Scalp bleach reaction on client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilly27

Reaction score
hi, one of my stylists has had a client who has had a bad reaction to a scalp bleach. she used blondeme and 6% and towards the end the girl said it was burning so she took it off used milkshake silver shine on the lengths and ends for a while to try and tone. she had used cold air on the girl from the hairdryer after applying as the salon was warm and she told the girl it was because it helps keep her scalp cool when she has her own scalp bleach done, she also told the client that they had taken it off early as the clients head was hurting and that is why it wasnt as light or pale as they client had requested but they could work towards it next time! There was no skin test done as it was bleach being applied and the client has been before with no issues, she was a regular. She also told our junior to shampoo gently with cool water afterwards so as not to irritate the clients head any further! SO the clients mother has went to a solicitor and is claiming through my insurance. has twisted alot of my employees words and said that the client told stylist several times it was burning! Ive checked with other staff working at the time and they have said this didnt happen.
The photos sent to me of the clients scalp are not good and I know it happened at my salon and feel awful about it. This hasnt happened to me before, the insurance are coming to the salon to interview my employee. I am really worried that my insurance wont cover this, has anyone had any experience of this before?

I realise that you must be feeling very stressed about this so I recommend you hand it over to your insurance company and let them deal with it . Try not to get into the “he said/she said” back and forth arguments because it’s likely to drive you demented worrying about it. Let your insurance company do their job because that’s what you’re paying them for.

For the future, use this as a learning opportunity for your staff so that they all know what to do if a client complains about any sensitivity issues. Preferably, include a section in your staff handbook that has a checklist to follow that stops staff deviating from the procedure and doing anything silly. It also provides evidence that your staff acted professionally at all times.

Unfortunately, I think you were mistaken not to have insisted on carrying out a skin test because after bleaching, you still need to tone using a tint, that will contain PPD or similar, even if it’s only on the scalp for a short length of time.

I still do a skin test with a direct dye even though it’s not essential because I’m of the view that you can’t be too careful when maintaining a professional reputation. If you become known for being strict about these things, you’re less likely to get someone trying to scam you, not that I’m suggesting that your client in this case wasn’t genuine.

Chin up, you’ll be fine. 👍🏻

I realise that you must be feeling very stressed about this so I recommend you hand it over to your insurance company and let them deal with it . Try not to get into the “he said/she said” back and forth arguments because it’s likely to drive you demented worrying about it. Let your insurance company do their job because that’s what you’re paying them for.

For the future, use this as a learning opportunity for your staff so that they all know what to do if a client complains about any sensitivity issues. Preferably, include a section in your staff handbook that has a checklist to follow that stops staff deviating from the procedure and doing anything silly. It also provides evidence that your staff acted professionally at all times.

Unfortunately, I think you were mistaken not to have insisted on carrying out a skin test because after bleaching, you still need to tone using a tint, that will contain PPD or similar, even if it’s only on the scalp for a short length of time.

I still do a skin test with a direct dye even though it’s not essential because I’m of the view that you can’t be too careful when maintaining a professional reputation. If you become known for being strict about these things, you’re less likely to get someone trying to scam you, not that I’m suggesting that your client in this case wasn’t genuine.

Chin up, you’ll be fine. 👍🏻
Yes unfortunately I wasn't there as I am off with a bad injury or it wouldn't have happened and I've only got the staff's word for what happened and yep at the end of the day its happened and its happened because of the colour applied to her hair. I feel awful for the client! Im just hoping the insurance does pay out for her as its so stressful and I don't know how I'd cope if it was taken further! Thanks for getting back to me and Ive taken on board about our handbook, Ill have to update it asap

Latest posts

Back