Scalp irritation after bleaching

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjade88

Reaction score
Hi, so yesterday I recently got my whole head bleached, and went through a lot of pain, which was made known to my hairdresser. She continued and said that it was normal. I had told her I had seborrheic dermatitis and had an extremely sensitive scalp. By the end of the session my hair was practically on fire, and was nowhere close to the color I had wanted (I have dark brown hair and was hoping for a more lighter brown/dark blonde). When I got home, my scalp was swollen, red, and extremely irritated and I had two pretty big bald spots in my hair. It hurt to touch so I practically slept on my face. This morning, I feel no more pain, and it is only stiff and sore. My entire scalp feels like it can't move, and I think it's scabbing over. Is there any suggestions any of you have moving forward? Any kind of treatment I can use? Thanks!

Hi, so yesterday I recently got my whole head bleached, and went through a lot of pain, which was made known to my hairdresser. She continued and said that it was normal. I had told her I had seborrheic dermatitis and had an extremely sensitive scalp. By the end of the session my hair was practically on fire, and was nowhere close to the color I had wanted (I have dark brown hair and was hoping for a more lighter brown/dark blonde). When I got home, my scalp was swollen, red, and extremely irritated and I had two pretty big bald spots in my hair. It hurt to touch so I practically slept on my face. This morning, I feel no more pain, and it is only stiff and sore. My entire scalp feels like it can't move, and I think it's scabbing over. Is there any suggestions any of you have moving forward? Any kind of treatment I can use? Thanks!
You need to nurse this like a baby.
Try not to wash your hair for a few days, any kind of agitation will make it worse. When you do wash it use a mild shampoo with a low PH level. Luke Warm water, no heat styling. If accessible try a scalp treatment - maybe a scalp tonic would be a good idea. You definitely need to let the hairdresser know what kind of state your hair and scalp is in. The fact that she continued the process when you told her how much discomfort you were in - is unprofessional.
To be honest if you have scalp problems already, bleaching your hair from the scalp is a bad idea from the start. A global bleach - no matter how gentle is a very invasive process - even more so if your scalp is sensitivity or damaged.
If the tightness continues or you get any blisters it may be worth contacting your GP or pharmacy and they may suggest you use a hydrocortisone cream. But this would only be in severe cases I should imagine.

Last edited:
Poor you. No, that is not normal. A slight tingling is acceptable but actual physical pain isn’t and she should have removed the product as soon as you told her that were suffering some discomfort.

I wonder if she was using a bleach product formulated for scalp bleaching or a product that is intended for use in foils only?

As your scalp feels very tight, I’d be inclined to seek medical advice from your GP or a Pharmacist in case you need medical treatment rather than try any diy home remedies.

Latest posts

Back