Science Topic: Sanitation in the salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Envy

Reaction score
This is a topic that is VERY important in the salon to keep you and your clients safe and is often misunderstood: The different types and levels of sanitation and when you should use them...

Sterilise - Destruction of ALL living organisms
Sterilisation is crucial in any industry/ treatment where inner body work (blood, or bodily fulid) is done (example, dental/surgical/piercings/tatoo) Hopefully, no nail technician is getting anywhere near this type of treatment...

Sterilisation is achieved at 100+ degree C. IE autoclave (steam) or boiling, this is mandatory by law for any of the above treatments. It is completely unnessecary for nail techs as we are not ever doing invasive procedures (hopefully
icon_wink.gif
) Plus it will destroy the majority of our equipment...

Disinfection - Kills All living organisms (except fungal Spores)
This is the highest level of sanitation a nail technician needs to go to, unless blood has been drawn for any reason.
To achieve disinfection you need a hospital grade or EPA approved disinfectant. Most, such as barbicide+ require soaking for a minimum of 10 minutes and then drying off. However there are better ones available for nail techs as soaking can damage your files/tools a lot. the best I have found is Virkon, which is used to spray down surgical theatres - It is a spray till wet then let air dry action, which is ideal for techs.
Although often said, nail techs can not disinfect themselves or clients - as we are living organisms for it to really work it would also be killing us
icon_wink.gif

a GREAT idea to prevent cross contamination is to have a file per customer and keep it tucked away for them only. These files should be cleaned with a nail brush to remove build up of dust etc, the disinfected as per instruction of the disinfectant you are using and then when fully dry stored in a brown paper bag or similar. **Paper bags ensure that excess moisture is absorbed away, which helps prevent the build up of any bacteria

Sanitation - Greatly reduces the number of pathogens (harmful germs) on a surface
This is what nail technicians should be practising rigerously.

The MOST effective form of sanitation is soap and water for 30 seconds... seriously... A good top up is keeping your work spaces clean, dust and dirt free and using products such as anti bac gel etc

Last edited:
Thankyou for the reminder of how important this is and also about the warts. X

Bump
I really don't want this One to be missed ....
It really is important to reinforce and understand

I agree about how important this is. I am a bit OCD when it comes to this on a normal basis anyway.

I did have a question I was going to post about this actually, so great that I can do it here instead.

I purchased some Mundo disinfectant and the Mundo File and Abrasive disinfectant spray for files and foot files. The first one, I have to make up the solution, this solution has rusted a couple of the handles of my tools, my own fault as I left them soaking and forgot to take them out :rolleyes: Plus I have to try and work out a lesser quantity of solution to water as I don't need such a large amount as per the instructions on the bottle as it's just me with very few clients at the moment, with days in between sometimes before the next client, so I usually have to throw my solution away then make up more and it seems a bit of a waste to me.

With the File and Abrasive spray, it states on there that tools can also be disinfected with it as well as files and abrasives but my question was, is this a thorough enough way of doing it? It would be much more handy if I could just wash then spray my tools than making up the solution each time. If not, then I may purchase the one you have mentioned in your above post, it's quicker and easier for me to do that in between clients :wink2:

Thanks again for yet another informative post. I use a brand new file on a new client then I keep it in a bag on the back of their consultation card. I have a stiff brush to brush the files clean and Mundo spray. I always tell the client they have their own file and they all seem impressed. I think you have to draw it to their attention as otherwise the majority of them wouldn't notice and I think it puts their mind at rest.

Thanks again for yet another informative post. I use a brand new file on a new client then I keep it in a bag on the back of their consultation card. I have a stiff brush to brush the files clean and Mundo spray. I always tell the client they have their own file and they all seem impressed. I think you have to draw it to their attention as otherwise the majority of them wouldn't notice and I think it puts their mind at rest.

I've always had a file for each client too, although I keep mine in envelopes.

I agree about how important this is. I am a bit OCD when it comes to this on a normal basis anyway.

I did have a question I was going to post about this actually, so great that I can do it here instead.

I purchased some Mundo disinfectant and the Mundo File and Abrasive disinfectant spray for files and foot files. The first one, I have to make up the solution, this solution has rusted a couple of the handles of my tools, my own fault as I left them soaking and forgot to take them out :rolleyes: Plus I have to try and work out a lesser quantity of solution to water as I don't need such a large amount as per the instructions on the bottle as it's just me with very few clients at the moment, with days in between sometimes before the next client, so I usually have to throw my solution away then make up more and it seems a bit of a waste to me.

