Salon therapist going mobile-help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shiv9mbs

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I need your help. I run my own salon (just me in it) but have had lots of requests from potential clients near where I live (about 15 miles away from salon) and am thinking about it. I work Tuesdays to Saturdays so could do evenings and Mondays.
I've always shied away from mobile as the logistics always seemed to out weigh the extra income.

How did you decide on pricing? Set prices or a 'starting from' price?
Massage therapists- did you purchase a light weight couch? How do you manage all your towels etc
Waxing- how do I go straight to a waxing appt and not have to wait for the wax? Also how to transport it after the treatment and it's still warm?
Anything else you guys can think of that I might need please let me know.

Thanks so much! Xx

when I first rented a room I kept a day of mobile appointments so I wouldnt loose my existing (mobile) client base. I lasted 4 weeks before the agro of packing up the shop every week just to do one day of mobile clients got too much! It sounds perfect on paper but the reality of it is something else!

I would heat my wax up really hot before I left so it would cool slightly by the time I got to the client, tbh this was trial & error but worked ok. It was the unplugging of wax pots & packing away stuff from the salon that was the bigger problem. Pre & post lotions, boxes of gloves, strips, tweezers.... everything I had set out beautifully in the shop had to be shoved in & out of bags :(

I charged the same price in & out of the salon but had a min £20 call out charge (ppl WILL expect you to do a 30 min drive for a brow wax)

Work out if it will actually be worth your time hun, i knocked it on the head & dud loose some clients but i gained many more from the salon xx

Aww exactly what I was thinking but thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

I'm aiming for just around the area I live for the time being so I don't have to go too far but we shall see [emoji8]

Aww exactly what I was thinking but thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

I'm aiming for just around the area I live for the time being so I don't have to go too far but we shall see [emoji8]

Good luck hun :)

I always think its worth a try otherwise your always thinking 'what if'

It might be easier if you have 2 of most things, so you can keep a 'mobile' kit & a 'salon' one. So a bag of pre/post lotions, few gloves, strips etc. Least you wont be packing up everything all the time.

You kind of find your feet with it, if a treatment is arkward one way go back to the drawing board rather quickly lol xx

Thanks again love xx

I used to work mobile as well as from home and it is hard on your time. You spend a lot of time in traffic and travelling between appointments etc and also if you have a no show when you have driven all the way there, it is even more frustrating than when it happens in the salon because you are out of pocket on petrol money and also your time. I used to have a separate box with all of my mobile kit in and this also kept the wax upright in the boot after an appointment. It saved me having to remove everything from the treatment room each time I had a mobile appointment. One day though, I dropped the box on my way to a clients house & my tweezers fell down a drain & i didn't have any spares…that was a bad day!! One thing that I noticed from your original post was that you are planning to do your mobile work on your evenings and day off….don't get into that if you can help it. Mobile work is not easy and its time consuming and you need down time, otherwise your work will suffer. I would suggest if you are going to do it, make say, Tuesdays your mobile day and Weds to Sat your salon days. You are still working and earning money but why should your weekends suffer because people want to save themselves the drive to the salon?!

Yeah you're right... I do need my days off. Will definitely think about maybe a day during my work week.
The overall thing is it's a lot of extra time and travel and that's exactly why I haven't done it and been putting it off but I'm getting married next year and really need some extra cash so think I'll just have to try it.
Thanks for replying [emoji8]

Latest posts

Back