Scam or should I take seriously? Help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sara x

Reaction score
I am very naive when it comes to all things to do with computer scams etc and know that there are some very clever geeks out there who I hope may be able to help me.
Looked in my hotmail account today (which I hardly ever use) and there is a reciept from the apple store US for 699 dollars sent on Feb 15th, it says to check for details of order to cancel etc. I checked my account and it doesnt look like anything has been taken out of it.

I have never bought anything from the apple store and haven't lost my card or anything ontoward happened.

I havent clicked/done anything on email as I don't know whether to ignore or take seriously.

Is this a common thing?

Please can anyone give me advice as I don't know if I should be worried or not! Thanks everyone x

If it hasnt come out i wouldnt worry maybe ring the bank to make sure. Its probaly just to make u open the mail. X

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

Thanks Chazz, I thought that which was why I didn't click on anything further. Its just a bit worrying, you're right, will call bank x

If it was from apple and you are a apple user the email would be addressed to you with your full name. HTH xx

Thanks Leely, I'm not and it wasn't so you're right! Starting to feel less worried x

No worries, there are loads of scams going around at the mo via hotmail. I've had ones from PayPal, the government and even people offering millions if I give them my bank details x

I get a whole bunch of emails everyday that are spam.
If the information doesnt apply to you then its spam. Dont click anything on the email as once you do that they will constantly bombard you with emails as they then know that email address is active.
Also remember, if its something important, you wouldnt get an email, but you would be receiving a phone call or at best a letter in the post.

Thanks Miss Pink, much appreciated x

I will put this bluntly but not unfairly.

There's a load of script developers out there that crawl the web, Google's niche was created through this process but theirs of course is relatively legit if you keep your head out of the politics involved with their accuised harbouring of customer data.

If you leave your email address on a forum visible to the world there will come a point when a malicious or spam attack will come across your address and use that to try and either spam you with deals you don't want or con you into giving out personal information.

The best way to conquer this is to create 2 emails (preferably keeping away from hotmail or msn anything microsoft related is just asking for trouble, that's the blunt but fair part (I used hotmail myself)) thats the fair point over with!)

The best way to handle this is to use membership subscriptions even this forum for one you know you are going to get spammed on and any critical ones you don't give out on memberships when someone could potentially steal you email, one option is to close your existing email address that has allot of these (if that situation applies) and make a new one eventually they will stop using your email I used to have one with say a full stop in it, but now they barely use that and thinking of going back to it (though at the moment I don't have much time because of doing some background work on a PGCHE I am starting at the end of October.)

But yes in a nutshell if you haven't got an account with say a bank and they send you say your online accounts disabled it's a really good indication to say do not trust this, or any other account for that reason (one of the reasons why I created my own is it blocks anything like that and I keep alot tighter rules about spamming, infact I have a service specifically for making sure these spam bots that go around on the web get rejected the first time and a legit email will get through because their service will usually retry, spammers don't ever retry so cuts out allot of spam).

Good luck with it!

Latest posts

Back