Sealant - part of the service or an optional extra?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is Sealant an extra or part of the service

• its part of the finished result

Votes: 21 63.6%
  • its an optional extra

Votes: 12 36.4%

• Total voters

magsham

Reaction score
Hi Guys - this one has been bugging me for a while so who better to ask than the professionals! :green:

When i did my IHBC course we discussed pricelists & marketing (guidelines given by Bio Sculpture) and our tutor suggested several things that were in her view optional extras - such as executive base etc - and included sealant as one, although Bio has their topcoat which goes on at the end.

I'm interested to know whether you include a sealant - such as Ultra Seal or Glaze and Go - as part of your service or whether you offer it as an extra, cos i feel a little mean when i do!!

Your opinion is greatly appreciated. xx

I'm having somewhat the same problem Glad you brought it up!!! What about other services. How do you know when to charge and when not to. Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread......lol

At the moment I am training and feel mean if I ask to charge for this. Our tutor charges extra for this service in college where they use glaze and go.

I mostly buff because I don't like to say a UV topcoat will be extra.

In a salon where I was doing placement, they always put on perma gloss but this is in with the price not optional it is just done automatic.

If you would prefer to use a sealant on all your nail services and are unsure of asking the extra money from the client just make your price lists up so that the top coat is already accounted for,
so if you would normally charge £35 for a full set
and £5 for the sealant
on your price lists you need to be putting your full sets at £40 then it is covered and you don't have to feel uncomfortable asking the client to pay the extra hth
these prices are just an example, you charge what you think you can ask for a set of nails.

I charge an extra £2.00 at the moment which is increasing to £2.50 soon. It's on my price lists as such.

well i put 'as an optional extra' because not all my clients want it - but i don't charge extra for it.

i use a finishing gel over all my enhancements. it is my choice. it makes those nails look better. it shows my work to its best advantage. it means i dont have to wait for top coat to dry or have to redo it if they smudge it. and it saves me a lot of buffing time and buffers. to me its a must, and part of the service not an optional extra. its to my advantage as much as or even more than the clients.

I may have this wrong but I use L&P and would just put a clear coat of that over any artwork I have done then buff it up. Would this then not be suitable? - should I be using a sealant??:confused:

If it gives better results I would start using it and include it in my main price as I would want to produce long lasting nails every time.

I may have this wrong but I use L&P and would just put a clear coat of that over any artwork I have done then buff it up. Would this then not be suitable? - should I be using a sealant??:confused:

If it gives better results I would start using it and include it in my main price as I would want to produce long lasting nails every time.

its an option julia, you can use a sealent gel finish such as lechat protech or young nails finish, or a clear top coat as you are or buff manually to a high gloss shine.

in my opinion the gel top coat is the best option for the reasons i have stated. others may prefer different methods.

Thanks for that - thought I was missing something there :)

i use a finishing gel over all my enhancements. it is my choice. it makes those nails look better. it shows my work to its best advantage. it means i dont have to wait for top coat to dry or have to redo it if they smudge it. and it saves me a lot of buffing time and buffers. to me its a must, and part of the service not an optional extra. its to my advantage as much as or even more than the clients.
I totally agree with you on this one, I include it as part of the service, i did think about charging a separate fee at first but then just adjusted my prices accordingly to include it.:D

Hi Guys - this one has been bugging me for a while so who better to ask than the professionals! :green:

When i did my IHBC course we discussed pricelists & marketing (guidelines given by Bio Sculpture) and our tutor suggested several things that were in her view optional extras - such as executive base etc - and included sealant as one, although Bio has their topcoat which goes on at the end.

I'm interested to know whether you include a sealant - such as Ultra Seal or Glaze and Go - as part of your service or whether you offer it as an extra, cos i feel a little mean when i do!!

Your opinion is greatly appreciated. xx
Hi,
I have been putting Glaze 'n' go on at no extra charge, but I have now decided to charge £2 for it, as it is so exspensive, I need to charge for it. So now they can have a clear top coat at no extra charge. Good luck lotsa luv x :hug::hug:

I use Glaze 'N' Go & add into the price. You don't use that much each time, so over all I feel I won't come off anyworse by doing this. Some places to charge more for it but at what cost? Depends on how much your charging for the nail services etc..... also as to what works better for you!! As said above you could just increase the price of a set etc.... to include it without making a fuss of it being £2 more, that way clients don't feel put out!! :O)

It's interesting that some of you don't charge extra for the gel top coat.

Apart from the expense, I find that it takes longer to buff off the top coat when clients come back for a rebalance so my charge partly takes that into consideration. Whereas if a client just has a clear top coat there is little buffing required at maintenance time. So while it saves on buffing to a shine etc at the end of a service, I reckon it takes a bit longer at the beginning!

Anyone else find that or is it just me? :rolleyes::lol:

Latest posts

Back