SCARY LADY = REFUND!!!!! (long) What do you think of this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moanie

Reaction score
I did a custom blend on Thursday. They were the worst bitten nails ever seen, not only were they badly bitten, they were knawed deep in to her skin. When I saw them I was in two minds wether to do them or not, her hands were also very large.
Any way, she said she was desperate to have them done so she could stop biting them, & that a friend was paying for them to be done for her birthday. She told me that a number of other salons had refused to do them. She had seen that I offered a custom blend for bitten nails and would I please, please do them.

I agreed, but told her it would take a while and i would still have to keep them quite short. 3 hours later, she left the salon very happy She didn't have any money for solar oil so I gave her a small bottle free of charge.

I really worked hard on them, size 1 was too small for her thumbs and I had to use mostly 2,3 & 4's on her other fingers, size 6 & 7 on her pinkies. I really tried to make them look as slim as I could, they still looked wide but balanced & 100 times better than when she walked through the door.

When she was leaving she said "They will last for 4 weeks won't they". I explained that she would have to come back in 1 week so that I could assess them and possibly do an infill, I even offered her a special rate, (she looked like life had not been too kind to her). She kept telling me that she could never afford to have them done if it wasn't a gift.

This morning She phoned the salon and said she wasn't happy and wanted them soaked off for free, a free manicure and her money back. I couldn't get a word in and she kept saying she would not stop untill she got what she wanted. She told me that all her mates had slagged them off and that someone else in another salon told her they were appalling and that she should get a refund and go to her for them doing. ON AND ON AND ON she went.

I'm afraid I relented and told her to come for her money. I stayed calm when she came in (as i said - she was very scary). She started on me again slagging off her nails. I was with another client so Just apologised and said you can get them re done now you have your money back, good bye.

I feel totally bad about the whole thing and my confidence has just taken a beating. Even though I have done a few custom blends on bitten nails & rebals, I think that was my LAST 1.
:mad: :irked: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :irked:

:hug: Aw Flossy! what a pants day you've had :hug:

Don't beat yourself up, I'm sure you did a fab job. Sounds like she's taking liberties. Other salons refused to do them, and you put your heart and soul into making them nice for her. She should be thanking you, not giving you grief.

Personally, I wouldn't have refunded her money, I'm assuming you got her to sign a consultation card, etc. so she knew what she was getting and she left without complaint. Therefore the deal was done as far as I'm concerned.

It's hard when you have another client with you, you did well to remain calm and not let her drag you down to her level.

I would have insisted she waited until I was finished with the client that was in. Asked her to sit down and start to remove them, if they were that bad, she wouldn't have wanted them on will she? I bet she would have stopped you straight away!

There is nothing you can do now, don't beat yourself up, put it down to experience, plan what you want to do should it ever happen again, and move on.

Don't let her ruin it for others who bite their nails and need your experience, care and expertise with Custom Blends.

Take care :hug:

She sounds awful !!! What did your client say that was with you at the time ? Some people will complain about all sorts. Is she coming back for the manicure ? I would be to scared to do it !! :Scared:

its really hard to deal with someone like this. I think you probably did the right thing, just to get her out of your hair. Did you get her to sign to say she was happy with her nails and the service before she left when you did her nails. If so she wouldn't have had a leg to stand on, but still its sometimes just better to cut your losses.
Dont take it too personally i'm sure you do a really good job. It sounds to me she just wanted her nails done for free.

oh dear! firstly, as you said, she was happy with them when when she left, you explained an infill would be possible after 1 week and not 4 weeks and you gave her a free bottle of oil.....was her nails all on when she returned for her money??

Oh hunny why do people behave like this? They were obviously really bad to start with as so many other places had refused to do them. Did she expect them to look like model hands when you'd finished? Surely they were better than the canvas you started with? All I can say is she behaved very rudely in front of your other client. The other tech behaved very unprofessionally - probably trying to poach your business.

I have to say that I never give refunds AND let them walk out of the salon with my work still on my hands. I'd have picked up the nail cutters and got hold of her hands and said, right I guess you don't want those on anymore. it really sorts out who are the genuine people with a grievance and those that are just trying to get a freebie. Although, given the way she was it was probably better just to get her out of there.

Or maybe she had them done for do for her birthday and now she decided she'd have them as a freebie. There's such a thing as karma you know - you can't be that awful and get away with it.

We've all had people like this. Put your feet up, forget her and enjoy your weekend.

Sassy Hassy said:
I have to say that I never give refunds AND let them walk out of the salon with my work still on my hands. I'd have picked up the nail cutters and got hold of her hands and said, right I guess you don't want those on anymore. it really sorts out who are the genuine people with a grievance and those that are just trying to get a freebie. Although, given the way she was it was probably better just to get her out of there..

my thoughts too sassy, and i have actually picked up the tip cutters and cut them all off once!! what a feeling...and the look on the customers face!

She is not coming back for a manicure, I did refuse to do that. I wanted her to just go away and never come back, I was afraid she would get violent, thats why I gave the refund. All her nails were till on. The lady I was with asked "what was all that about", I just told her that I had had an unhappy client & changed the subject. I had to bite my tongue not to say bad things about another client, didn't want to give the impression that I was unprpfessional. At least 'she' was happy with her nails as she is a regular. I know I should have stood my ground but sometimes its just not possible.
Thanks for all your kind words. Will not let it put me off.

