Scissors UK

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olivia16695

Reaction score
Has anyone ever bought scissors from scissor tech. Com?
Or has anyone got any brands that they recommend?
Looking at buying some but didn't want to jump into spending a lot of money from a website I havent bought from before..
Any recommendations or advice would be much appreciated thanks

Not tried them but I have bought new scissors from https://www.yoiscissors.co.uk/
They’re based in Glasgow and you can speak to someone on the phone for advice before you buy.
They also sharpened my favourite pair and I was very happy with their speedy service.

I think scissors are tricky to buy as everyone is so different. Think about the type of blade you want, so avoid a bevelled edge if you do a lot of slicing, a convex blade is better for that. A bevelled edge is good for dry cutting as it stops the hair sliding off so easily.

Also, the cheaper pairs can’t really be sharpened more than about once or twice compared to the much more expensive scissors, due to the quality of the metals used.

Not tried them but I have bought new scissors from https://www.yoiscissors.co.uk/
They’re based in Glasgow and you can speak to someone on the phone for advice before you buy.
They also sharpened my favourite pair and I was very happy with their speedy service.

I think scissors are tricky to buy as everyone is so different. Think about the type of blade you want, so avoid a bevelled edge if you do a lot of slicing, a convex blade is better for that. A bevelled edge is good for dry cutting as it stops the hair sliding off so easily.

Also, the cheaper pairs can’t really be sharpened more than about once or twice compared to the much more expensive scissors, due to the quality of the metals used.
Unrelated but I just sat there thinking about scissors and thought "cheaper scissors make a snip snip sound whereas more good quality scissors make a chop chop sound". It think it may be because cheaper scissors tend to catch the hair more and the blades are not sharpened so well, meaning theres resistance when you snip, versus the better quality ones have a smoother snip. What do you think? Maybe I'm just going mad[emoji23]

O.P sorry for hijacking your thread!

Unrelated but I just sat there thinking about scissors and thought "cheaper scissors make a snip snip sound whereas more good quality scissors make a chop chop sound".

I think you might be right.:D
I sew as a hobby and I’m in a small sewing bee group. I can definitely tell the difference between good quality fabric scissors when cutting fabric as they do make a different sound to the generic cheapy ones used by one of the ladies.
I hadn’t really noticed the difference with hairdressing scissors but I’ll try out my old college scissors (I think I still have them) and a newer pair on a head block and have a listen.

I sew as a hobby and I’m in a small sewing bee group. I can definitely tell the difference between good quality fabric scissors when cutting fabric as they do make a different sound to the generic cheapy ones used by one of the ladies.
I hadn’t really noticed the difference with hairdressing scissors but I’ll try out my old college scissors (I think I still have them) and a newer pair on a head block and have a listen.
Let me know the results! [emoji23]

Love the sound of fabric being cut with sharp scissors, my mum has always done upholstery and sewing so it makes me think of when she would be working away on her curtains and stuff [emoji5]

Latest posts

Back