Sausage Factory Shortcutting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Geek

Grand Master Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
All professionals are now aware that the faster they work the more clients they can get through the turnstile and therefore the more money they can dump in their bank account. The addiction to the ‘sausage-factory –nail-salon’ mentality is that the shortcuts used to expedite clients through the chair actually lead to a dangerously low standard of quality. To paraphrase a famous saying, ‘wherever shortcuts are taken, long delays are made’. Those delays are what are really at the root of the decay in the quality of our industry’s work.

Want an example? I’ve got a perfect one that doesn’t just pick on those working in High Volume Low Cost salons: The French Tip.

Nail ‘professionals’ who do not want to take the time to master smile line applications with liquid and powder frequently fall prey to the ‘smile line shortcut’ by using French tips.

Heck why not use French tips? They can produce consistent looking smile lines, you don’t have to bother with blending, By gosh and golly – all applications should be so easy!

The problem is two fold: The first being that those that lack the skill of producing smile lines, lack the skill to produce beautiful nails. Yup – bring on the hate mail – you still can’t deny the fact! Smile lines are not difficult to do when you have skilled control of your product.

Application skills are like a muscle – if you don’t use them, you lose them. Avoiding your smile line applications with liquid and powder is equivalent to eating a super sized Big Mac meal (complete with fries) for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and then having your exercise regimen consist of fingering your remote between ‘Wife swapping’ and ‘Eastenders’.

[break]The second problem (and the actual point I am taking my sweet time getting around to) is that your enhancement will be weaker! With proper application, an unblended tip will take up the bulk of the finished product at the extension edge. This means the strength is coming from the tip and not you’re the product. Obviously this increases the risk of repair work from cracking and breaking which will cost you more time and unhappy clients in the long run wont it?

Ok, maybe your clients aren’t having so many issues with cracking and breaking to the point where it is a ‘problem’ for you in the salon. Know what that tells me? It tells me that you have over compensated for the thickness of the unblended tip by adding even more product! Here is the delay with that shortcut: You will have just increased the amount of time it takes to Rebalance and maintain the enhancements. Not only that, it also means that you will end up using more aggressive techniques during your Rebalance and maintenance appointments. You know what that means? You will be gradually weakening the enhancement over time which (you guessed it) leads to an enhancement that will be more likely to crack and break!

This concept is not applicable to just the use of French Tips. It is applicable to many areas of our services; using nippers to remove lifting, using ‘fill line’ blenders/removers, using electric files, etc…

The real hilarious aspect of taking shortcuts to save time is that when payback comes around in the form of lifting, breaking, or yellowing… Technicians go into panic mode and pull out even more shortcuts to save time on fixing the problems caused by their previous shortcuts!

The only way to truly work faster and to make more money is to work smarter and to do things correctly from the start. Shortcuts don’t make immediate long delays; they are the seeds that are planted and that have to be dealt with on another day. Take a shortcut today and take care of the problems later or invest your time wisely so that you are working the smart way not the hard way.

Or you could say: Take your shortcuts today and make problems for yourself in the future. Or you avoid becoming another sausage factory could invest your time wisely by taking preventative measures now rather than corrective measures later. Call your training provider to upgrade your skills and your quality.

Here here Samuel, my sentiments exactly. I think its the same with just about anything - taking shortcuts can lead to longer delays in the long run. Great article. I remember the first place I trained to do nails - it was using french tips (no blending needed and therefore saves you loads of time!!), it maybe saved time to start with but there was no way you could have had nice natural thin enhancements because as you said more product was needed - which in turn meant longer rebalances.

I so agree on this...I learnt the 'hard way' (fully scultptured) right from the start. Ok maybe it took me longer to produce a beautiful set of nails but hey, my smiles are smiling all the time now and I save time and money by doing mostly scullptured nails and not tips. I believe 'white tips' are ok for a one off or a quicky job on yourself if you can't sculpt on your opposite hand, but I really don't believe anyone should charge full price for this service. I may have hated it at the time but I am thankful now that I was trained the way I was.

If you cannot do a smile line you cannot do a glitter tip, just think of all those extra £5 you gonna loose!!!

great advice it really does pay off to do the right thing doesnt it!

Another good article for new techs to ponder....in this age where everyone wants to work quicker.

Latest posts

Back