Science Topic: Sanitation in the salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is all so important. Every tech should know this.

Laura xx

From reading a few threads lately, it seems alot of training institutes are not covering this important chapter in their students training, which is shocking especially in this day and age!!

Definitely agree with Chickafish, this needs to be a "Sticky"! Seems that Salon Geek is filling in on the education techs are missing. :lol:

Yes PLEEEASE make this a sticky, it is a must read for everybody!

Can I just ask if soaking in barbicide would tools go rusty?
My tools are in barbicide & I use Mundo file & abrasive spray. Is there a better option? I don't want to ruin my tools. On a recent training course the educator said "we don't recommend soaking your tools as it will make them rusty" instead they advised anti bac wipes & that would suffice.
Please advise... I'm moving into the salon soon & want everything cleared up xx

My tools are in barbicide & I use Mundo file & abrasive spray. Is there a better option? I don't want to ruin my tools. On a recent training course the educator said "we don't recommend soaking your tools as it will make them rusty" instead they advised anti bac wipes & that would suffice.

Anti bac wipes would be a much better way for mobile techs I'd be very interested to no? Also is a certain one recommended it any anti bac wipe? X

The Mundo disinfectant solution makes tools rusty. Barbicide doesn't. Have no idea why. I learnt that on this site after having problems with Mundo solution.

Planky what a good question, I also was wondering about the mundo products. So am I right in thinking that I could just buy the spray and that would be enough?

Have a word with Nigel Rouse at Mundo, he will answer any questions.

As Daisy Digits suggests, feel free to contact me if you have any queries.

With regards to Power Plus making tools go rusty; this is most likely due to either (1) making the solution too concentrated (2) leaving tools immersed longer than the stated time.

On any disinfectant product, it is very important to follow instructions to the letter.

Hoping someone can help! I did a set of nails today and in hind site I probably shouldn't have. On the ladies right hand the skin around her two of her fingers was white and bumpy it was mostly only on the skin but starting to go down onto the nail. Also her cuticle work on all nails was quite bad and took a while. I have frantically cleaned my tools and will boil them, the files have been thrown out and all other equipment lamp etc sprayed but what else can I do now? What about the bottles I used could they have spores in them if it was fungal? I am now totally phobic, I am still reasonably new to nails and only do a part time basis and just couldn't get the confidence to say but I should have listened to my gut and what I've read in hear 😔

What we must remember here is that all tools should be clean before disinfecting in what ever solution. YOU CANNOT DISINFECT DIRTY TOOLS. They should be washed in hot soapy water and then placed in your solution or sprayed thoroughly. This is especially important with pedi tools.
It is fine to leave tools to air dry never dry them with tissue,couch roll etc. This is actually undoing what you have done. If you are mobile you need to pack them in a clean container and spray them before use.
I keep separate files for each client which I vigorously brush after use and spray letting it air dry before wrapping it in a clean tissue and placing it in her zip folder. This holds her card and all her files/buffers etc.
I wipe the table and inside the lamps in between each client with disinfect wipes and ask each client to wash their hands on arrival. I wash my hands after each client and use sanitiser hand gel before I start.

Just popped over here from your link and found it very helpful for a training newbie like me. Thanks x ☺

Just popped over here from your link and found it very helpful for a training newbie like me. Thanks x ☺
Your most welcome. Always here to help. Sadly it seems to many techs don't get taught this basic info ...

i wasnt taught this! i was just told to put tools in barbicide. very good thread! x

i wasnt taught this! i was just told to put tools in barbicide. very good thread! x

Yes simlar for me too! I'm so glad I started to use Salon Geek so I can get advice from professionals x

Yes simlar for me too! I'm so glad I started to use Salon Geek so I can get advice from professionals x
me to best thing i ever did! seems like ive learnt more one here than did on my training! x

Latest posts

Back