Scared of an up coming operation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lush-Lash

Reaction score
evening ladies / gents.

I have to have an operation in 2 weeks, to have my left fallopian tube removed (my right tube has already been removed a few years ago due to an ectopic pregnancy but this was done by an emergency op) I had another ectopic last year & the hospital salvaged my left tube for some crazy unknown reason, They should of taken it there & then as it was badly damaged. Anyway thats another story.

I'm currently in the middle of having Ivf or I was until this got in the way!

The left tube has developed something called hydrosalpinx that was discovered late last year, I was told the tube might not need to come out depending on the severity but a recent scan has shown my tube has doubled in size & will most definetly hinder any chance of conception.. The hydrosalpinx of the size i have is harmful to Ivf & will more than likely prevent any embryos from implanting. so much so my consultant put my Ivf chance of success at 3% with the tube still in & the chance of another ectopic at 85% so my consultant won't pursue any further until it's dealt with. I got the letter through & I thought it'll be months away.... erm try this month :(

I know it has to be done, & I know I'm being a baby but in all honesty I'm scared sh!tless to the point of having sleepless nights & being sick.

I know I've had an op before but it was an emergency so no time to dwell upon it, I was rushed in & that was that.

This time I KNOW it's happening & the times edging closer & closer, I feel sick sick sick! it's not just the op I'm scared of, I'm also scared of waking up totally infertile which I will be with no tubes but mainly I'm scared of the fact I only have Ivf to rely on. It's not like I can go onto & have a 'miracle' natural pregnancy with no tubes is it.

I'm also scared something bad happens & I don't wake up (yes I'm being ott & you can laugh as my husband already has) but I can't help thinking it.

I've never had cysts on my ovarys in my life my problem has always been tubal, but I've had 2, 3cm cysts decide to grow on my right ovary... typical hey things like to add to my problems, my surgeon is taking the cysts while I'm under, I also have to have my fallopian tube stumps (couldn't think of the medical word used to describe it) burnt down, & any scar tissue lasered from my womb, he said my op could take upto 5 hours :eek:

He's going to try do laparoscopy but he said with the tidying up he has to do he can't promise it won't be laparotomy (open) surgery. that's just the beginning of it all as 11 days after the op providing I'm well I'm back at the Ivf unit to start my Ivf all over again.

Do you know when you wish you could run away & come back to everything fixed?? well I wish that just for once that could happen right now (sorry, people probably have worser problems than this) but for me this is a major ordeal. it's always one thing after another with me, get one thing sorted then something else happens, i hope it doesn't look like I'm feeling sorry for myself because I'm not i just needed to have a vent for once xx

Last edited:
I do not know what to say but I couldn't read and run. Those cysts need to go and you need to be healthy. Nothing worse than a 6cm cyst twisting on itself trust me!

I have has cysts before, during and after all of my.6 pregnancies, I went have 4 beautiful babies! My 4th grew alongside the cyst. And I have 1 tube!

I wanted to tell you this so u know that u could go on to have happy healthy babies and be a perfect healthy mum!

I know it's scary but this is just the start of a journey! Which will hopefully have a happy ending! I'm sure it will. You can do this xxx

Oh sweetheart I do feel for you.

It's no use saying don't worry, of course you're worried and scared, that's just a normal human response.

Iv'e had several operations, and like you, put a brave face on but inside you're just churning.

Try to have faith in the medical profession, I'm sure everything will have a positive outcome, your surgeon seems very understanding, so maybe try and tell him your worries and concerns? I think he will do his utmost to re assure you.

thinking of you. xx

Aww I really feel for you. I know it's hard but if you have the support of family and friends you will get through this.

I had an 8cm cyst on my left ovary which was borderline cancerous. Had the cyst, tube and ovary removed and they said it would be very difficult to conceive again. I then went onto having a baby girl on December last year, had more scan and appointments than my 2 boys but they wanted to make sure all was ok.

I really hope this has helped.

