Scheduling time

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LSADAME

Reaction score
For anyone working at a spa... How much time do they give you for soaking off and then reapply gel polish which includes the dry manicure and hand massage after.
For those who are booth rental/self employed/ mobile how much do YOU give yourself to do soak off and reapply? I've been a liscensed manicurist since 1986. For most of that time I was self employed and did mostly acrylics. I'm very meticulous about my work. I assumed my clients appreciated that because they have followed me to numerous locations. The owner decided to retire and I was going through a divorce and needed a guaranteed paycheck. I've now been working as an employee at a day spa since 2012. I built up a clientele very fast. I decided I needed to make more money and wanted to find a place where I could do acrylics . When I gave my notice at the spa, to my surprise they offered me more money and said they would find a way to bring in acrylics. I was going to leave twice and again they bargained with me. The issues they've had in the past with other manicurists wth inexperience and the smell. The acrylics never happened. So I brought up the hard gels. I use and LOVE Young Nails! To get to the point is I've had a problem keeping on schedule. It started July2015 when I was having some serious female issues. It was finally resolved Jan 2016 when I had a complete hysterectomy. Although physically I felt ready my head was not...I've had a hard time focusing and all of a sudden I get anxiety when there are too many people in the room. It's been tough but I have to work. I said I needed more time with certain clients so they asked me to make a list. Some are harder than others and I have a hard time sending a client away when I feel it's not up to my standards just because I MUST stay on time. The list was no more than 10 clients. Granted I understand why time is important because they may have other services after... but if you're promoting excellent customer service, isn't me doing my best work part of that. I say my work is my business card. They have only scheduled 2 clients out of the 10 or so. Since I've had my 3rd and final warning ( which I refused to sign ) the next time I run late I'm warned that I will get fired. In the meantime I have had to do 3 redos that other nail techs that I work with just in this 1 week alone . The work that is being sent out the door for the money the clients pay all because the techs are focused on the time. My biggest issue of time is mostly when I'm doing the soak off gels. I'm in the process of looking for a new place to work and hope to walk away on my terms instead of being fired. Never in my life have I been let go. I'd love to hear feedback on the amount of time you or your employers give you to do quality work. Please please please give me some insight.

Gosh! It sounds like you are going through a really stressful time and my heart goes out to you!!

Now I can't and shouldn't say that leaving your job is the right thing to do, everything happens for a reason though and if you are not happy and feeling under huge pressure is working for this particular salon the right answer?

Are you able to go mobile again? I started being mobile 6 weeks ago and am having to turn people down!

I get to spend as much time as I like with my clients but take off - redo gel polish can easily take me an hour and a half and that's without the hand massage!

I get to chat to my clients and I love it! I popped into a warden assisted care home the street next to me and I go there weekly and spend a whole day doing gels (at a discount) you can be hard enough on yourself doing beauty I couldn't imagine time constraints too!

If you can (even if you stay) keep your options open and look around for other positions! These things in life happen to good hard working people to show you to trust your instincts, life could be telling you that you deserve something better!

Keep on going and follow your heart - we can give you advice but you know the right answer x

Hey Lasadame
If it is possible who ever does the client 1st treatment before they come to you ask them to file top shine off to break the seal then soak pad in acetone and place foil tight around nails that way wen they come to you it will take less time. Or if your free you could go and do it obviously depending on their treatment. The bosses obviously have time to notice you are going over the time they are stating so tell them to help you out!
I would refuse to fix other colleagues nails if it's happening on a regular basis as they are not willing to give you any leeway with extra time plus I would add extra time on all the gel polish treatment at least an hour with removal with one block colour and if French 1hr 15mins.
You have probably brought in more clients offering gel manicure and they won't get rid of you if your fixing other issues. Spa's get greedy and sometimes offer certain treatments that are quick and make them the most money.
Your health is more important hun so don't get stressed, find out what they need to do to help you and bring to their attention! Am sure if you leave clients will follow you for doing a proper job.

Good luck! Xx

Gosh! It sounds like you are going through a really stressful time and my heart goes out to you!!

Now I can't and shouldn't say that leaving your job is the right thing to do, everything happens for a reason though and if you are not happy and feeling under huge pressure is working for this particular salon the right answer?

Are you able to go mobile again? I started being mobile 6 weeks ago and am having to turn people down!

I get to spend as much time as I like with my clients but take off - redo gel polish can easily take me an hour and a half and that's without the hand massage!

I get to chat to my clients and I love it! I popped into a warden assisted care home the street next to me and I go there weekly and spend a whole day doing gels (at a discount) you can be hard enough on yourself doing beauty I couldn't imagine time constraints too!

If you can (even if you stay) keep your options open and look around for other positions! These things in life happen to good hard working people to show you to trust your instincts, life could be telling you that you deserve something better!

Keep on going and follow your heart - we can give you advice but you know the right answer x
Thank you for the positive feedback! The more I think about the more I agree with what you. Going mobile or going back to being independent will bring back the reasons why I love what I do!!!

Hey Lasadame
If it is possible who ever does the client 1st treatment before they come to you ask them to file top shine off to break the seal then soak pad in acetone and place foil tight around nails that way wen they come to you it will take less time. Or if your free you could go and do it obviously depending on their treatment. The bosses obviously have time to notice you are going over the time they are stating so tell them to help you out!
I would refuse to fix other colleagues nails if it's happening on a regular basis as they are not willing to give you any leeway with extra time plus I would add extra time on all the gel polish treatment at least an hour with removal with one block colour and if French 1hr 15mins.
You have probably brought in more clients offering gel manicure and they won't get rid of you if your fixing other issues. Spa's get greedy and sometimes offer certain treatments that are quick and make them the most money.
Your health is more important hun so don't get stressed, find out what they need to do to help you and bring to their attention! Am sure if you leave clients will follow you for doing a proper job.

Good luck! Xx
Thank you for the suggestions... Unfortunately that isn't the way they operate. Can't understand if they were willing to pay me more to stay, why they aren't willing to work with me... It was a waste of time for me to make the list of clients where I needed extra time. You're right in saying spas get greedy. They claim they're losing money by leaving a 15-30 minute gap or having to comp a client with a smoothie. If they're losing money it's because the front desk people can't ask the client a simple question "do you have gels on?" and that my fellow co- workers focus more on the time than the work they are doing! They will continue to take advantage of me as long as I'm there. Since my first post don't know if I mentioned it but I had done 3 redos... This is the quality of work the clients get for a lot of money!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Latest posts

Back