SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msrrx

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Was hoping if any former students of Sassoon Academy could help me with some questions I have about the beginners diploma, because I haven’t been able to find anything online about the experience in depth and what the course is actually like.

- What awarding body (eg. City and Guilds) do they use for their NVQ?
- What exams are there? I know Sassoon teach you their cuts and colours but are you just tested on the NVQ required ones?
- How do exams go if they’re not able to provide you with a model, do you do it on someone in class or have to find your own?
- How many students are in the class?
- Do the teachers give you one to one time or is it demonstration and then you just practice yourself (like in college)?
- Are you confident as a hairdresser after attending the course?

Thanks x

Last edited:
Hi! I attended Sassoon academy in London 4 years ago and completed their ABC colour course. It was an amazing experience and the educators are fantastic and informative speakers. We didn’t have to do any exams however I’m not sure if the course you’re looking at will be different. Every day we had a morning of demonstrations and then each had model clients in the afternoon which Sassoon organised for us. The educators also help each student with every consultation and we decided together what will need to be done.

Honestly when I did the course I was a second year apprentice in Australia and I still took A LOT away from the course. I’ve now been fully qualified for a few years now and I truly cherish the experience I had at the academy in 2015.

Thank you so much for replying! I was looking at the diploma which is NVQ Level 2 (& 3?) so I just assumed there is exams..

The teaching sounds really great tbh.. if you took a lot away in just five days then six months should definitely prepare me for my journey. After your cut/colour do they ever correct it or give you feedback on how to do it better? I know most places just say “yeah it’s fine, you’ve passed” and then move on. Thanks again for all the info :) xx

I also completed their ABC course and it’s for already qualified hairdressers so they help to hone and build up your existing skills. I originally completed my level 2 and level 3 via college courses which is fine but you don’t get the in-depth support from college tutors as they simply haven’t the time available.

The NVQ offered by Sassoon is probably one of THE BEST taught hairdressing courses in the world and if you can afford to do it, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it over a bog standard college course. When I was there, there were only a handful of UK students and several international students in my group, such is it’s global reputation.

Thank you! That’s exactly what I was worried about - I’ve actually gone to 2-3 normal colleges to study hairdressing but was so disappointed and I lost motivation due to the poor teaching, so left every one without getting the NVQ. It’s good to know that’s Sassoon is nothing like that.

It’s definitely expensive for the diploma course but from the positive reviews you guys have given me, I think I’ll go for it :)

Latest posts

Back