Salons opening close to you

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahknm

Reaction score
Hi there all. Has anyone has this problem. Did it affect your business much and did you lose any of your regulars?

Not sure but think a new one may be opening near to me.:sad:

Just had this happen to me, a new salon opened within a 1 minute walk!

They have basically copied my whole pricing structure and then undercut me by about 15%! I actually thought it quite amusing that they couldn't produce their own price structure.

Apart from that, yes, it has affected my business. You will find that your clients, even the most loyal and regular, will have a treatment in the new salon purely "out of interest". Hopefully, they will then come back to you moaning about the quality of their work! This is what has happened to me, so I just ask clients why they went there in the first place (they usually state the above answer).

I have not and will not bring myself down to their level. I have been in business for five years and know that the prices I am charging are needed to ensure the business continues etc.

Keep doing your best work and you will hopefully ride through it all. The clients you may lose will probably be the ones that prefer a cheap and cheerful treatment, and they are not the clients that will strengthen your business anyway.

Good luck, hope it's all ok for you in the end.

ps - do not, under any circumstances, slag off the other salon to clients. If they have done something badly, just state that you wouldn't have done it that way and give the professional reasons why.

Just had this happen to me, a new salon opened within a 1 minute walk!

They have basically copied my whole pricing structure and then undercut me by about 15%! I actually thought it quite amusing that they couldn't produce their own price structure.

Apart from that, yes, it has affected my business. You will find that your clients, even the most loyal and regular, will have a treatment in the new salon purely "out of interest". Hopefully, they will then come back to you moaning about the quality of their work! This is what has happened to me, so I just ask clients why they went there in the first place (they usually state the above answer).

I have not and will not bring myself down to their level. I have been in business for five years and know that the prices I am charging are needed to ensure the business continues etc.

Keep doing your best work and you will hopefully ride through it all. The clients you may lose will probably be the ones that prefer a cheap and cheerful treatment, and they are not the clients that will strengthen your business anyway.

Good luck, hope it's all ok for you in the end.

ps - do not, under any circumstances, slag off the other salon to clients. If they have done something badly, just state that you wouldn't have done it that way and give the professional reasons why.

just what i would have said...dont worry about them and concentrate on your business being better. x

Thanks I will let you know how it goes.

Will keep my chin up.:)

don't worry about them

focus on the good work you are doing

keep your head up

Yep, it happened to me too. The problem I faced was that I was quite hidden and not very well seen and they had the shop front which was next door but 1. I felt my adverts on the wall was just attracting new clients to them. Also clients that had been reccomended to come to me had gone there instead thinking it was my place.

Just a bit of bad luck but the beauty therapist was garbage anyway. By then, I had lost interest anyway and that was just the catalyst. Should have had more fighting spirit when I think about it but at the time I didnt care anymore. I had my little boy and nothing else mattered to me but him!!

If I was choosong a salon now - there is no way I would want to be next to another salon, not out of courtesy for the salon but just because it always looks crazy when you see 2newsagents, 2 chip shops, etc on small shopping parades. Who do you choose?

yep we have one round the corner, copied our price lists, or price list format even and our introductory offers!!!
no they didn't affect us, we are just better LOL

i am always worried another salon with a lot more start-up money than us will come and out market us and get some good staff, then it would be a massive problem.
much like the supermarkets killing the local butchers.

I'm just starting out from home, so i'm kind of on the "other side" of this as it were, in the fact that there are salons in my local area that i would be competing with.

The fact that I work from home puts me in a different league, but I have found it very difficult moral-wise knowing that i could potentially be drawing business away from others. There is an AMAZING salon just down the road that is really well established and I'm not even in the same league as them so i'm hoping that i will attract a different type of client.

I don't understand those business owners who start up on "someone elses patch" as it were, out of choice. Surely rather than competing directly with another salon, it would be better to find an area which is lacking this particular service offering and go from there!

It is a difficult situation, but look at it as an opportunity to push yourself a little bit further. How about introducing a new treatment that the other salon doesn't offer, little things can make a lot of difference.

I think its all about what your Unique Selling Proposition is - you, your clients and the competition should all know what it is. The stronger it is the more likely you are to be successful even if a salon opens next door to you.

Competition is always healthy, we should never take things for granted.
I live in a small town & we now have 14 hair salons, i'm amazed we are all busy :eek:

my so called business partner phoned me last night to say she was leaving because she is setting up somewhere else, she wants 1/2 stock and furniture from salon so she can set up, i have told her she can have what she wants she has turned out to be a thoroughly nasty person even waving scissors in my face and dissing my dad who died 2 weeks previous she is welcome to set up elsewhere, today she took all her client cards including some of mine but hey competition is good and she is so totally unhinged im sure clients will make up their own minds
bit of a rant:mad: there sorry folks feeling a bit used i have given her salon experience and as im a trainer she has also had plenty of free training:irked:
been a bit of a mug really:cry:
michele

hi all, you know what i think?? Tooo many beauty therapist in this world and not enough to go around for everyone. surely enough is enough, lol. :eek:

oh michelle just read your message, sorry to hear about your dad, and if you have to work and share your business with a worthless person like that, then you are probably better off without her, and if it was me i wouldn't have told her to take what she wanted, half means half. What ever she spend then let her take her half. Good luck :)

my so called business partner phoned me last night to say she was leaving because she is setting up somewhere else, she wants 1/2 stock and furniture from salon so she can set up, i have told her she can have what she wants she has turned out to be a thoroughly nasty person even waving scissors in my face and dissing my dad who died 2 weeks previous she is welcome to set up elsewhere, today she took all her client cards including some of mine but hey competition is good and she is so totally unhinged im sure clients will make up their own minds
bit of a rant:mad: there sorry folks feeling a bit used i have given her salon experience and as im a trainer she has also had plenty of free training:irked:
been a bit of a mug really:cry:
michele
I have just had to sack someone for turning bad.
Worst thing is she was a mate of my GF's from college.
Since she has gone we have found out loads of things she had done.
Stuff like telling people we were fully booked over the phone when we were not and being miserable and blunt with people.

In the begining she was great, god knows what went wrong but she just turned bad.
We actually had customers tipping us off that she was no good, left people waiting to be served etc while we were not there and stuff.

Latest posts

Back