Salon System's Thai Manicure - bit of a grumble

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bimbogeri

Reaction score
Hi guys, long time no geek! Sorry to mark my return (again!) with a grumble!
I was in Capital today and spotted that Salon System have a new manicure line out - Thai Manicure. It has extracts of tangerine, sandalwood and ginger in it, and as I am an absolute sucker for ginger, I decided to buy the kit.
Now, the kit itself is nice and the products are really really lovely, but one of the stages is meant to be a Thai-style massage with aromatic oils and a herb dumpling (all included). Which is all well and good, but I'll need some training to do that part of it.
So I rang them up and guess what? You have to be a qualified beauty therapist with anatomy and physiology to do the Thai Manicure course, because apparantly they continue the massage on to include the shoulders and back (er, in a manicure??) If you're just a nail tech, they won't let you!

How daft is that?!

Why market this as a manicure line and then not allow nail technicians to do the course? Or why not make it a more in-depth course and cover more of the anatomy so that nail techs CAN do it?
Or even better, don't be so bloomin' daft as to try and incorporate a partial body massage in a manicure...

I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this, had tried the products themselves, or had an idea of how I could change my regular massage to be something a bit different?

I know Thai massage uses pressure points and meridian lines so I wonder if I could adapt my usual massage to be a bit more like this. Any thoughts?

xxx

Does seem a little silly. Nail techs are probably a big % of the people who will buy it.

If you're happy with the products, can you not just do the usual massage you know already? Surely the client won't know how far you should massage anyway.
After all, who ever heard of a shoulder & back massage included in a manicure?

Sounds a bit strange to do a back and shoulder massage during a manicure... would you need to be in a beauty room and ask them to get undressed when they came for their manicure!?!?!?

can't you buy the mani set and do a regular hand massage...i would just do this if they will allow you to buy the kit without training, and as long as you are a qualified nail tech...why shouldn't they...it's not exaclty L&P is it?!?!?!

I do have the kit, and it's gorge (used it on myself last night.. the scrub and the hand mask warm up - yum!!) I just wanted to be able to offer the 'proper' massage that they go on about in their blurb as they have a certain oil and a little massaging do-da (they call it a herb dumpling) to use to do a Thai-style massage.
But as it is I will just have to adapt my own one to make it a bit different to my usual so customers don't think they're just getting the same thing as usual!

Lol hun there's an article in this month's Scratch mag (Juy) which shows the routine

Does it have massage moves in it? Would anyone be so kind as to scan it for me as I let my subscription lapse:smack: . D'oh!
So far I've been working on a massage routine based on some reading I've done on Thai massage and hand reflexology, really concentrating on the palm and relaxing the hand. Al seems to like it so far but no clients for it yet so I still have time to perfect it!
When I spoke to Salon System again they made it sound like the actual course wasn't a Thai MANICURE course but a Thai fusion MASSAGE course, which I guess explains the entry requirements.

It doesn't go into any huge depth. I think you can get scratch in Capital stores. If you get stuck hun send me your addie and I'll send my copy to you once I'm done with it.

I bought the kit and I agree, the products are lovely.
I'm just doing a normal hand and lower arm massage (up to elbow), however whilst their hands are soaking, I massage shoulders and upper arms as I was taught for Indian Head Massage. Make up your own routine and try it out on friends first, then go for it. My clients,so far, have loved it !

Latest posts

Back