Search Engine Optimisation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosey

Reaction score
Hi all,

We have recently had our website revamped with an online shop and are really pleased with it. However, we need to get it higher in the search engines. We have swapped a few links, and I wondered if anyone had paid for search engine optimisation? and if so did it work?

This is new to me and not sure if there are any other ways of boosting search engine results without going down the seo route?

Thanks

Oh hun don't pay for it, DIY. It's so easy and FREE. My site is already top of the search engines and it's only been going a few months. we are getting loads of new business from it already. The best thing you can do, which is what I did, is do a search for all threads created by a geek called Seanny. Now there are quite a few Har dee harhar ones in there (cos he's a funny guy!), but also there are quite a few about how to optimise your site. The instructions he gives are so clear that even a computer dork like me could do it, and it really wont take you more than an evening, if that!

Thanks Sassy, I will do a search and see what I can do! Someone else built the website and I can edit it (just the basic text). A lot of this website stuff goes straight over my head.:eek: I need to sit down with no distractions and get my head round it all! I have read before about meta tags and links - got reciprical links with some web sites but havent got a clue how to do anything with Meta tags (whatever they are). About time I learnt? :green:

Seanny reveals all - well not quite all. the main thing is to get some good reciprocal links going - this place is a good start, put a link in your signature and a link to here on your site. i think it's the only link I have. You can register with google. You need a certain amount of tect about yur salon on your main page ... and so on. But like i say, Seanny da man!

search engines are really interesting and Sass is 100% right search engines search on links - so the more you have (links that is) the more chance you will be at the top of a search page!

google for example was was co-founded by Larry Page and Sergey Brin while they were students at Stanford University and the company was first incorporated as a privately held company on September 7, 1998

It has millions of hits each day and employs approx 14,000 employees

This is a quote from Wikpedia

Google
Around 2001, the Google search engine rose to prominence. Its success was based in part on the concept of link popularity and PageRank. The number of other websites and webpages that link to a given page is taken into consideration with PageRank, on the premise that good or desirable pages are linked to more than others. The PageRank of linking pages and the number of links on these pages contribute to the PageRank of the linked page. This makes it possible for Google to order its results by how many websites link to each found page. Google's minimalist user interface is very popular with users, and has since spawned a number of imitators.
Google and most other web engines utilize not only PageRank but more than 150 criteria to determine relevancy.Sergey Brin and Lawrence Page. The Anatomy of a Large-Scale Hypertextual Web Search Engine. Stanford University. 1998. The algorithm "remembers" where it has been and indexes the number of cross-links and relates these into groupings. PageRank is based on citation analysis that was developed in the 1950s by Eugene Garfield at the University of Pennsylvania. Google's founders cite Garfield's work in their original paper. In this way virtual communities of webpages are found. Teoma's search technology uses a communities approach in its ranking algorithm. Nippon Electric Corporation|NEC Research Institute has worked on similar technology. Web link analysis was first developed by Jon Kleinberg and his team while working on the CLEVER project at IBM's Almaden Research Center. Google is currently the most popular search engine.

for the full info on search engines read this :green:

Search engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the links, I will get as much info as i can and set to work. I will find a quiet evening when the kids are in bed and see what i can do. I'll let you know my progress!

Latest posts

Back