Good luck hun, hope all is ok for you.

xxxxx

I'm sorry your worried about your op but it needs done and ur surgeon will do everything he can for you! However I know exactly how ur feeling, my 1st op was an emergency to stop me bleeding (mega) after my daughters birth they thought they might had to give me a hysterectomy at 24 that was scary! Op was a success eventually long winded story but they sorted me out! That was nearly 3 yes ago and last Monday I had open surgery on my tum for a hernia that came about because I had 3 pregnancies back to back and my tummy muscles never knitted back together! My surgeon was fantastic and done a fantastic job! Even took a wee slither of saggy skin away so kinda got a wee tuck too!
You need to put yourself thru this to give your ivf a good chance of working! I wish you all the best and look after yourself

Thank u for all your replies ladies xx

Ive been for my pre op today & had to have ecg, bloods, swabs for mrsa etc.. ecg shows I have 3 abnormalities with my heart something called IRBBB (incomplete right bundle branch block) which I knew about anyway, it was picked up last year but it's nothing that requires treatment so not too fussed over this & the other things that were detected today was LVH (left ventricular hypertrophy) & some kind of arrythmia defect i dont have the name to hand? will post back when i know, i can't remember exactly what as my head was fuzzy when she told me all of this! so I now have to go for an echocardiogram & maybe a few more tests :( but they are still doing my op next week so I'm even more nervous now! Feel like cancelling it but then i wont be having ivf so i need it done, ive scared myself silly on google & now I daren't leave the sofa in case I keel over & die.. (drama queen!)

god only knows why I typed in 'anaesthetic when you have a heart complaint' what was i thinking???? a simple life would be nice you know! x

You will be fine! My surgeon told me not to google! 1st thing I done of course! Keep calm and remember why u are doing this! 🌸

Aw love. I have nothing more useful to say that the other ladies haven't already said. Didn't want to just lurk or read and run so I'll simply offer you a great big squeezy cyber hug. xxx

Did want to read and run, you have loads to deal with and a lot on your mind it's natural to be worried, am I wrong in thinking you had the heart problem when you got last op? If so the surgeon knows exactly what's good for you and he wouldn't be carrying out op if there was any risk. Sorry if I'm rambling it's been a long day lol, you take care and give us update xxxx

Aww you poor thing. I really feel for you as I remember when I needed my hysterectomy I was scared senseless which was very unlike me, it's just that I was scared I'd feel empty afterwards if you know what I mean. Anyway fast forward and it was for the best as I would've been life threateningly ill if it had been left. What I'm trying to say is I'm sure it's not going to be as bad as you imagine (we're our own worst enemies sometimes !) and also look on it as a stepping stone to get over on your journey to be a mum. I'm sure you will look back one day and think thank goodness you had it done. Make sure you tell your nurse how worried you are and I'm sure they'll do everything they can to put you at ease (mine made sure I was first down to surgery do I wasn't sitting around stressing)
I wish you so much luck and I'm sure it will all go well. Just give yourself time to heal physically and emotionally before starting the ivf so you're in the best possible position for a happy outcome.
Good luck sweetheart xx

Awww lush, I'm sorry that this happening to you :( lots of love and hugs. Your gonna do just fine xoxoxoxo

Well geeks tomorrow is the day, going to bed in a minute to 'try' get some sleep, just want this all over with, fingers crossed all goes to plan tomorrow xx

Sent from my HTC Desire C using SalonGeek

Good luck hun ... you'll be just fine.

Just wanted to wish you the absolute best of luck for today hun 😘 xxx

Thinking of you lovely 😘

Ok ladies I'm alive (thank god)

v sore & tired but thought I'd update, will give a more detailed report when I feel better hopefully tomorrow, at home now & I just can't get comfy to get any sleep booo, thanks for all your well wishes, your all angels x

Glad it all went well :)

Ok ladies I'm alive (thank god)

v sore & tired but thought I'd update, will give a more detailed report when I feel better hopefully tomorrow, at home now & I just can't get comfy to get any sleep booo, thanks for all your well wishes, your all angels x

Glad it went well.. Try to rest as much as you can. Hope you have a speedy recovery xx 😘

Ah glad it went well, rest is sooo important for a speedy recovery so don't forget.
Get better soon x x 💐💐💐

Well done you! Hope you're resting up now. Take good care. Hugs xxx

Latest posts

Back