Scissors for a student?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lulunz

Reaction score
I’m starting my Level 2 training this September and I’ve been looking at the different student kits.

Scissors are obviously a very important part of the kit and I’ve got my eye on a pair of scissors which aren’t the cheapest.

I was going to wait until I qualified to reward myself with these scissors but I’m debating whether I should just get them now.

Any advice on whether I should wait until I’m qualified before splurging or whether I should invest in a good pair of scissors for my course?

I’m starting my Level 2 training this September and I’ve been looking at the different student kits.

Scissors are obviously a very important part of the kit and I’ve got my eye on a pair of scissors which aren’t the cheapest.

I was going to wait until I qualified to reward myself with these scissors but I’m debating whether I should just get them now.

Any advice on whether I should wait until I’m qualified before splurging or whether I should invest in a good pair of scissors for my course?
A good pair of scissors are never cheap. The scissors that come in the kits are not great... They will do, but if you're 100% certain that hairdressing is what you want to do then I would buy them. A good haircut not only comes from knowledge and experience but also good quality tools.

You could buy some slightly fancier scissors but I strongly recommend that you don’t purchase very expensive scissors when training for 4 reasons:

1. If they’re a high quality scissor, they might get ‘borrowed’ by fellow students and go walkies
2. most students drop their scissors a few times during training. Dropping good quality well balanced scissors can damage them.
3. Some training heads contain synthetic hair fibres and they can blunt certain blade types very quickly.
4. There are several different types of blades and handle styles and you won’t really know what suits you until you’ve gained considerably more experience.

Save up for for when you’ve finished your training and treat yourself to a really good quality pair.

Thanks for the advice guys [emoji4]

You could buy some slightly fancier scissors but I strongly recommend that you don’t purchase very expensive scissors when training for 4 reasons:

1. If they’re a high quality scissor, they might get ‘borrowed’ by fellow students and go walkies
2. most students drop their scissors a few times during training. Dropping good quality well balanced scissors can damage them.
3. Some training heads contain synthetic hair fibres and they can blunt certain blade types very quickly.
4. There are several different types of blades and handle styles and you won’t really know what suits you until you’ve gained considerably more experience.

Save up for for when you’ve finished your training and treat yourself to a really good quality pair.

Another question, how much would you advise to spend on a pair of scissors, considering I’m a student?
I’ve been browsing and as I’m sure you know they vary a lot in price. The pair I have my eye on are around £250.

It’s your money so your choice but I honestly wouldn’t spend more than about £50 at this stage. Stick with the basic kit until you know what suits you. Until you’ve developed your cutting technique you won’t know if you suit straight, crane, off-set or semi offset handled scissors or even the length of the scissor. You have to feel and handle them as if you’re cutting hair to check their balance in your hand and length and weight is very important. It’s not sensible to choose your most important trade tools based on how they look.

You will also need to ensure you get them sharpened by someone who is properly trained. You can’t use your kitchen knife sharpener on them or cut pieces of foil to sharpen them. (I’ve actually heard that recommended by some Numpty.) I send mine away to be sharpened. Definitely don’t let anyone else borrow them. Other people you live with might not appreciate their importance and grab them to cut paper or plastic tags. :mad:

I do recommend that you visit one of the big annual trade shows to see just what’s available. The range of items on sale will be huge compared to what’s on offer in your local wholesalers. You can actually handle lots of scissors (and brushes, combs etc.) and they usually run special show offers. Lots of people take a small wheeled trolley to these events! Salon International in London is probably the biggest event and is usually held around October and there’s a special student day on the Monday with offers and hairdressing demo’s aimed at students and new graduates.

It’s your money so your choice but I honestly wouldn’t spend more than about £50 at this stage. Stick with the basic kit until you know what suits you. Until you’ve developed your cutting technique you won’t know if you suit straight, crane, off-set or semi offset handled scissors or even the length of the scissor. You have to feel and handle them as if you’re cutting hair to check their balance in your hand and length and weight is very important. It’s not sensible to choose your most important trade tools based on how they look.

You will also need to ensure you get them sharpened by someone who is properly trained. You can’t use your kitchen knife sharpener on them or cut pieces of foil to sharpen them. (I’ve actually heard that recommended by some Numpty.) I send mine away to be sharpened. Definitely don’t let anyone else borrow them. Other people you live with might not appreciate their importance and grab them to cut paper or plastic tags. :mad:

I do recommend that you visit one of the big annual trade shows to see just what’s available. The range of items on sale will be huge compared to what’s on offer in your local wholesalers. You can actually handle lots of scissors (and brushes, combs etc.) and they usually run special show offers. Lots of people take a small wheeled trolley to these events! Salon International in London is probably the biggest event and is usually held around October and there’s a special student day on the Monday with offers and hairdressing demo’s aimed at students and new graduates.

Thanks so much for the advice.

I had some jaguar scissors when I was training that were great and cost somewhere around £60. Once I'd finished all of my training I upgraded to some better ones but I had no issues with the jaguar ones and all our trainees use them as there relatively cheap :)

Latest posts

Back