Scared stiff! Career change

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i'm really new to this site so if i make a gaff please excuse - not the greatest with computers to say the least!!! Basically i'm deliberating about whether to take the plunge and book the CND foundation course which is pricey but worth it i'm told in terms of superior training - it will be a complete change of career for me at 46 and will have redundancy to pay for it - otherwise no way could afford it! I have some experience as a mobile donkeys years ago but not professionally for years! I was so up for it last week but now really panicking that i won't be employable at my age after spending all that money - or find enough clients to make a living - don't expect to make a fortune just enough to get by and enjoy work - what do you think - would really appreciate some advice - have to make up my my mind pronto as course starts 21/08/2012!!!

Just believe in your self. If you work hard and get really good at your craft there's no reason the clients won't come flooding in! Good luck I hope it all works out for you :)

I'm a returning technician and past 40!!! Best thing I did, ironically I used my redundancy too.
I am mobile as there is a huge niche in my area for it.
With age comes patience, wisdom and all important people skills.
I really enjoy what I do and clients tell me they see that, so don't feel like I'm working.
Research your market so you can set yourself up for success.

thanks for your kind words - guess i need to just go for it then. How did you research going mobile in you area then?

Last edited:
I too am 46 and started my nail career last year. I am loving it and have already build up quite a good client base. With hindsight i would have done my training with CND and not done short courses with other companies. I have done shellac training at S2 leeds and it was clear that they are superior in their training methods. If you can afford to do it, go to CND!!! Best of luck in your new career :) xx

You're in extremely safe hands with CND lovely! Embrace your training and the start of your new career. Just think if you didnt do this im sure youd always think what if. Never live life by what if's.... cease it, own it, work it!!

Go for it lovely, age is but a number. There are many options of what route to take after your training.

Shoulders back, head up and..... do it, do it, do it!

Love n hugs xx

Also, I just did mani/pedi training with OPI they also offer a foundation course in acrylics and gels etc. which I'm planning to do next and it's just a bit cheaper than CND lol
I found their teaching very good! and the products are great.
Something to think about :)

I, too am taking the plunge with a new direction. I trained in level 2 Beauty Therapy many years ago but never had the opportunity or support to pursue it. I have now completed a level 3 certificate in Aroma massage and have accepted a place on a full time course in Spa Treatments. This means quitting my job. I must say there are times when I have big doubts about a) whether I can make it as mobile beautician after being so long since training and b) going back to full time education at 43! :Scared:

I think the best thing about this industry is there is no age limit and you are continuously learning. I think if it's something that you want to do and you're passionate about it then go for it! You don't want to look back in years to come and think what if? I haven't trained with CND but I've heard nothing but good things about themso you're definitely getting the best start with their course. Good luck!!!

I'm 40 and just starting out, a week today I'll have completed my conversion course with CND YIPPEE!!
I do believe they are the best and I want to attract clients who want the best.
Go for it!!!!
:hug::D:D:D

If you put your mind to it you can achieve anything. Just do some good research into your area and other salons/mobiles around, what they offer and prices etc… I know for a fact that CND products entice customers, I’ve never had a client ask me for any other product than Shellac and everyone loves the spa ranges. If I was a customer, I think that I’d actually feel more comfortable having my treatments performed by someone in their 40’s rather than late teens as the age difference would portray experience (even if you haven’t been doing it long, I know it would probably be automatically assumed). Plus you would seem more reliable, responsible and probably easier to talk to too.
Good luck, and I’m sure that if this is what you really want, you’ll do great :D

I started training last year aged 45. Best thing I've done in years (even though the girls on my course called me "Mum"). Loved the training and now love working. Started with friends, then friends of friends, and now friends of friends of friends! One thing I would say - make sure your course includes gel polish or shellac training.

Feel the fear and do it anyway!

I'm 44 and retrained 5 years ago! Best thing I've ever done - every day I feel blessed that I'm doing something I love and making people happy! You won't go wrong with CND - just Shellac alone accounts for a lot of my income! People ask for it by name! All the very best to you, I'm sure you won't regret it. xx

I'm 42 and started the CND complete 29th May and have recently completed the mani/pedi section. It's the best thing I've done. It is a complete change for me too. I was a book keeper from 16-40 and a childminder for the past year.

Go for it, the training is the best, the educators are brilliant, my confidence is building daily and it's one of the most cost effective courses you will find. You really can't lose :D xx

I'm going for career change to the CND course I believe is the best good luck :p:p
:

Go For It! I would much prefer an older, more "in tune" tech than a young one who may be a bit flighty. (not all of them are .;)
I'm 33 and finish my CND novice course today! I did the Master Painter course 2 days ago. That one was Shellac and Nail Art. I'm so bloody excited. Go for it- BE HAPPY XXXX

In my opinion (and in the opinion of many many others) you have found THE BEST with CND :)

Sorry its taken so long to reply - been away for a couple of days! Thanks sooo much for all your comments and words of encouragement - really has made me feel much better *** news flash*** have now booked Complete Foundation CND course and start on 21 August in Manchester - really excited (and nervous) there's no going back now!!!! Thanks again everyone xxx :hug:

Latest posts

Back