Scaredy Cat Needs Reassurance!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mani-fique!

Reaction score
I walked into a local salon thats just opened up asking if they did nail enhancements..... they said they don't (they do manicures however) I told them that I've just qualified as a nail tech and am in the process of setting myself up at home. They said for me to leave some business cards as they are always being asked about nail enhancements

Now this sounds brilliant doesn't it but I'm in a bit of a stew about it. I only qualified in February this year after doing the FDFC and haven't been able to practice on friends and family as much as I was hoping due to peeps not being available and me being ill (blasted M.E. :mad: ) So I'm feeling very down about my expertise and do not feel good enough in the slightest to choose victims that are complete strangers!

However.... the only way I can get good at all of this is by practicing so what do I do? If I don't leave any cards I may miss out on bringing in some business where otherwise I would find myself stalling, avoiding taking the plunge....then again if I do leave cards... how can I work round the fact that I'm newly qualified? Do I tell them so that they are nice and gentle with me? Even to me that sounds really unprofessional but I'm terrified that people will go away thinking really badly about the nails I've given them and coming back full of complaints. should I wait until I feel more confident? or Do I do an opening offer stating that I'm newly quailifed? I want to give the impression of professionalism but feel I need to let them know that I'm new.... but either way I'm stuck so need your advice.... pleeeeeease help me!:confused:

And please be gentle lol

Why not post a notice in the salon that says MODELS WANTED and let the clients come to you on that basis. I bet they will be queing up.

Of course you will charge less for say 3 months and then BAM up goes the price when you feel ready. Then everyone knows where they are don't they?

geeg said:
Why not post a notice in the salon that says MODELS WANTED and let the clients come to you on that basis. I bet they will be queing up.

Of course you will charge less for say 3 months and then BAM up goes the price when you feel ready. Then everyone knows where they are don't they?
Mmmmmmm! that doesn't sound a bad idea at all. How much less than top dollar do you think I should charge..... half price? or is that too much off? What about 20% off? Or is that not enough off lol?

Thanks Geeg for the idea.

Tamm,

think of it this way - if you don't leave your cards then someone else will leave theirs.

I have seen so many people in the time I have been doing nails that hesitate and maybe spend up to a year after doing their training still "practising" and then they have no confidence to work on the public at all.

You have done a great course - possibly a lot more in depth than most of the other nail techs round you and I think you should get out there and do it. There are lots of people out there doing nails who only do it for the money - they shred nail plates, cut cuticles, make mountains and take the clients money without a backward glance.

You are already a step ahead of them - you care!

Do what Gigi suggests - have an opening offer - don't necessarily say you are new as I think your nail services will be better than lots round you who have been doing it a long time and charging full price.

Good luck.

naturalnails said:
Tamm,

think of it this way - if you don't leave your cards then someone else will leave theirs.

I have seen so many people in the time I have been doing nails that hesitate and maybe spend up to a year after doing their training still "practising" and then they have no confidence to work on the public at all.

You have done a great course - possibly a lot more in depth than most of the other nail techs round you and I think you should get out there and do it. There are lots of people out there doing nails who only do it for the money - they shred nail plates, cut cuticles, make mountains and take the clients money without a backward glance.

You are already a step ahead of them - you care!

Do what Gigi suggests - have an opening offer - don't necessarily say you are new as I think your nail services will be better than lots round you who have been doing it a long time and charging full price.

Good luck.

Completely agree with you there Fiona.... thats what I'm worried about... someone else leaving their cards....

If I don't tell them I'm new at it how would I explain why I want models at an opening offer?

Tamm,

All you need say is that you are opening a new salon and want to bring in business - I don't know if I would say "models" as they might get the impression you will do it for nothing LOL.

Sounds like an ideal opportunity to get noticed !

Most people are pretty o.k when they know you are just starting out

Yes you need the experience - and from what i've seen of your work you've got nothing to worry about :D

As the saying goes...

