sanitizing buffers, shiners, etc

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Christie's Nails

Reaction score
I am interested to know how everyone deals with buffers and shiners.

I got this buffer from OPI that is sort of shaped like...hmmm what shape is that...well kinda shaped like a coffin. lol sorry all I can think of. Anyway.. I really like this buffer. But how the heck do ya sanitize the thing?? The owner of the beauty supply store said..."oh just stick it in your marvicide" But that makes buffers look so gross!

I bought a whole bunch of little..sand turtle (I think that is what they are called) sand turtle buffers. They are great. So when I used them once I scrubbed them clean and plopped them in marvicide and...yuck! they absorbed the blue and now look all dingy and gross.

Three way shiners I am wondering about too. Anything that has all that foam padding seems to suck up the color from the marvicide/barbicide and look gross. But these items are way too expensive to only use once and throw away...

What does everyone else do?? :?:

its called a ? oh heck i cant remember :twisted: just looked on my price list and cant see a name ???so how on earth did i order it :huh: any way i spray mine with 99% antiseptic spray. probabaly the wrong thing to do but thats what college told us to do :study: any other ways to do it would be helpfull to me to :D

nicola

What I generally do is:

Use a manicure brush and a cleansing agent (anti-bacterial soap or citrusoak for example) to wash and sanitise the abrasives.

Then I sspray with an EPA hospital grade disinfectant. Here we have something called chlorispray.

I dont submerge abrasives as many are not submergable.

Does this work with Hawaiian state board?

I have not heard of chlorispray. But I assume it is similar to Marvicide/Barbicide? All hospital grade disinfectants that can kill aids virus.
So ya spray it huh? hmmm Had not used it as a spray. I thought everything had to be emmersed. I will look into that.

The Hawaii state board is sadly lacking in rules. They say to "operate in a safe manner" That is our big rule. Nothing specific. So I self impose all my sanitation and disinfection habits.

Thanks for the info, I thought you were gonna be away for a few? Are you going to tell everyone?

Spray disinfectant are few and far between now adays. CND used to have True Blue which was a QUATS based dininfectant, but that is no more.
You dont have to submerge, just cover with solution and let stand for the required amount of time.

I cringe to think what submerging my Girlfreiend into a disinfectant would do :puke:
Make it go all squishy and blue... like a drowned one of these -> :papasmurf:

Anyhoo... I leave Tuesday morning. I hate to name drop... so ill leave it hanging :) damn its so hard though!

Tooooooooooodles

[bDoes that chlori spray make u choke? I use a spray by star nails with chloriform (whatever its called) and it absolutely makes me and my clients have a coughing fit :pukeon:

Amanda said:
Does that chlori spray make u choke?

Im still alive :)

I don't think you should have a problem. Just dont try to spray it at your clients to disinfect them. That would most likely piss em off :)

Toooodles

hi all

i use chlori spray and as the geek says i'm still alive it does not choke you infact it's quite a pleasent clean smell

:D

With all this stuff going back and forth about cross contamination and the like I finally took the plunge and advised all my clients, both old and new, to purchase a nail pack. Basically it is a set of 3 files:- my Hot Shot (100/180), Koala (240/1200) and Black Velvet 240/240 emery type file. These files are sanitised (Chlorispray) after use, wrapped in couch roll and placed in an envelope with the Client's name on. I charge the client £2.50 for the 3 and then £1.00 for each new file thereafter (basically cost price).

The majority of my clients seem more than happy to do this once I've discussed the possibility of X contamination. For the one's who don't I use another set that gets sanitised after each client. That is their choice.

Adele

what damn good idea - well done and if the clients are happy - even better :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back