Scared of the drill!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roLLerGirL

Reaction score
I've hd 2 infills so far & I knew that these days most salons use a drill... but it didn't prepare me for it!

It's SO scary giving my hands to someone who has an abrasive drill in their hand. I can just imagine that one day something REALLY BAD is going to happen.

I've had a couple of burns - never drawn blood but it hurts SO MUCH for a few seconds. I'm finding that I'm so nervous that I'm thinking about giving acrylics up!

Have you told them that it hurts...??

There are plenty of people who use an e-file without hurting and there are plenty of techs who don't use an e-file.

You should never experience pain while having your nails done.

I've hd 2 infills so far & I knew that these days most salons use a drill... but it didn't prepare me for it!

It's SO scary giving my hands to someone who has an abrasive drill in their hand. I can just imagine that one day something REALLY BAD is going to happen.

I've had a couple of burns - never drawn blood but it hurts SO MUCH for a few seconds. I'm finding that I'm so nervous that I'm thinking about giving acrylics up!

There are many salons that do not use drills. Why don't you have a ring round your local salons to find one that doesn't ?

if you have been burnt by a drill that is no doubt where the fear has come from

a good tech should cause any pain when doing your nails

find a local tech who doesn't use a drill

Before I became a nail technician I used to have my nails done by the same lady all the time.

She used to:
Eat her dinner whilst doing my nails
Use her mobile whilst doing my nails
Never sanitise
Never change the towels
And ALWAYS burn and cut me with her e-file

It gave me some lessons in how to act when I qualified but I think I would always fear a e-file coming towards me in someone elses hands.

The important thing is that it should NEVER hurt or cut the skin, thats improper use. Now I am fully qualified with me e-file and I know how to use it properly. However if I came accross a client who feared it due to a bad experience before I wouldn't have a problem hand filling if it made her feel more comfortable. I don't tend to go over the product covering the bed anyway, I always hand file this. I only use mine to remove glitter if the client is having a change, xx

Have you told them that it hurts...??

There are plenty of people who use an e-file without hurting and there are plenty of techs who don't use an e-file.

You should never experience pain while having your nails done.

the salon i go to also uses an electric drill and ive gotta say it burns like a b***h i thought this was normal..:eek:

I use an electric file and i am always asking my clients if they are alright and to tell me if it gets warm at all (i must drive them mad asking all the time) i can honestly say i have never hurt anyone with it other than myself when i first qualified to used it and only ever practised on myself till i was confident.

One question though (for anyone) if the tech is hurting you why don't you tell her and if she keeps hurting why go back to that tech ?

the salon i go to also uses an electric drill and ive gotta say it burns like a b***h i thought this was normal..:eek:
Definately not normal, having your nails done is meant to be a happy and relaxing experience....are you going to a discount/NSS salon, conveyor belt style?

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but I know of a local nail tech who puts on a gel which softens the acrylic. She doesn't file at all. One of the lady's I work with goes to her and was telling me about it. I'd never heard of it before. Does anyone know what this is and does anyone do this?

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but I know of a local nail tech who puts on a gel which softens the acrylic. She doesn't file at all. One of the lady's I work with goes to her and was telling me about it. I'd never heard of it before. Does anyone know what this is and does anyone do this?
I have seen OTC removal gels, I'd guess it's like that. You have to file, or else it would be unbalanced.

My fear started before I even encountered the drill I suppose - hearing about the "rings of fire"..... but hasn't been deminished by the times I've been burnt.

Maybe I'm just being a baby as it's only been once or twice per sitting (and I have only had two back fills)? Spending the entire time hoping I don't get hurt is not pleasant though!

Unfortunately there are not a huge amount of non-nss nail salons in my area of Sydney. Every salon I have looked at has used the drill so far. I will keep searching but I feel that I won't be in much luck!

Whenever the drill hurts I've automatically pulled my hand back so they know when it's hurt me. I realise that there's a chance that the drill will hit the side of my nails but, it's still scary.

A salon that I used to go to about 7 years ago used only files but are long gone.

You should ring the Creative Nail Design distributor in your country or email and ask them to recommend one of their Master Nail Technicians who will hand file your nails. They are around.