"Nothing ventured nothing gained"

Go for it ;)

Say that you are not new to doing nails but are new to a salon-type situation and need to work on customers to get your speed up. When you are up to speed, then the price goes up. as fiona said and 'opening offer' NOT a discount.

This is your chance tamm, the one you've been waiting for. 'Bite the bullet' and do it. You will be in control so if you don't feel so well, you can just not do anything that day. See how you go, its the only way you will know. You will do a great job.

geeg said:
Say that you are not new to doing nails but are new to a salon-type situation and need to work on customers to get your speed up. When you are up to speed, then the price goes up. as fiona said and 'opening offer' NOT a discount.
Mmmm will make sure I have an answer ready when people enquire

This is your chance tamm, the one you've been waiting for. 'Bite the bullet' and do it. You will be in control so if you don't feel so well, you can just not do anything that day. See how you go, its the only way you will know. You will do a great job.
You're right..... thanks for the advice. I've just got to take the plunge.... I'm procrastinating and I'll never get anywhere if I do that will I lol. Just need a good dose of courage... I know once I get going I'll be ok its just that first step.:eek:

Yes you need the experience - and from what i've seen of your work you've got nothing to worry about :D
Thats very kind of you Bug! although the pikkies of my first set of nails don't show all the really bad bits lol. And I've gone backwards with my nails I think from trying too hard. But thanks for the vote of confidence.:D

One last thing - remember - we have all been there !!!!

And we are all here to answer any queries you might have.

Go for it - we are all behind you. :biggrin:

You go for it girl!

Be honest tell people you are new at doing it, but you will be fine I am sure of it, because if you are that worried you are obviously a perfectionist and I am sure your enhancments will be perfect and once you have done a couple of people you will wonder what all the fuss was about!

Good Luckx x x x

Arrrr thanks guys:biggrin: you're sooooo encouraging.

if you are that worried you are obviously a perfectionist
You got me summed up there pretty well lol I'm the worlds worst.... everyone groans at me because I expect such high standards from myself and have to get everything sooooooo perfect... so you can imagine what its doing to me not being perfect at doing nails yet lol .... its driving me insane :p

Hi peeps, i have seen Tamms work and her nails are great nothing to worry about at all, im even now asking her advice on how shes done it so well!! Good Work Tamm and stop worrying your fab x

Don't be afraid! Go for it, it's a great opportunity for you! But here's my advice, i wouldn't offer a discount because that shows that you're not experienced and believe me, clients will take advantage of that. I started out in a salon over a year ago and like you i was not very confident. So, i would tell my clients that i was new at doing nails in the hope that they would be nicer to me. What really happened was the opposite! Clients would come back a day or two later complaining of nonexistant problems, some would even pry off their nails and claim that they just fell off. My work was fine, they did this in an attempt to get freebies because they sensed my lack of confidence. As soon as i stopped telling everybody how new i was to nails, the problems magically stopped! So take advantage of this opportunity and don't let them sense that you're nervous. Even if you do make a couple of mistakes at first don't let it show because if the client suspects that something might be wrong they'll find something wrong with your work, even if there is no real problem.

hiya

There has been some great advice here - take it coz when I started in nails I didn't know about this wonderful site and really could have used the advice.

I am now seeing where I went wrong - like everything - training - setting up - advertising - recruiting oh god you name it every thing went wrong but now these guys have put me on the straight and narrow and i some times feel like oh no I did it all wrong ( well yes I did) but most of the time I think oh wow I have got all these fab guys here to help and guide me and I know no matter what else I DO CARE ABOUT PEOPLE and I want to do it all right.

So do your best ( i am sure you will - you sound like you have the right attitude) and don't be afraid - go get em girl!!!!

keep us informed
Joxxxxx

Hi Tamm

Further to my PM, am happy for you to come into my salon and watch the girls etc, preferably after April though as am really busy with clients and my NVQ (cause I am fast-tracking my workbook through April) which is very intense and hard work, plus have me Masters Qualification Day on 19 April, so havent got time at the min, but am happy for you to come into the salon in the near future.