With the File and Abrasive spray, it states on there that tools can also be disinfected with it as well as files and abrasives but my question was, is this a thorough enough way of doing it? It would be much more handy if I could just wash then spray my tools than making up the solution each time. If not, then I may purchase the one you have mentioned in your above post, it's quicker and easier for me to do that in between clients :wink2:

I agree Planky, I would be interested in an answer to this too. x

A hard surface disinfectant spray will fully disinfect a 'clean' surface when sprayed and allowed to clean

Soaking ensures that you don't miss anything

The spray I use is mixed up and lasts roughly a week when made (is bright pink and fades when no longer working properly)

Hths

A hard surface disinfectant spray will fully disinfect a 'clean' surface when sprayed and allowed to clean

Soaking ensures that you don't miss anything

The spray I use is mixed up and lasts roughly a week when made (is bright pink and fades when no longer working properly)

Hths

Still no clearer to me :lol: Hopefully one of the Sweets or anyone else that uses/supplies the Mundo Abrasive spray will be able to tell me. It does state it on there, just not sure how effective it is and whether I can use it instead of making up solution. Speed and ease is always a bonus :wink2:

My apologies - yes abrasive spray will work fine. So long as you scrub off all loose material first and take care to coat the whole surface and then allow to dry thoroughly. Mundo comes highly recommended

Hths

This such a fantastic thread, its completely cleared up my confusion, thank you

My apologies - yes abrasive spray will work fine. So long as you scrub off all loose material first and take care to coat the whole surface and then allow to dry thoroughly. Mundo comes highly recommended

Hths

Fabulous!! Thank you :hug: This is going to make things so much easier for me whilst I'm still getting a regular client base :)

Planky what a good question, I also was wondering about the mundo products. So am I right in thinking that I could just buy the spray and that would be enough?

I use the Munro rapid which you have to dilute. What I did was work out how much liquid my tray holds (you know the one that when you close the lid it lowers it into the solution. Then divided what the amounts are on the instructions with what my tray holds. Does that make sense?
It's ok for 5 days unless it becomes mucky but if I know I'm not going to use it for a few days I will make fresh after my next client. I'm like you Planky only a few clients at the moment.
Vicki x

I use the Munro rapid which you have to dilute. What I did was work out how much liquid my tray holds (you know the one that when you close the lid it lowers it into the solution. Then divided what the amounts are on the instructions with what my tray holds. Does that make sense?
It's ok for 5 days unless it becomes mucky but if I know I'm not going to use it for a few days I will make fresh after my next client. I'm like you Planky only a few clients at the moment.
Vicki x

So don't you find this a bit of a pain and waste? I know I do, all for one or two clients a week at the mo if I'm lucky and because my clients are so infrequent, I also find that I sometimes nearly forget to make up new solution but do remember at the last minute. Now I know I can use the File and Abrasive spray instead, this will be so much quicker and easier and I know I don't have to worry about it not being enough because it is. Brilliant :)

Just a bump as a few posts latEly tell me this information is still not universally understood. But it really needs to be...

Fab thread again :)

Have to say I like the idea of each client having their own file - think I'll do that from now on too!

Also I have just ordered the Mundo file & abrasive spray - once tools are washed and sprayed I assume they have to air dry then as opposed to being dried with clean couch roll?

So don't you find this a bit of a pain and waste? I know I do, all for one or two clients a week at the mo if I'm lucky and because my clients are so infrequent, I also find that I sometimes nearly forget to make up new solution but do remember at the last minute. Now I know I can use the File and Abrasive spray instead, this will be so much quicker and easier and I know I don't have to worry about it not being enough because it is. Brilliant :)

Hi Planky. Sorry I lost this thread :).
U still have a 'normal' read god awful normal job at the moment. So I have my clients coming on days off or in the evening. Seems at the moment I am able to keep everyone together :). But I do understand what you mean and I would have to think of something else if it was just a couple of clients.
Vicki xx :)

Fab thread again :)

Have to say I like the idea of each client having their own file - think I'll do that from now on too!

Also I have just ordered the Mundo file & abrasive spray - once tools are washed and sprayed I assume they have to air dry then as opposed to being dried with clean couch roll?
Glad you enjoyed the thread... It really worries me that this information it's not universally taught ...

Most hard surface disinfectant sprays need to air dry to work. Not having used the mundo I assume that it would still be the case...

Glad you enjoyed the thread... It really worries me that this information it's not universally taught ...

Most hard surface disinfectant sprays need to air dry to work. Not having used the mundo I assume that it would still be the case...

I was taught about in college but quite a few years ago now but it's one of those topics that is always useful to be reminded of :)

Latest posts

Back