Saying goodbye to clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NapalmFairy

Reaction score
I've been a nail tech for 12 years and, as much as I love doing it, I've decided to close my business at the end of the year and walk away from the beauty industry for awhile. I'm leaving mainly due to stress, feeling unappreciated, and feeling like a majority of my clientele are toxic personalities (#SmallTownProblems). It's a choice I've wrestled with for a couple of years so it's not a hasty decision. I haven't made the official announcement as I'm waiting till December 1 to tell my clients. Here's where my problem lies: there are a few of my clients I genuinely like. They've almost become more friends than clients and it's going to kill me to say goodbye to them. I know my decision to leave is the right one for me and I know they'll understand, but I have a soft heart and I'm just having trouble dealing with how to tell them. Any advice?

I've been a nail tech for 12 years and, as much as I love doing it, I've decided to close my business at the end of the year and walk away from the beauty industry for awhile. I'm leaving mainly due to stress, feeling unappreciated, and feeling like a majority of my clientele are toxic personalities (#SmallTownProblems). It's a choice I've wrestled with for a couple of years so it's not a hasty decision. I haven't made the official announcement as I'm waiting till December 1 to tell my clients. Here's where my problem lies: there are a few of my clients I genuinely like. They've almost become more friends than clients and it's going to kill me to say goodbye to them. I know my decision to leave is the right one for me and I know they'll understand, but I have a soft heart and I'm just having trouble dealing with how to tell them. Any advice?
It's a shame you feel you have to give up something you love, but you've obviously given it a lot of thought.
Can you not keep the few that you like doing?
If there's only a few clients, you could get another job and do those for extra money and just keep on touch doing what you love x

I feel for you, it will be tough and there will be tears.
However you must do what is right for you. I had to tell some of my clients of 20 years or more that I would no longer be able to continue to see them. It was really hard to do, especially as I wasn't actually closing...seemed like I was unfairly choosing which ones to let go of.
I just said at the end of their appointment "Now I have got something that I need to tell you, and it is with a heavy heart that I will not be able to do your treatments from now."
There were 3 clients that were getting harder on my body, and emotinally draining, or turned up always late and just wouldn't go home. These were whom I chose.
1st lady was just lovely and said she said do what is right for you- she knew my neck and hands are quite arthritic because of the job.
2nd lady was vile - and her attitude just made me think ,get lost basically. So she is no loss to me now, quite the unsympathetic spoilt woman.
3rd lady cried and was so gracious, so I cried too. Her illness made me have to maul far more than my body could handle anymore. What a lady though!

So you are to expect very different reactions form them, but if I were you cherry pick those nasties out and try to reduce those ones, keeping the nurturing lovely clients that give you something back.
Let us know how you go on.

Last edited:

It’s easy to think clients are friends but realistically, 99% of the time, if they started off as a client, they never will be a proper friend. There’s always an element of you being the service provider and one that can’t exactly say what you are thinking because you need to keep their business.

I love my clients and some of them are very very much like friends, I love my job; but from experience I understand that it is often one sided. They come to us to relax/offload, but we just end up totally and utterly drained if we try to be friends because it just doesn’t work vice versa.

Any client that you think is toxic to you, don’t even bother saying goodbye in person.

If they are the type to kick off I’d just send a polite email to thank them for their loyal custom over the years. Don’t book any new appointments, say you’ve not got anything for a while as you are going on holiday. They don’t need to know how long for or why or if you are coming back.

I had one right nutcase tell me ‘I come to you because my usual lady has cancer.’ I was like god that terrible is she doing ok? She goes ‘I don’t care, she is a total waste of space not being there when I need her for a tan.’ I was disgusted...casually didn’t invite her back.

Do you think if you started afresh with a new target market you would feel better?

I know that when I stopped using Facebook after an awful incident...my clientele became more upmarket and kinder and less inclined to be after a bargain. I started with just my favourite regulars and didn’t book anyone new for a while. When I did It was like a new lease of life, a totally new job. No more awful bargain hunters moaning about everything and instead lovely clients that choose me because they appreciate me and what I can do for them.

I think the saddest part of what you wrote was that you feel underappreciated. The thing is, when you run the business that’s your job - to boost your own morale. Asking immediately ‘are you happy with your treatment?’ instead of giving an open question like what do you think, because then it invites criticisms and often people will fish for one just to have something to say. That’s just a little something I do when I want to know for sure if I’m doing a good job. Yes or no. Very easy.

Latest posts

Back