Anyway, will let you know but think May would be good and I will get back to you about the dates etc.

I did my FDC in December and felt pretty much like you afterwards. However, I have a few clients (never enough) who previously had their nails done elsewhere and even though I'd only been qualified a few months, they all said how much better my nails were! Not only that but I didn't cause any burning sensation!! When you explain your training and what a tech should and shouldn't be doing to your nails they soon realise that inexperience isn't everything. Training is. So be confident, your training is your best asset and the rest will come. I'm really into sculpting now and off to book a 1 - 1 with the lovely Michelle at Salisbury. Good luck!
Liz

i wouldn't offer a discount because that shows that you're not experienced and believe me, clients will take advantage of that. I started out in a salon over a year ago and like you i was not very confident. So, i would tell my clients that i was new at doing nails in the hope that they would be nicer to me. What really happened was the opposite! Clients would come back a day or two later complaining of nonexistant problems, some would even pry off their nails and claim that they just fell off. My work was fine, they did this in an attempt to get freebies because they sensed my lack of confidence. As soon as i stopped telling everybody how new i was to nails, the problems magically stopped! So take advantage of this opportunity and don't let them sense that you're nervous. Even if you do make a couple of mistakes at first don't let it show because if the client suspects that something might be wrong they'll find something wrong with your work, even if there is no real problem.

This is a very valid point and I must admit it did cross my mind that this may happen

It is a wonderful opportunity but I think I've decided that as I've literally on been able to work on 2 clients with only one regular then I think it may be too big a step..... I might get my mum and mother-in-law to recruit their friends as I think its a nice stepping stone to later on work on complete strangers.
I do get very nervous and am not very good at hiding it and that coupled with my health I don't want to end up making a complete hash of things and ruin my confidence further.... working on people I vaguely know through family may be better until I've got more practice under my belt.

There has been some great advice here - take it coz when I started in nails I didn't know about this wonderful site and really could have used the advice.
There definately has been and I'm mulling it all over. Like so many I would probably have given up by now if it weren't for this site.... infact... I know I would have done.

Mrs Gadget said:
Hi Tamm

Further to my PM, am happy for you to come into my salon and watch the girls etc, preferably after April though as am really busy with clients and my NVQ (cause I am fast-tracking my workbook through April) which is very intense and hard work, plus have me Masters Qualification Day on 19 April, so havent got time at the min, but am happy for you to come into the salon in the near future.

Anyway, will let you know but think May would be good and I will get back to you about the dates etc.

Thats completely fine Jue. whenever you're ready just let me know. As I told you in my PM I just really appreciate the offer thanks. Hope your masters day goes ok

Mani-fique! said:
Thats very kind of you Bug! although the pikkies of my first set of nails don't show all the really bad bits lol. And I've gone backwards with my nails I think from trying too hard. But thanks for the vote of confidence.:D

Ok ok, I`m gonna put my tuppence in here.
I have supported Tamm from the beginning and the pic of her first set was my own ugly hands, lol.
She does do a wicked set of nails and it is only her lack of confidence that lets her down.
Only this morning she has shown me another set of nails and they`re pretty darn near perfect so she really has nothing to worry about except the stamina to complete a set with a stranger, cos the nerves always seem to take that little bit more from you horrid little blitters they are.
So Tamm, YOU CAN DO IT, YOU WILL DO IT, and if you`re not careful I`ll post those pics on here so everyone can tell you the same.

You`re a wonderful person that can do a cool set of nails and anyone coming to you WILL be please when they leave.
I`m proud you`ve taken that first step and enquired about leaving your cards somewhere so do that and watch those clients coming in.....take your time and just don`t do more than 1 set a day at first until you know your body can take it
Good luck, and you know we`re all here for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back