat eve to Tuesday to book in.
  • We are pretty busy all the time, but now with the added bonus of online booking, we can extend our opening hours to cater for the extra demand
  • All of us can check the diary from home, this is particularly great for me as the business owner, as I have appointments other than treatments that I can get booked in while I'm away from the salon.
  • It will also do my end of day reports and tell me how much we're expected to take at the beginning of the day.
  • Each member of staff has a pin and each month I can monitor how staff are doing.
  • It will work out individual commission
  • We now have ours to do automatic reminders, which we had been doing by phone, but now they are going out by email(free) or text(paid for) This saves staff time and means they can concentrate on other things
  • We can set it up to send out marketing emails etc
  • As more people book online, thats less time answering the phone and more time doing treatments
Long term this should mean greater revenue, fewer gaps and clients really love the online booking. We really want to keep the clients coming back and if booking is easier this way, I'm sure they will. We have only just got the online booking bit off the ground (6 days ago) as I was nervous about it, but Adam encouraged us to just go for it and we did. We have already taken several bookings a day via online booking- people have said its great because they can book easily in their lunch hour etc from their mobile.

The software has loads of capabilities that we have not even begun to explore yet, but they are great and giving you training as you are ready to go onto the next stage.

Ha ha, can you tell that I love it?! As I said this one may not be right for everyone as squidgernetball says Salon Iris is popular too.

Hi, I'm glad you've found something that works for you.

I rave about Salon Iris on here, mainly because it is 'on' my computer. Everyone says cloud is the way to go, but our internet is occasionally so slow, it's ridiculous.

We were also relieved to have computer based software about 2 weeks ago when completely out of the blue our internet went down for about 4 days. We had to get a BT engineer out, but were able to book clients in and out as normal, and to rebook them, so it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been!

Vic x

Yes it I was so shocked to discover how many systems there are out there. I agree about the internet, I felt very nervous the whole time we were on that system, like you I like the security of knowing its on my computer.

Hi Kezza, there are so many ways its helped.

• We have therapists of all capabilities and once thats logged into the computer we have to overide it to book someone in with a therapist who's not capable, so it saves on mistakes.
  • Its easier to fill small gaps that you might miss in the diary
  • Online booking means people can book in when we are closed, we are about to start opening Mondays, but up until now, people had to wait from Sat eve to Tuesday to book in.
  • We are pretty busy all the time, but now with the added bonus of online booking, we can extend our opening hours to cater for the extra demand
  • All of us can check the diary from home, this is particularly great for me as the business owner, as I have appointments other than treatments that I can get booked in while I'm away from the salon.
  • It will also do my end of day reports and tell me how much we're expected to take at the beginning of the day.
  • Each member of staff has a pin and each month I can monitor how staff are doing.
  • It will work out individual commission
  • We now have ours to do automatic reminders, which we had been doing by phone, but now they are going out by email(free) or text(paid for) This saves staff time and means they can concentrate on other things
  • We can set it up to send out marketing emails etc
  • As more people book online, thats less time answering the phone and more time doing treatments

This is a great list for anyone who is still on paper. Not having good software is costing you a lot of time and directly effecting your bottom line.

Latest posts

Back