Same two nails peeling - Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninki101

Reaction score
Hey girls. I have a client who has been having shellac every two weeks for the past few months. Always lasts brilliantly on her exept both index finger. These same two nails lift at the free edge and chip right back EVERY time. I have tried sandwiching (?!) in a layer of brisa but this did not help. Nor did an extra top coat. Any advi e on how to get over this problem as she now has 8 lovely long nails and two shorties!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

When you say you sandwiched with your Brisa gel, do you mean you applied the Brisa Gel first and then the Shellac?

make sure the two center bulbs in your lamp come on
is she using those two nails as tools?
does she by chance curl those two fingers a bit while in the lamp and block the cure?

make sure the two center bulbs in your lamp come on
is she using those two nails as tools?
does she by chance curl those two fingers a bit while in the lamp and block the cure?

Sounds like client interference to me or as Holly says, maybe one bulb out in the centre of your lamp. I always check at the beginning of service that all bulbs are on. However if that were the case, then they must be off every time you do her nails right?

Maybe she has a habit like I have Of 'feeling' the corners of those two nails and the constant feeling/playing can lift the product at the corner and then the teeth do the rest? I'd wager that that is what she is doing.

Actually I wonder if it is some nail issue.
The same exact thing happens to my index fingers and sometimes thumbs. Around the 3rd day they start peeling. Yes I probably use those more with typing, however these polishes are made for some daily wear and tear (so I thought). I have gone to 3 salons and this happens to me every time. I finally broke down and bought the system with a brand new CND light and now on day 3 my index fingers are starting to peel.
The last salon I went to used Axxium base coat and that seemed to make it last a little longer.
Another reason I switched to doing it myself is because 1) I plan on going to beauty school and 2) The techs around here have ruined my nails with buffing and not using the true shellac that I have asked for. I do things the proper way with capping the free edge. I only had 1 tech that actually did that.

Anyway, what do you ladies think? Is it a possibility that it is a nail issue?
Thanks!

Actually I wonder if it is some nail issue.
The same exact thing happens to my index fingers and sometimes thumbs. Around the 3rd day they start peeling. Yes I probably use those more with typing, however these polishes are made for some daily wear and tear (so I thought). I have gone to 3 salons and this happens to me every time. I finally broke down and bought the system with a brand new CND light and now on day 3 my index fingers are starting to peel.
The last salon I went to used Axxium base coat and that seemed to make it last a little longer.
Another reason I switched to doing it myself is because 1) I plan on going to beauty school and 2) The techs around here have ruined my nails with buffing and not using the true shellac that I have asked for. I do things the proper way with capping the free edge. I only had 1 tech that actually did that.

Anyway, what do you ladies think? Is it a possibility that it is a nail issue?
Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean by a nail issue? I think it is a wear and tear issue and those nails are just being used much more than the normal wear and tear of the others.

My mum's does this, same fingers, doesn't matter what you do, they start to chip at the free edge.

She is very hard on her hands and these fingers she uses as tools...if there's a bit of stubborn dirt on anything she picks and scratches it. When her nails get a bit longer she then also becomes a tapper...don't ask me why, but when thinking she taps her index finger obviously the nail getting the brunt of it...the same fingers all the time. I'm lucky that I can see what happens and why, or I would be very upset with my work.

She now understands why it happens and has bought gloves for the first time ever, some for washing up and some for gardening. She will be having Shellac back on after my rebalance day next week, so we'll see how it goes xx

My mum's does this, same fingers, doesn't matter what you do, they start to chip at the free edge.

She is very hard on her hands and these fingers she uses as tools...if there's a bit of stubborn dirt on anything she picks and scratches it. When her nails get a bit longer she then also becomes a tapper...don't ask me why, but when thinking she taps her index finger obviously the nail getting the brunt of it...the same fingers all the time. I'm lucky that I can see what happens and why, or I would be very upset with my work.

She now understands why it happens and has bought gloves for the first time ever, some for washing up and some for gardening. She will be having Shellac back on after my rebalance day next week, so we'll see how it goes xx

Many people are completely unaware of the habits they have developed over a lifetime. Myself included. They need to be made aware of the things they do ... and then they need to act on stopping it.

Many people are completely unaware of the habits they have developed over a lifetime. Myself included. They need to be made aware of the things they do ... and then they need to act on stopping it.

Having seen it first hand with her, I completely agree. It's certainly given me a new outlook on people and their habit's, she now has gloves and solar oil and will hopefully look after her nails now she understands a bit more about them. I'm trying to educate her :rolleyes:

It's just a shame for the techs who think their work is at fault when the majority of the time it is the clients aftercare xx

Latest posts

Back