You should NOT be experiencing any pain when having your nails done and the techs working like this should be shot for working so badly.

You are not being a baby. I wouldn't let the worlds supposedly best person with a drill touch my nails with one.

Last edited:
Specifically page 103 Nail Structure and product Chemistry (2nd edition).
Doug Schoon has a couple of other places that he mentions the e-file.
Heat caused by either hand filing/e-file is wrong no matter what.
I have used an e-file for many, many years.
I used an e-file prior to CND agreeing it was ok.(Their past education frowned on it, now its ok, only if the technician is trained properly.)
I, can cause just as much damage by hand filing, if done improperly.
It goes back to education, and learning to use your trade implements properly.
I personally could not provide service of up to 15 nail clients a day by hand filing alone. My hands and arms would be in too much pain.
I have stated, probably sounding like an idiot that I love my profession, there is no way that I could work the way I do now, appointments back to back with out the use of an e-file.

Specifically page 103 Nail Structure and product Chemistry (2nd edition).
Doug Schoon has a couple of other places that he mentions the e-file.
Heat caused by either hand filing/e-file is wrong no matter what.
I have used an e-file for many, many years.
I used an e-file prior to CND agreeing it was ok.(Their past education frowned on it, now its ok, only if the technician is trained properly.)
I, can cause just as much damage by hand filing, if done improperly.
It goes back to education, and learning to use your trade implements properly.
I personally could not provide service of up to 15 nail clients a day by hand filing alone. My hands and arms would be in too much pain.
I have stated, probably sounding like an idiot that I love my profession, there is no way that I could work the way I do now, appointments back to back with out the use of an e-file.

I think it all depends on your focus and your technique.

I worked for years in the salon and always worked back to back and always hand filed ... I made my focus doing the perfect nail with the brush and therefore I file very very little to do my final finish.

Even French re balancing is easy with my technique and I do not need to remove vast amounts of bulk before renewing the white portion of the enhancement. I worked like you do for years (didn't always see 15 people per day) and pretty well saw clients on the hour every hour.

I am not saying it is wrong to use a drill and I know there are many that claim to be absolute experts with it. But I do not like machines. I do not like them in beauty treatments or nail treatments. I do not find them relaxing or pleasant and I prefer not to use them or to have them used on me.

Of course people can misuse hand files and cause pain, but I do think it is more likely that it would happen on a regular basis with an unskilled drill user. I must say I think it terrible that the client above should take it for granted that pain was an integral part of a nail service!!

Unfortunately there are not a huge amount of non-nss nail salons in my area of Sydney. Every salon I have looked at has used the drill so far. I will keep searching but I feel that I won't be in much luck!
Don't even bother around the shopping centres. Pull out the yellow pages and check out the ads. I'm sure there are plenty of non NSS, they just aren't as visible.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should ring the Creative Nail Design distributor in your country or email and ask them to recommend one of their Master Nail Technicians who will hand file your nails. They are around.
:lol:That wont work. They only sent them to me, and I'm a bit far away.

Of course if you want to drive 5 hours each way to get your nails done you're more then welcome.

If you do want to find a CND tech, try contacting some of the education ambassadors, you can find details at
Creative Nail Design & Beauty Products - Pacific Nail & Beauty Australia

Definately not normal, having your nails done is meant to be a happy and relaxing experience....are you going to a discount/NSS salon, conveyor belt style?

nope!

its a lady that used to do mobile and now shes set herslf up in a shop and has a few staff etc... it is painful tho.

I have mentioned this to her a few times and been told its normal:eek: i think i need a salon change!

nope!

its a lady that used to do mobile and now shes set herslf up in a shop and has a few staff etc... it is painful tho.

I have mentioned this to her a few times and been told its normal:eek: i think i need a salon change!
I'd agree with you there....it's not normal for a nail treatment, either natural nails or enhancements to be painful......why on earth would you pay for pain?

Where abouts do you live in Sydney? Maybe i can recommend some places if you live nearby.

Thanks for your replies guys.... I'm on the Northern Beaches (closer to the Manly end)

Latest posts

Back