Salon trial day? Advice please I feel rubbish :-(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lea2721

Reaction score
well went for my trial day today and im soo dissapointed, the hairdressers were lovely but was not keen on the two bosses they hardly spoke to me and just expected me to know where everything is without showing me around so felt like a right idiot when they was asking me to get something and then i was like wheres that so then they would look at me sort of annoyed, and i just felt like they expected me to be a hairdresser there and then and rather worryingly 5 people have been sacked in the space of 4 months, i just want some advice is the scenario normal and should i still take job if i felt like this today i have come home and felt utter rubbish , i have got a salon placement in the back line and when i met the owner i felt at ease and like she would be a good teacher so to speak what is every one elses views should i take it just because its sn apprentice and hope i feel better or should i just wait and have a salon placement advice please, on a positive dynamo the magician did call in to have his hair cut :bigrinbigrin lol and i got picture

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

anybody have any advice please??

Hey I'm beauty not hair but if I was in your shoes and did not feel nice and feel worse now worrying there is no way I would even consider this if it's not right there is a reason and something better may be waiting around the corner for you ;) this is justy opinion on how I would feel Md advise I would give any of my friends x hope this helps x

I would go on your gut instinct and I think you know what to do. It doesn't sound a great place to work.

I'm not a hair geek but I didn't want you thinking that nobody cares……….I'm sure there'll be loads of replies tomorrow. x

If they won't spare the time to show you around on your first day then how good are they going to be tutoring you full time?
I would not even consider it, to be able to learn you need to first feel at ease and welcome, just my opinion though x

Defo agree with the above! If you arent giddy with excitement to go to work before you have even started then i think it speaks for itself. Chin up tho, theres an employer waiting for you, ready to spark up the passion you should feel towards your new career path xx

Sent from my GT-I5500 using SalonGeek

Hey I'm beauty not hair but if I was in your shoes and did not feel nice and feel worse now worrying there is no way I would even consider this if it's not right there is a reason and something better may be waiting around the corner for you ;) this is justy opinion on how I would feel Md advise I would give any of my friends x hope this helps x

i know i just feel soo gutted because i wanted it sooo much but i just felt like i was a spare part apart from the hairdressers bless them trying to help me and they kept asking if i was ok but they did say to mr becareful because a lot of people have been sacked i just felt really on edge and not comftable because they did not get time to get to know me :-( and show me around and everything i was doing was wrong because they were asking me to do things i havent even learnt yet and yhen saying no you doing it wrong and the boss told me to blow dry her hair with curls which i have not done and because i was not doing it right she kept saying really loud no your doing it wrong then she said oh no point you doing it now i just feel really crap like im no good lol x

I would go on your gut instinct and I think you know what to do. It doesn't sound a great place to work.

I'm not a hair geek but I didn't want you thinking that nobody cares……….I'm sure there'll be loads of replies tomorrow. x

thankyou im so worried now though like am i supposed to know all whst she was asking me so is it just me whos rubbish, i just felt so positive this mourning and now feel so negative, but i know my guts right but i dont wsnt it to be lol the salon placement at a diffrent salon i asked to have that at a interview for an apprentice because as soon as i went in there she made me feel so at ease and she was even given me tips there and then but thankyou for making me feel a bit better :) xx

If they won't spare the time to show you around on your first day then how good are they going to be tutoring you full time?
I would not even consider it, to be able to learn you need to first feel at ease and welcome, just my opinion though x

i know thats what i thought they did not show me where anything is and then within 5 mins said right wash ladies hair i said ok i was like wheres gowns no they dont wear gowns there whear a plastic thing round neck so wheres them then the client had to show me where they were then there taps dont work properly so i didnt know how to get hot as its dodgy and i felt soo silly i cant help but feel its me im rubbish and maybe im not meant to be a hairdresser seriously i feel soo rubbish now i wanted this sooo much and now my guts telling me noo xx

Defo agree with the above! If you arent giddy with excitement to go to work before you have even started then i think it speaks for itself. Chin up tho, theres an employer waiting for you, ready to spark up the passion you should feel towards your new career path xx

Sent from my GT-I5500 using SalonGeek

aww thankyou soo much i hope so .. i do have a salon placement set up for in september at a diffrent salon and when i met her aww she was fantastic she said im here to teach you etc and she asked what i could do and i told her and i said i wsd bit under confident and she said dont you worry about that you will build it up it takes time to become a good hairdresser and i will help you etc so i left there feeling so happy now incomparison to how i feel now well i think it does give me my answer but i still feel gutted because i was so hopeful... and also when i went for my interview at this salon where i had trial the boss forgot about me and i waited a hour for him to come back maybe that was a warning sign lol xx

i do hope some hairdressers comment on here though because now im worried its because im rubbish lol xx

Seriously, just read back through your own comments.
Negative all the way. You have come out of there feeling fed up and no good! If it had been me I wouldn't have seen the day out.
Please keep looking for somewhere else as working there could kill your confidence and put you off hairdressing for life.
You need tutors who will be patient and build your confidence. Not tutors who treat you like this x

i do hope some hairdressers comment on here though because now im worried its because im rubbish lol xx

