Science topic: Chemical danger

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Envy

Reaction score
I thought I'd start the ball rolling with thread to see how we assume information: I'd like you to read this without running off to google the answer and see how you respond initially...

With all the recent threads and questions about "harmful chemicals and allergys" in our industry I was wondering wether people are generally aware of chemistry and the world around us?

... Let me tell you a little story...

"There is a chemical that is being used by nuclear reactor operating companys, pesticide companies and by chemical cleanup crews. Annually it is directly responsible for 5000+ globallyThis product ends up ON YOUR DINNER TABLE AND IN YOUR WATER WAYS!!! This chemical is di-hydrogen monoxide (sometimes referred to as hydric acid. There has been a proposal to petition against it's use."

For more info follow the link below:
DHMO Facts

My question to you is "do you think that this petition would be a good idea?"

I look forward to your feedback - Allen

Last edited:
Well I don't think so! Aren't they being sneaky and just talking about water?

I thought they were talking about water as well :)

Agree - H2O is water.

Thats the thing though, we are surrounded by chemicals but the word itself provokes ideas and assumptions of anything bad.

I also think water which i try not to drink from the tap because of the chemicals, i drink bolttled water.

Oh dear, I was too late on this one :)

The bit about it improving marriage made me giggle :D

But what a great start Allen!

Last edited:
The link is funny and very clever, but makes an important point - it's HOW we use and expose ourselves to chemicals which is the issue.

DHMO can kill you!! But we'd also die without it :)

The link is funny and very clever, but makes an important point - it's HOW we use and expose ourselves to chemicals which is the issue.

DHMO can kill you!! But we'd also die without it :)

Totally! Just shows how quickly scaremongering can start too. If you didn't know they were talking about water, you would be reading through that list and would be like :eek: this stuff is in everything!!!!!!!!! :Scared: Like I thought initially before I twigged what it was :wink2: Very clever and a great way to show that most of us have such a lack of scientific knowledge. Give it a big fancy name and we have no clue and panic

Totally! Just shows how quickly scaremongering can start too. If you didn't know they were talking about water, you would be reading through that list and would be like :eek: this stuff is in everything!!!!!!!!! :Scared: Like I thought initially before I twigged what it was :wink2: Very clever and a great way to show that most of us have such a lack of scientific knowledge. Give it a big fancy name and we have no clue and panic
Precisely the point

'chemophobia' (fear of chemicals) is very real and not always based on fact...

I may pinch this for my FB :D Great work Allen! Next!! :D

It really does make you think doesn't it. I had a client come in the other day and she'd printed out an article about di-hydrogen monoxide and wanted to know if I was aware if I used it. Erm yes! Poor lady was very embarrassed when I told her what it is!

This is a brilliant thread and really gets you thinking doesn't it.

I really enjoyed reading this! I too have shared it on facebook!

Excellent start Allen!

I too knew it was water (phew!), but as well as being an entertaining read, it also shows how things can be portrayed in a biased way. It's a little scarey to think someones opinion can be manipulated by the written word, in a report like that.

Thank you :biggrin:

Fantastic find! I especially liked "Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities".

ah allen!!! not fair on chemical dunces like me...:(

Have to say, didn't have a clue there :cool:

Fabulous article! Perfect article demonstrating the 'spin' that can be used when it suits:twisted:

Everything, except heat, light and electricity, is a chemical and I get fed up with reading about 'harmful chemicals', 'toxic chemicals', such and such ingredient dangerous for unborn babies etc etc. So often it is just a spin put on because it suits the company, organisation, manufacturer, individual to use a situation that bares no relationship to the product being talked about.

Well posted Allen:cool:

Fabulous article! Perfect article demonstrating the 'spin' that can be used when it suits:twisted:

Everything, except heat, light and electricity, is a chemical and I get fed up with reading about 'harmful chemicals', 'toxic chemicals', such and such ingredient dangerous for unborn babies etc etc. So often it is just a spin put on because it suits the company, organisation, manufacturer, individual to use a situation that bares no relationship to the product being talked about.

Well posted Allen:cool:

Thank you Marion :) this was my exact point and I hope it will have opened some minds to searching for 'truth and fact' rather than marketing spin..

Allen