Salon start up costs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabby

Reaction score
Hi guys, im putting out a feeler on how much it could cost to open up a small salon studio or a 2-6 chair small salon.

Its not something I am doing in the immediate future but sometime within the next few years.
I have a solid clientele that will travel, I have all tools I need to work-inc gowns, towels, my own client database, appointment book and payment system, I am fully stocked on colour, advertising won't be an issue. I essentially run a business inside a salon and all I use is their chair, their electricity and their water, I live in the country so rent isn't super expensive depending on where and my chair rent is more expensive than most small properties to let in city areas nearby.

Any and all advice is appreciated, I want to be as prepared as possible.

Hi Fabby, the cheapest way is to find a shop that I'd already a salon selling their business.

The actual salon fit is very expensive, putting in the plumbing and electrical

I opened mine in October.
It was a hair salon to start with but was in need of improvement. I had family friends carry out work who are in the building trade, and a lot of stuff I already had, but to give you an idea, including legal fees (mine and landlords), 3 months advanced rent, deposit, new floor, mirrors, chairs, backwash x 2 , backwash system,reception desk, insurance,.......(the list goes on), I paid out £17,000, and there was no way I could have done it any cheaper than I had already

Hi Fabby, the cheapest way is to find a shop that I'd already a salon selling their business.

The actual salon fit is very expensive, putting in the plumbing and electrical
Ive had a look at many however its just not the same as having your own. Basins for example are something I have decided on design and couldn't settle for as I spend 20-40 mins at the basin per client so I need something super comfortable. Do you have a rough ballpark figure of what it could possibly cost worst case? I'm putting aside for the basins now x

I opened mine in October.
It was a hair salon to start with but was in need of improvement. I had family friends carry out work who are in the building trade, and a lot of stuff I already had, but to give you an idea, including legal fees (mine and landlords), 3 months advanced rent, deposit, new floor, mirrors, chairs, backwash x 2 , backwash system,reception desk, insurance,.......(the list goes on), I paid out £17,000, and there was no way I could have done it any cheaper than I had already
That doesn't sound too bad actually :) thank you x

I bought a small ‘shell’ last year and the fit out included;
3 hair sections, 2 makeup sections, small reception, 2 massage wash basins, chaise lounge, 3 trolley’s
Fitted display cabinets/shelving
kitchenette, 1 toilet & hand basin.
Electrics/lightning
Some plastering.....
Air con.
Security cameras
Alarm
Shop front & sign = approx £50,000

I did not need to replace the floor or install a water heater/boiler - that was already here, but would of cost an extra £3,000 (approx)
I did have a designer and commercial builder who was excellent - I did none of it myself!
I also went for the higher end basins, chairs etc.... so it could have been done on a lower budget.
My last salon had been a salon for many years, and although dated, was in excellent condition, so I went with a ‘retro’ theme, and a little spruce up - yes I had to install a new water heater, new flooring & decorate, but spent no more than about £10,000 - so it does depend on what you start with.
Good Luck!

I have a nice little well established salon in Matlock Derbyshire for sale if anyone is interested. Selling due to wanting more time to myself .
Ideal start up salon as cheap overheads and all fitted out .
£7500
New lease available, turnover approx £30,000

I agree. There are many costs in setting a salon up. I myself spent almost 30k.

It’s an investment well work while though xx

Latest posts

Back