I wouldn't go back there hun I was in the same sorta position where I was in a salon and I felt so out of place and it's the worst thing ever I'm now mobile but work in a salon as a stylist on a Saturday and the salon is amazing you know when u have found the right one for you. They should be helping you at least your asking questions they hold be able to help you not be angry with you! Have a glass of wine xx

Oh and meant to say I'm a hair geek and I've been where you are, it's not nice and you will soon see how different it can be x

Seriously, just read back through your own comments.
Negative all the way. You have come out of there feeling fed up and no good! If it had been me I wouldn't have seen the day out.
Please keep looking for somewhere else as working there could kill your confidence and put you off hairdressing for life.
You need tutors who will be patient and build your confidence. Not tutors who treat you like this x

i know i never felt soo bad even had a little cry lol and i nearly did when she was saying you cant blow dry i mean ive only been learning 7months at college so i only no the basics i even burnt my finger thats how much i tried but it was the hairstylist there thats only reason i stayed i did feel like walking but thats not me i though ok deep breath and carry on lol take it on chin etc and yes i think you are right my friend got put off for life sfter a bad experiance such a shame cause she was actually really good x

I wouldn't go back there hun I was in the same sorta position where I was in a salon and I felt so out of place and it's the worst thing ever I'm now mobile but work in a salon as a stylist on a Saturday and the salon is amazing you know when u have found the right one for you. They should be helping you at least your asking questions they hold be able to help you not be angry with you! Have a glass of wine xx
i know i was shocked they dont even let there employers have there hair done there at discounted price like what!! there ur employers your advert of your work etc and not only that the employers go else wjere for there hair doing ohh god been worst day in a long time lol and i am :biggrin

Oh and meant to say I'm a hair geek and I've been where you are, it's not nice and you will soon see how different it can be x

ok thankyou i just hope it has not knocked my confidence to much, im so sorry for these really feeling sorry for my self posts lol cause i am not normally like this at all i usually bounce back but its just bevause i have built it up all day and then came back and reflected on it and its all hit me and was worrying im not meant to be a hairdresser lol x

Hi I'm a hairdresser an I agree with the other posters that maybe this particular salon is not for you, not because of you tho but because as said above they are not willing to even show you the ropes, however I don't think you should quit I would stick it out for a bit longer an get a better perspective on things. I've worked for a big salon in the past an on my first day all the stylists presumed I was a junior without even speaking to me an instead of introducing themselves they immediately started ordering me around to sweep the floor, wash their clients hair etc, I was actually employed as a senior stylist lol, I politely told them I would be happy to help with there clients so long as they were willing to do the same for me when I had a client! This put some of the 'up themselves' stylist in their place and eventually we all got along. What I'm saying is the next time your in maybe go 15mins early an ask the manager to show you where things are, explain you would prefer to know so that you look professional in front of your clients, an if they ask you to do something you haven't done in training yet don't be afraid to say so, they can always show you an you can then have a go, after all aren't they supposed to be teaching you as you are an apprentice. Don't give up, just mark today as one of those days an start a fresh next time! HTH sorry for the long post I can't write anything short lol :)

Hi I'm a hairdresser an I agree with the other posters that maybe this particular salon is not for you, not because of you tho but because as said above they are not willing to even show you the ropes, however I don't think you should quit I would stick it out for a bit longer an get a better perspective on things. I've worked for a big salon in the past an on my first day all the stylists presumed I was a junior without even speaking to me an instead of introducing themselves they immediately started ordering me around to sweep the floor, wash their clients hair etc, I was actually employed as a senior stylist lol, I politely told them I would be happy to help with there clients so long as they were willing to do the same for me when I had a client! This put some of the 'up themselves' stylist in their place and eventually we all got along. What I'm saying is the next time your in maybe go 15mins early an ask the manager to show you where things are, explain you would prefer to know so that you look professional in front of your clients, an if they ask you to do something you haven't done in training yet don't be afraid to say so, they can always show you an you can then have a go, after all aren't they supposed to be teaching you as you are an apprentice. Don't give up, just mark today as one of those days an start a fresh next time! HTH sorry for the long post I can't write anything short lol :)

i did explain that i did not learn thisso they said you do this ok ill give it ago them nooo thats not right pointless stop!! ok but thats how i was taught i was also taught to section hair when blowdrying so you cam work mathodically and then she was moaning that hair was getting caught but she told me not to section and also they only had ine clip so what else could i have done it just left me confussed the son was telling me one way and then the mum was showing me a diffrent way so they were both saying i was doing it wrong if i follwed one of there ways :-/

and i did get there early 20 mins early but they told me to sit and wait on reception chair i think if i stuck this out maybe it could ruin me all together :-/ and i dont want that i love hairdressing yes ive nearly completed my level 2 but still does not make me qualfied not till after my level 3 and to be truthfull every thing tgey did today i have never had done even at a salon for one ive allways been gowned at the sink and ive been taught to do this they also so use a over half a tube of colour for i kid you not a a 4 inch hair style on root touch up and also slap it all over better to stain the skin than not get coverge oh god im so mega confused now but thankyou so much for your advice xx

Latest posts

Back