Science Question - Primer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've spilled my bottle of primer before; it's sitting on my right, and I dip back into it once or twice, and BAM! I pull the brush toward me before it's cleared the bottle! ARG. Never spilled it on anyone, but made quite a mess on my table. What I do now (when I use primer, which is virtually never now that I've got the ratio down pat) is stick the bottle in my roll of forms (CND acid free, and CND Performance forms). It fits perfectly, and keeps the bottle from tipping accidentally. :D

If I have a bottle open (a bottle with brush) I hold it in my left hand while I hold the clients hand, & apply with right hand, if the lid is off its never on the table its always in my hand, no chance of spilling it ever, same deal with polish.

I know this is an old thread but I thought I had read somewhere that acid primer was no longer being sold. Have I just dreamt this? :eek:

Most primers are acid based (even many that claim to be acid-free) which helps remove oil and moisture from the plate when it isn't prepped properly to begin with. The acid often will be used as a lazy prep tool (hence why so many budget salons use mass amounts of it instead of simply prepping the nail). If it is being used as a lazy techs cleansing tool, then if you remove the step from the technicians process, they will inevitably still leave oil and shtuff on the plate which no amount of Retention+ will stick to.

Actually that's not quite true, using to much primer (acid or non- acid) can't lead to poor adhesions, not to mention discoloration of enhancements.

Actually that's not quite true, using to much primer (acid or non- acid) can't lead to poor adhesions, not to mention discoloration of enhancements.

Actually what GMG said is perfectly true.

Rightly or wrongly, many techs do prime not once or even twice but three or more times IN THE HOPE that it will do their prep for them. It may not work as far as making the product adhere better (and the GMG did not say that it did) but it is what they believe works.

Also you have put 'can't' when I think you mean 'can' ... haven't you?

Actually what GMG said is perfectly true.

Rightly or wrongly, many techs do prime not once or even twice but three or more times IN THE HOPE that it will do their prep for them. It may not work as far as making the product adhere better (and the GMG did not say that it did) but it is what they believe works.

Also you have put 'can't' when I think you mean 'can' ... haven't you?

Thanks for the correction Geeg, yes I meant to say can...... I totally agreed that some techs think that primer is what make the nail stick, and the more is the better...... I just want to point out that it's not true that you will get better result using more prime than needed.

Thanks for the correction Geeg, yes I meant to say can...... I totally agreed that some techs think that primer is what make the nail stick, and the more is the better...... I just want to point out that it's not true that you will get better result using more prime than needed.

I am in complete agreement with what you say and so is the GMG! :hug:

Latest posts

Back