Scratch that!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aligirl

Reaction score
No, no, no, no and a thousand times no!

I guess the people at Scratch may think they're being avant-garde by using that image on this months issue? That's the only explanation I can think of for it. For a long time we've wanted to change the general perception of nail technicians so that our professionalism will be recognized. How exactly does this image promote us as 'nail professionals'? It's promoting something for sure... but it certainly isn't nail professionalism!

I mean, puh-leeze! Who (apart from perhaps the subject himself) wants to see a picture of a semi-nude Leighton Denny with some bloke's hand groping his scanty lycra? Not me... and I bet my postie didn't either!

There was I, tired and bleary eyed, went out to collect my post. The magazine had landed face side down. There's a heavy wooden shelf above my letter box, which isn't normally a problem. It was this morning though. I bent down to pick up the magazine, and unfortunately turned it over and saw the front cover as I was standing up again. It made me jump. So much so that I cracked my head on the *!%&** shelf, and ended up on my knees clutching my poor bonce, waiting for the world to stop spinning.

Should I write to the criminal injuries compensation board? I mean... I should probably go and have a couple of stitches in it..... and then there's the fact that I'll never be able to look my postie in the eye again....

Seriously though, (incase anyone from Scratch visits this board) what I want to see is a professional-looking image of professionally done nails on the cover of a professional nail technicians magazine. I think that makes my professional point. Professionally. Thankyou and goodnight!

Ali

I'm with Ali on this!! Sorry Alex! :rolleyes:

but i must admit that the cover did nothing for me either

Seriously though, (incase anyone from Scratch visits this board) what I want to see is a professional-looking image of professionally done nails on the cover of a professional nail technicians magazine

and so say all of us ali

:shock: :shock:

Oh Gawd!!!! I have my 'Scratch' magazine delivered to my mum's in the UK, she posts it on to me along with 'Nails' - I've not received it yet, so not seen the picture........ am I going to have some explaining to do to her!!??!! :shock:

Aligirl said:
I mean, puh-leeze! Who (apart from perhaps the subject himself) wants to see a picture of a semi-nude Leighton Denny with some bloke's hand groping his scanty lycra?

A scantily clad man in lycra....WHERE....point me in his direction :D

Seriously though, I'd love to comment when I actually get sight of this one but I'm probably at the bottom of the posting pile....as usual...must admit, sounds totally off the wall as a front page cover for a nails mag...my postie has seen all sorts come to my address so I'm sure I'll just get the rolling eye treatment and a few tuts... :oops:

As I'm totally curious about the second issue of this newbie mag, just wondering what you think of it this month Ali (aside from images of scantily clad men that is)?

I picked it up and my thought was "what the hell is this?" then saw the title. Sorry Scratch not impressed.

I mean, puh-leeze! Who (apart from perhaps the subject himself) wants to see a picture of a semi-nude Leighton Denny with some bloke's hand groping his scanty lycra
Well I think you hit the nail on the head there Ali, he should have kept them to himself. Had there of been a picture of Leightons work i.e. nails, on the cover it would have been far more appropriate.
Jane

While I`m more impressed with my 2nd copy and I was impressed with the first, I agree......I don`t think its an appropriate cover for a professional nail magazine........much rather have seen his work..........
I loved the cover of the first copy

debbiepromotions said:
I loved the cover of the first copy

Thanks Debbie - that was us!!! :oops: :oops:

well I`m impressed, lets see more like that. It may not of been beautiful nails but it was beautiful all the same and certainly no where on the same tacky line as Denny`s bod in all its glory
That makes me sound very opinionated, lol, but I`m not at all

Well I havn't got my copy yet, but had quick look at Fayes.
Well we where in stiches lol , when we realized that the groping hands where males hands as well as females.........

Well but the inside was much more my cuppa.
Sams tutorial as usual was great, piccies not to good but hey I know we will get them on here.................

It was well recieved by the one of the co-owners of the shop. He just said wow what a bod and where can I meet him?????

