Sculpting with Forms

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enhanced-Barbie

Reaction score
Hey! I've just been going through some of the tutorials (you wouldnt believe how much they have helped me, and given me confidence!).
I read in one tut that you should create a 'tip' before doing your zone 1 bead.

Ive never been told this before and got taught to just go straight for your zone 1 bead.

I'd just like to know the reasons for sculpting the tip and if it is a must for perfect nails?
Thanks for the great site girls

Suze :hug:

I've read that thread too, and no it's not necessary. I personally would not do it just because it seems like it would actually be more work and slow me down. Some techs do it to avoid that little ridge that can occur under the nail if the form does not fit properly, so they make a tip and then sculpt over it. It's all personal preference. :green: Here is a link so you can watch some videos:

The second one down is the sculpted nail on a form. Enjoy and good luck!

1 - Tammy Taylor Webolutionary Nail Procedure Video Encyclopedia

You have to click on the cable or the modem to watch them

Wow that site is a god send, your a hunni!! :hug:

I apply both ways, it just depend on if I want to build in a white french or just an overlay, there are other advantages as well, if you are using pink instead of clear the pink you may stain your white.
What ever way you practice will be the way you master it. If you keep changing your pattern looking for the best tecnique you will never master anything. Trust your mentor and stick with it until you master it.

Hey! I've just been going through some of the tutorials (you wouldnt believe how much they have helped me, and given me confidence!).
I read in one tut that you should create a 'tip' before doing your zone 1 bead.

Ive never been told this before and got taught to just go straight for your zone 1 bead.

I'd just like to know the reasons for sculpting the tip and if it is a must for perfect nails?
Thanks for the great site girls

Suze :hug:
If you are referring to the Super Sonic Sculpting tutorial and this passage:

Sculpting out a tip

I apply a thin layer of white up to the natural nail free edge and essentially, sculpt out a tip.

1. Take a medium size bead… one that’s relative to the width and length of the ‘tip’ you are sculpting out and apply it up against the free edge. Be careful not to push product onto the surface of the plate.
  2. Give the bead a moment to settle, then in gentle nudging motions… push it up to the free edge line and out to one side. When you get to about 80% of the way over, work the other side of the bead to the 80% mark.
  3. Go back to the first side and nudge it up into the corner, then repeat the nudging on the opposite side.
  4. Gently smooth out your surface and then carve your lower arch in with the side of your brush.
    You do this by scooping the side up… and then by pushing it toward the natural nail… then away in a swooping motion.
Viola. There is your sculpted tip.

Sam explains the reason for this in the previous passage:

The technique

One of the most common difficulties when sculpting on a form is due to something fancy pants called ‘Surface Differentiation’.

What that essentially means, is that when it comes time to sculpt, you end up working on 2 different types of surfaces that respond differently to the product.

The natural nail (and tips for that matter) are porous and ‘grab’ product, Forms are designed to be non porous so they ‘repel’ product. While this is a good thing friends (unless you fancy your clients leaving with forms still stuck to their enhancements)… It can spell frustration for nail technicians trying to master the art of sculpting.

To solve this problem, I sculpt in layers.

It is not a necessity for perfect nails but it can help in your application of zone 1 if using forms. Some use this technique some don't it all comes down to personal preferrence. HTH

I think Grafxgal ...and of course GMG ....have answered that perfectly!.

I would just like to add that I also like to sculpt in layers because when you apply the second bead you can concentrate more on creating that perfect smile line as the form and length are already sorted. hth

Ah I see now, all has become clear :idea::idea::idea:

Hi,
Thanks great link, I will have a go now............I have saved it to my favourites list. Lol x

A bit off topic I know but I had my volume off so as not to disturb hubby who is working but just watching the beginning where she is removing the shine made me wince. That looked quite excessive to me. I do think watching clips can be quite helpful but sometimes I notice quite marked differences between how I was taught and what I see on screen.

Latest posts

Back