Flossy said:
She is not coming back for a manicure, I did refuse to do that. I wanted her to just go away and never come back, I was afraid she would get violent, thats why I gave the refund. All her nails were till on. The lady I was with asked "what was all that about", I just told her that I had had an unhappy client & changed the subject. I had to bite my tongue not to say bad things about another client, didn't want to give the impression that I was unprpfessional. At least 'she' was happy with her nails as she is a regular. I know I should have stood my ground but sometimes its just not possible.
Thanks for all your kind words. Will not let it put me off.

Well, what goes around comes around and although you may feel bad about all this, just remember that for every unhappy customer, there are many more HAPPY ones!!!

Don't let this ignorant person put you off doing your custom blending or anything.

Her nails will probably be ruined very soon as she wont look after them, no doubt, and especially not now she got them for free. But hey, its only cost you x amount of money to never see the trout again. Let her go to the stupid tech who said they were no good - let her deal with her when it happens again (and her big maulers for hands). Unfortunately, some people just love causing scenes and getting their money back.

She's gone now, just forget about her and really enjoy your weekend.

xxx

Don't give freebies EVER. People will just assume that they can take advantage of you. If your client can't afford a small bottle of cuticle oil you know for a fact that she will not look after her enhancements. You made the best of a volatile situation, the best thing to do is to learn from this. Were the tips too small for the nails? Is sculpting an option for you? Sometimes it's better to just say no to people like this. Maybe point them in direction of a local chemist who does cheap stick on nails. Some people will never be happy and we can't work miracles. Don't let this person knock your confidence - you live and you learn. I, personally, would have made her an appointment for a soak off - you can bet your life that she wouldn't turn up.:hug:

There are definately some people in this life who make it their goal just to take the pss.....I think you did what you had to do to make the best of this situation, especially if you were on your own in the salon....don't worry about it, it's over and done with.

I had a similar experience with a client just like yours not so long ago. It really affected my confidence but i soon got over it and it has made me more determined that one bad experience wouldnt put me off. I went through all my notes, books and products and made sure i knew my stuff and now i have more confidence than ever before. I have found this website fantastic because its great to know that your not the only person out there with questions and problems and there is always some one who can help you out.

This whole story just stinks....it sounds to me like she wanted her nails done for her birthday, and then she wanted the money as well. If she couldn't afford that tiny bottle of Solar Oil she definitely could not afford your good work or a rebalance.

That's three hours of your life you won't get back. And yes I would have snipped those puppies right off her fingers before she left my shop!

May you never have another client like her

Laura

I would have gave a partial refund
but if you were a bit bothered it would get physical you did the right thing

:hug: :green: If she was going to get violent I definitely would give her money back. You did the right thing for your own safety. Pity you couldnt have take the price of the Solar oil of her refund. What a b***h. Chin up, she will get hers.
xxxxxx:green:

Flossy said:
I
I she left the salon very happy She didn't have any money for solar oil so I gave her a small bottle free of charge.

:mad: :irked: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :irked:

I hope she gave you back your solar oil!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi there,

Blimey would'nt want too many of those.Take a breath , Relax she's gone.Ahhhhhhhhh!
Did you even get a look at these nails of hers when she came in? I would have given them a good going over!

When I know in my heart of hearts that I have applied a good set of enhancements[considering what you had to satrt with] & I have done everything to a 'T", There's no way on gods earth would I have refunded this womans money.. & I'd have the name of the nail tech who thinks they could do better with the nails you had to work with.

As SCAREY as she sounds[client] my position would have been made clear on the phone.
"What exactly is the problem with them. This is what I will & wont fix....etc."
Be firm. As hard as it sounds to do, unless you have done an absoloute crap job & the media is on your door, I wouldn't worry to much, these people are hard done by from everyone according to them.
If the harrassment continue's a polite letter from your/a solicitor usually sorts them out quick smart.

After hours is appropriate to cater to this.
Not during other people's appointments. I apply this to any client greivance's. During the first few apponitments I explain or information is included on the Service Menu.[if its that bad they will make the time to fit in with you]

Try to sort client issues away from the clients & handle these situatuions in the privacy of the staff room, or outside a back door if possible[not in front of the shop- staff or other customers].

You also could have done with the support of the owner/manageress. In any situation where you are apprehensive about a threatening situation on the premises , during work hours always have the support of a senior staff member.

XX J XX

Man, that almost sounds to me like she really wanted the birthday MONEY, more than the nails because I seriously doubt that anyone cracked on your work like she said everyone did. (Can't see you sending someone out the door with crappy nails for some reason.) That sounds like a lame excuse, and I guarantee you she won't maintain them or get them "done" somewhere else with that money.

We had a lady do that at our Salon with her hair.... one of her friends "gave" her a relaxer for x-mas. She HAD to go get it done because it was a gift and it would be obvious if she didn't use it... but she spent the money, then gave a hot check at our salon. GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! She wouldn't pay it either until Q hit her up about paying the hot check right in front of the woman who'd given her the money to have the relaxer done! LOL! Oopsie!

Don't worry about it hun, sounds like she changed her mind after speaking to another tech, and how unprofessional is that slagging off your work when she didnt see the canvas you started with in the first place.

chalk it down to expereince and dont let it put you off.

Yep, I reckon she wanted the money to be honest. God how awful for you, try to not let it dent your confidence, sounds like you did a wonderful job but some people are just plan greedy and ignorant, unfortnatley thats the general public for you.
:hug:

Latest posts

Back