So thats put in in a nutshell for me, inside up to scratch out side just a loads of ..................

Love Ruth xxx

The content is very good (agree about the step by step shots ruth)... I must give them credit for trying to do something a little different... but alas... I did not like the cover (I didn’t even notice the guys hand... just noticed there was a... um... hand)

I don't necessarily believe that all of the covers have to be nails... sometimes I want to ralph as I pull out a nail mag only to find yet another variation on the QVC pose... I like they tried something different... I give them big credit for trying it when the magazine is so new... But you sure as hell wont find that mag cover side up in my office ;)

Dear techs
I am so sorry you don't like the cover of Scratch 2.

I have to say I'm gutted as I really fought to get it on - against my partner Scott.

Myself, Sarah (Scratch journo) and Bogdan (designer) wanted to create a wow factor- something never done before on a nail mag - a nail tech!

This shot was taken by a top celebrity photographer for a consumer mag (he allowed us to use it - not a common situation with trade mags) and - as it had hands and nails all over it - it just screeched Scratch at me - I love it to pieces!!!!!

I appreciate all your views and take them on board! I will calm down and give you what you want - although at Scracth our motto is - Dare to be different - as we don't want Scratch to mirror what other nail mags are doing.
I have to say - I think Leigton's body rocks! And found this image quite raunchy - so I thought it would get a good reception

sorry guys - I'll get it right next month - I can assure you!!!!!

Alex Fox
editor :(

Don’t conform!

Like I said before... I love that you did something different... I just didn’t dig this particular result.

There are already plenty of great nail mags out there. If you can’t do it different... why bother doing it at all?

I believe in what you are doing and I for one don’t want you to change it... You lose some, you win some. The more daring you get, the more black and white it gets.
You could take the middle of the road... put a standard cover on... that way no one could really dislike it... but then again... no one would really love it either.

Stay on the path Al ;)

Aww Alex - at least you stood your ground and dared to be different - all credit to you for explaining your reasoning...and braving this forum 8) Personally I'm still itching to see Lycra Leigton ...I don't get out much do I! I'll await its arrival with bated breath.... :D

On the positive side, its got our full attention now hasn't it and will probably be the topic of conversation for a good while to come ;)

I didn't notice it was a male hand either, i was too keen to start reading! i thought this edition really good, and you must admit, although maybe not fitting for the front cover, leighton has got a rather nice body oops

Keep smiling
Sue

i thought it was cool - but then i'm a bit wacky with my ideas anyway.
i thought it showed nails in a differnet pose from the 'qvc' ones and that has got to be good.

go alex!!!

woweee! I can't wait to get my copy and see this picture! sounds verry interesting.

I was so quick to shoot the cover down in flames I forgot to give you credit for the contents. Not read it thoroughly yet but what I,ve seen I really liked. It appears to be just what we want, informatiive, step by steps, views and news, not pages of articles unrelated to nails.
Still don't like the cover though, had leighton been dressed from eg. Men in Black, I don't think it would have caused such a stir.
Jane

Chill girl - like you say, dare to be different BUT remember not everyone will like it! :rolleyes: and that's OK!!! cONTENT WAS GREAT but was only commenting on the cover - I always look forward to your work and you are not to take the comments personally!! Reactions like this are for all kinds of reasons - their reaction to the shot, maybe their feelings about the person - either way, you will have plenty who love the shot too!! ;)

Hey Alex,

You've got everyone talking about Scratch and those who haven't seen it can't wait to get their mits on it! That's gotta be a good thing???

The cover has given us all a laugh and the content was brilliant - just loved the sculpture article - sounds like a winning formular to me!

It made me laff coz in the questionaire in the first issue it said 'who would you most like your nails done by?' and I chose Leighton Denny - well, if I was ever lucky enough for that to happen I just wouldn't be able to look him in the face! :shock:

Will just have to stick to my first choice - David Beckham - although someone told me he don't do nails... :?

Thanks for a great mag!

Kx :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back