Science Topic: Warts

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Food for thought:

Doug schoon and I discussed the most unhygienic flooring, his opinion was hotel/motel carpets - as they are rarely (if ever) shampooed or steam cleaned, normally just vacuumed which does not remove pathogens.

And with literally hundreds of strangers walking barefoot they can teem with life...

Always wear slippers in a hotel...

Odd you should mention steam cleaning Allen - my gran just celebrated her 80th birthday and my aunt bought her one of the new "steam shork" carpet cleaners as she is obsessed with having a totally clean carpet! I wouldn't mind one as they are light enough to use once a week or more and i currenyl only shampoo my carpets maybe 3 times a year throughout the house x

Odd you should mention steam cleaning Allen - my gran just celebrated her 80th birthday and my aunt bought her one of the new "steam shork" carpet cleaners as she is obsessed with having a totally clean carpet! I wouldn't mind one as they are light enough to use once a week or more and i currenyl only shampoo my carpets maybe 3 times a year throughout the house x

What is a "steam shork"? sounds like something I could do with.

Oops should have said shark haha can't link as am on my phone xxx

Food for thought:

Doug schoon and I discussed the most unhygienic flooring, his opinion was hotel/motel carpets - as they are rarely (if ever) shampooed or steam cleaned, normally just vacuumed which does not remove pathogens.

And with literally hundreds of strangers walking barefoot they can teem with life...

Always wear slippers in a hotel...

Oh that's a gross thought!

Thank you Allen. :D For the thread, I mean!

very glad I searched and found this thread.

If you were to decide to work on someone with a wart, say it was on their foot but you were just applying Shellac and by no means touching the wart AND the wart was covered so as to avoid contaminating lamps/stools etc would this be considered ok to work on?

Obviously as mentioned above I realise its down to insurance and I shall be phoning mine to check but whats confused me is that a lady I recently had in had a manicure with me and then afterwards told me she suffered with warts on her feet so the last salon refused to perform a manicure on her. She had completed the consulation card but circled no as she thought it only applied to her hands as that was the treatment I was performing that day. What do you all make of this? Seems to be a grey area to me. Obviously if my files or tools where to come into contact with it I could understand but this has confused me slightly. Is the virus carried in her blood therefore we must avoid all treatments incase of say blood spotting during waxing or perhaps nicking the cuticle?

Thanks Geeks.

What about if the wart was covered with Germoline new skin which forms a liquid waterproof seal on & around the wart.

Would it be safe to work on the client then?

What about if the wart was covered with Germoline new skin which forms a liquid waterproof seal on & around the wart.

Would it be safe to work on the client then?

I use this on my son (he gets verrucas a lot from swimming) instead of nail polish as it lasts longer! (It cuts off the oxygen supply) however I am not sure whether it be risk free on clients as it will wear away over time, but a good thought.

I use this on my son (he gets verrucas a lot from swimming) instead of nail polish as it lasts longer! (It cuts off the oxygen supply) however I am not sure whether it be risk free on clients as it will wear away over time, but a good thought.

It wouldn't wear away in the hour or so it takes to do the manicure or pedicure.

I have used it if a client has a sore rough bit of skin before applying the gel remover as the New Skin only stings for a few seconds but the gel remover stings them a lot longer.

My 10 year old daughter had a verruca last year from swimming and I bought over the counter stuff and used or religiously.
However it didn't work much and was a discomfort for her

Later on she informs me that she used my toe nail clippers and cut the thing out!!!

It wouldn't wear away in the hour or so it takes to do the manicure or pedicure.

I have used it if a client has a sore rough bit of skin before applying the gel remover as the New Skin only stings for a few seconds but the gel remover stings them a lot longer.

I don't wish to sound nit picky but you would have to ask the insurance company if you can apply this to a clients wart (hence wondering if it were fully covered if a client said they applied it).

I don't wish to sound nit picky but you would have to ask the insurance company if you can apply this to a clients wart (hence wondering if it were fully covered if a client said they applied it).

Hummm....Hadn't crossed my mind about the insurance, Why would it be a problem? it would be no different to giving them a plaster as that is what it is, a liquid plaster & if it is ok to work on someone if it is covered maybe both liquid & plaster would be best, as long as nothing came into contact with it.

I must admit I haven't come across a client with a wart yet but it is bound to happen sooner or later so this is a great discussion.:)

I'm glad it has you thinking... Warts are fairly safe BUT

you must ensure never to come in contact with them - the virus is very active around the actual wart protrusion - if you file over this, or handle it with broken skin, the virus will happily jump and spread...

An earlier question was wether you can do a manicure on a client who has Warts on their feet...
Even though the virus is active in the body, it is generally only contagious from around the wart itself - so it is fine to perform a manicure on a client who has warts on their feet and visa versa..

hth's

I'm glad it has you thinking... Warts are fairly safe BUT

you must ensure never to come in contact with them - the virus is very active around the actual wart protrusion - if you file over this, or handle it with broken skin, the virus will happily jump and spread...

An earlier question was wether you can do a manicure on a client who has Warts on their feet...
Even though the virus is active in the body, it is generally only contagious from around the wart itself - so it is fine to perform a manicure on a client who has warts on their feet and visa versa..

hth's

Thankyou for answering my question Envy. Would I be right in assuming if they had warts on their feet/toes but that they would come into no contact atall with your skin/files/tools that so long as they were covered you could go ahead and polish their toes including cuticle work? I wouldnt want to exfoliate obviously but would imagine if they were away from the actual nail bed and you wouldnt be touching them this would be ok?

Thanks again.

Great thread, i had a client last week who had one on the side of her finger id never noticed an either had she until i pointed it out . I advised her to go to her gp and dumped her files x

Thankyou for answering my question Envy. Would I be right in assuming if they had warts on their feet/toes but that they would come into no contact atall with your skin/files/tools that so long as they were covered you could go ahead and polish their toes including cuticle work? I wouldnt want to exfoliate obviously but would imagine if they were away from the actual nail bed and you wouldnt be touching them this would be ok?

Thanks again.
You are right in thinking that if 'nothing' comes into contact then you and your tools are safe, but I would suggest a very good covering...

if you just try and 'avoid' touching them, you probably still will put them in contact with your work surfaces/hands etc... this is where trouble lies..

Can I ask how one would go about telling a client? In the past I have been told that " I think you may a slight skin disorder" is ok to say but it doesn't sound good to me.

Is there an alternative way given that we are not meant to diagnose?
Also aren't there some ridculous rules and regs about handing out sticky plasters, what else would you recommend covering them with?

Thanks Geeks.

I gave a pedicure to a client the other day and noticed she had a verruca, she said it was fine but I went and got a second opinion from my other therapist as shes the senior and im a junior and she said its ok but now I have what looks like it could be a wart on my hand! What do I do and what is the correct procedure if a client has a verruca? Help !

Latest posts

Back