Scratch, Nails, Prof Nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glorsclaws

Photographic Geek
Reaction score
Hiya,
As we have our own Ruth, Dawnie, Caroline (Crazy) competing next month at the NEC it has reminded me of a pet niggle I have.
So,to the powers that be, I would just like to say that I for one would love to see pics of competition results (especially nailart).
We often get to read results but, rarely see them.
More competition pics, please!

sawasdee ka

Very good idea maybe them can show photo all nail and nail art make prize 1 2 3 i like look photo but now i see in magazine many company for sell and no have much photo or for education about nail and nail art i not know scratch i not see b4 maybe them not same same .

Mui ka

I quite agree wih Gloria.

:mad: It has been a 15 year struggle on my part to get what I call proper recognition given to competition winners, especially on the day at the prize giving ceremonies. There should be a proper Master of Ceremonies and a small interview with the winners and at least something made of their victory.

At the moment and for years there has only been a perfunctory 'well done' and off you go attitude. I think this is totally shabby treatment towards those who pay their own costs and come from long distances - never mind the hard work beforehand - to take part. I agree that pictures and profiles should also go into the magazines after the event.

There should also be separate competition categories for L&P, gels, and wraps. It is not fair to lump every competitor together in one category ... as different systems do have different looks and in my opinion this should be taken into account.

Well said geeg!
why dont you start a petition and present it to the magazines. I know they couldnt survive without advertisers but a few more "reallife" nail pics would be good. All the work you see is mainly fashion it would be nice to see more commercial work.
what does everyone else think?

Tracy Mclean said:
I know they couldnt survive without advertisers but a few more "reallife" nail pics would be good.
I agree about the advertisers and though I understand that side of the business, I notice that when we do see pics of the 'real life' side of the industry I always need a magnifying glass while the advertisements get double page spreads!
It would be nice if the balance was redressed (even just a little bit!)

Hi guys

I hear you all loud and clear and apologise for not addressing this in the five years I have been editing a nail-related title.

Forget the past!

Let's move on - I will take on board all you've said and profile the winners accordingly

It was weird however that at the NEC this weekend the winners were called out as numbers and for the techs I did not know I was unable to put a name to the number until the PR came from The Guild. Coupled wiht the fact that it ran over time and then the room went crazy wiht everyone leaving or running to get their score sheet - it was bedlam. Gigi is right - we should make sure in future that award ceremonies provide an arena at the end where journalists can interview and photograph winners and nails.

I can address this with The Guild next year as I am a sponsor, however you wil have to take this up with Professional Nails/Beauty yourselves.

Tahnks you for this enlightenment - I will endeavour to deal with this in the April issue when I dislcose the winnners of teh NEC competition.

By the way- 60 competitors took part last Sunday- it was wicked!!!!!!!!!

Alex Fox
editor
Scratch
[email protected] :biggrin:

Have to agree with this :biggrin:
We all like to see the famous pictured, But also more of comp winners and biographys of working techs. Like many of us ;) would be nice.

Alex Fox said:
Hi guys

I hear you all loud and clear and apologise for not addressing this in the five years I have been editing a nail-related title.

Forget the past!

Let's move on - I will take on board all you've said and profile the winners accordingly

It was weird however that at the NEC this weekend the winners were called out as numbers and for the techs I did not know I was unable to put a name to the number until the PR came from The Guild. Coupled wiht the fact that it ran over time and then the room went crazy wiht everyone leaving or running to get their score sheet - it was bedlam. Gigi is right - we should make sure in future that award ceremonies provide an arena at the end where journalists can interview and photograph winners and nails.

I can address this with The Guild next year as I am a sponsor, however you wil have to take this up with Professional Nails/Beauty yourselves.

Tahnks you for this enlightenment - I will endeavour to deal with this in the April issue when I dislcose the winnners of teh NEC competition.

By the way- 60 competitors took part last Sunday- it was wicked!!!!!!!!!

Alex Fox
editor
Scratch
Bedlam oh yes, I have never seen so many Techs running for score sheets.60 Techs and 60 models and loads of cherrer on's, it was faberoonie !!!!!!! But mad !!!!!! I loved it!!!!!
It was very confusing for all, the Techs had to listen out for numbers rather then their names........... confused, yes we all where...........So if we where, then the Reporters had no chance lol.......
But great to hear that Alex is on the case lol...........
Yea it would be great to see a profile and a piccie with a little info about them selfs..............

These competitors deserve proper recognician with a NAME damn it not just a number ... I am very surprised to hear the organizers did that!

No one recognises the effort that the competitors put into preparing for and getting to a competition ... the sacrifices in time spent with family or just plain living ... the COST.

Thanks Alex for commiting to recognising these people and maybe even giving a little 'history' of the number of times they have competed and where etc. Not everyone makes it the first time .. some have worked hard for years to win and a little background would be inspirational I'm sure to many wannabees.

Forgive me, but what do you do in competitions?

Is it a race?

What would I do if I wanted to enter? What is there to enter?

Crumbs, sorry for sounding so dumb but you're the only people I can ask

sdanzine said:
Forgive me, but what do you do in competitions?

Is it a race?

What would I do if I wanted to enter? What is there to enter?

Crumbs, sorry for sounding so dumb but you're the only people I can ask

Hi Samantha

The nail industry offers a variety of nail competitions, both here and abroad, where techs and nail artists can compete to produce the perfect nail. This is not the perfect salon nail that you do day in day out, but instead a beautiful piece of art - perfect nail in every which way from C curve and arch to shape, style and smile line.
For nail artists there are opportunities to airbrush, do freehand art and complete fantasy looks- believe me it's an exciting arena for techs to explore.
It offers the opportunity to better your skills, fulfill personal and professional ambition, allows networking and raises your profile in the industry as well as for your own PR and marketing purposes allowing you local editorial opportunities for your business.

Gigi will put all this better when she posts, as she fully understands the evolution of the UK nail competition and has been involved for years. So I'll leave Gigi to explain it in deeper terms.

However, in Scratch magazine we have been running articles on competing and what is expected, where they are held and cost etc - so feel free to call me up with your address and I'll post you the relevant issues.

best wishes

Alex Fox
01763 262 874

Being a competitor, the number thing was a bit confusing as i had already taken my models number of her hand and was routing through my bag to double check that i was no. 2. Would of felt an idiot screaming as loud as i did if i had got the wrong no.
And as for some recognition it would be nice :D . If anyone doesn't know although don't think theres many on here that dont I WON L&P!!!!!!
Paula xxx

geeg said:
These competitors deserve proper recognician with a NAME damn it not just a number ... I am very surprised to hear the organizers did that!

No one recognises the effort that the competitors put into preparing for and getting to a competition ... the sacrifices in time spent with family or just plain living ... the COST.

Thanks Alex for commiting to recognising these people and maybe even giving a little 'history' of the number of times they have competed and where etc. Not everyone makes it the first time .. some have worked hard for years to win and a little background would be inspirational I'm sure to many wannabees.

Hi all

This is just to let you know that the point has been heard at PN too. I have printed this thread out and will duly use it for a discussion with the team here to show the depth of feeling on this issue.

You will be pleased to hear that the wheels are in motion for a big overhaul of the competition procedure for the series of National Nail Competitions that take place alongside the Professional Beauty shows. By next year, I hope that there will be a competition procedure in place that is an event that techs aspire to, and is equally an event that newbie techs feel able to test the water in.

Although I've not been in the industry long, I've been in it long enough to appreciate that recognition for the hard work put in by techs who turn up to compete is damn important, and I've never understood why there isn't a UK version of The Nail Olympics already in place - with all the glory, DECENT prizes and recognition that goes with it.

Editorial space for reports of those deserved winners is something we can change however and your comments have been taken on board.

Please feel free to email or call me with your comments though - it's you who enter the comps, so it's you we should be listening to!

Cheers
Kat
xx

Deputy Ed
Professional Nails
Tel: 020 7471 1618
Email: [email protected]

paula1973 said:
Being a competitor, the number thing was a bit confusing as i had already taken my models number of her hand and was routing through my bag to double check that i was no. 2. Would of felt an idiot screaming as loud as i did if i had got the wrong no.
And as for some recognition it would be nice :D . If anyone doesn't know although don't think theres many on here that dont I WON L&P!!!!!!
Paula xxx

Paula Big fat congratulations to YOU!!!!!!!

I will call you tomorrow for an interview!

love Alex Fox
01763 262 874

Well done to Alex and Kathryn for taking all the comments on board..........here's looking to the future:green:

Adele

HURRRRAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

at last the people that can do something have heard our pleas & better still they r prepared to DO something about it!

i have been competeing now for14 yrs.

i have seen the good, the bad and the down-right ugly!!!

the international championships in dusseldorf were by far the best.

i've encounted ridiculous judging, very uncomfortable table & chairs, big cash prizes, goody bags, hand scribbled certificates..... the good & bad list is endless.

whenever i've won a comp, the magazine right-ups have been generally good, but i agree the winning nails have never been portrayed well enough.
on numerous occassions i've returned home to do a photo shoot with a local photographer (at great cost)

a suggestion,... one of the prizes could b a photo shoot there & then with the winning nails, with the winner getting a couple of shots for their port-folio.

this along with a DECENT beautiful trophy & mayb a cash prize too would REALLY give the competitors something to aim high for.

there, i feel better for that!

liza smith xx

I realise that it is all about getting your name known in the industry, but what do you actually win at the competions ?. Do they have rookie competitions ?

cheers

CLAIRE

NailsNovice said:
I realise that it is all about getting your name known in the industry, but what do you actually win at the competions ?. Do they have rookie competitions ?

cheers

CLAIRE
Well I have to slightly dissagree with this lol....................
It's not all about getting your names up in lights............But yes thats one of the perks, if you win !!!!
A competition will make you more aware of how your enhancements look..........
The way you work???
Tidy and neat ???
Health and Saftey standard ????
Is your work consistent ???
Have you got superb product control ????
Is your painting skill the best there is ???
Can you do nails to die for ????
Can you take constructive criticism ????
Can you work in an unfamilar enviroment???
Time pressure ????
And so on !!
Most of us competing Techs do competitions with yes the aim to win, but also using this chance, to have the best in the industry, commenting on them........I for one use it like a 1-2-1 training session...........
Giving you advise on how to perfect your skills......Tweaking your skills.....
To iron out the little flaws that only a competition will point out.......
It takes time to get to that so wanted 1st place..........
But hey getting in the top ten is no mean feast..........
When you first start competing, you start of in the newbies category or virgins a PB Comps call it.........this runs along side the major Comp......
Last years PB rules where, if you placed 1st to7th you then enter the next major comp, over 7th to say 16th and you could do the virgins one more time..........

So hey babe, give it a go, it's fun and well worth doing, education wise that is!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back