Seasonal Marketing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verve Designs

TAFNO Extensionize
Reaction score
Thought I'd post up another article I've written again for my monthly newsletter- as some people might find it useful. I know there's a lot of theoretical marketing advice floating about, so I thought it might make sense to not only talk about the theory but have a bit of practicality in there too.

------------------------

Seasonal Marketing

Valentines Day is soon upon us- and while the un-romantic amongst us might groan (If my wife is reading this she’ll recognise that reaction!) – it’s a good time to point out the benefits of “seasonal marketing”.

“Special” days are dotted around the calendar- and in the last edition of my newsletter I talked about planning ahead and creating a marketing plan, from the obvious Christmas season to the often ignored St George’s day. These are all days and occasions you can link up with to form your marketing activities.

In practical terms they’re a good device to tailor special offers around as a “hook”. (and, in my opinion, you should never lower your prices permanently- you should always use offers to gee along business). They can also keep your marketing materials looking fresh and relavent (for example- you could change the header on your website to include some pretty hearts on valentines day, or a pumpkin on Halloween), and remember that those things are reusable- it's going to be Valentines day every year!

For every theoretical column we write its always nice to get some practical advice. In our own salon for these special days we use point of sale devices (POS) to generate interest in any special offers we have devised. We design an A5 flyer which we print off (at home) using “cheap” photopaper- and then mount them in a Perspex display stand, which are available from places such as Staples on our reception desk.

The Benefits of Seasonal Marketing
1. Clients tend to spend more on services. People are more likely to spend more during seasonal celebrations, as well as purchase gift certificates or bring along a loved one for services.

2. Increased publicity. A seasonal promotion is an excellent opportunity to get press coverage for your business. Also, it's gives you an "excuse" to contact people- post the information on your website and social media outlets. You can make your event newsworthy by offering a contest for a free service- to a hardworking Mum for Mothers Day, for example.

3. Consistency. When you commit to a seasonal marketing campaign, your clients know what to expect from you. They will look forward to taking advantage of your Easter special each year, and they will become excited about the special bonuses and discounts you offer with each event.

4. A sense of urgency. By their very nature, seasons are temporary. Your clients know that the Valentine's Day special offers won't last until summer, and they will want to schedule their appointments right away to take advantage of the deal.

5. Predictability. Once you decide on your initial ideas, seasonal marketing doesn't require much inventiveness. You can reuse the basic themes for each promotion from year to year. This makes it easier to plan your marketing calendar in advance.

6. Increased referrals. A seasonal marketing strategy is a great way to attract new clients via referrals. Linking promotions and discounts to a special event or holiday is sure to generate some buzz about your practice. Satisfied clients will be happy to tell their friends and loved ones about a great experience with you.

If you've decided to start your own seasonal marketing campaign, here are some suggestions:

• Plan ahead. You need to create your marketing campaign well in advance of each event. Look at your calendar and note each major holiday. Brainstorm ways you can link your services to each event. Consider what discounts or specials you will run during that time, and think about the best ways to publicise your message.

• Be creative. Don't just stop at the major, well-known holidays and seasons; of course, you will want to include Christmas discounts and New Year's resolution specials in your campaign. But also consider not-so-typical events like Wimbledone and other sporting events, as well as birthdays and anniversaries. Approaching seasonal marketing with ideas unique to your business will help you stand out.

• Be prepared. Create a reverse timeline by working backward from the date of the holiday or season. Order business cards and postcards to give to customers, and print enough flyers to distribute. Give yourself some flexibility, so you will have enough time to gather the materials you need.

• Launch timely campaigns. Don't launch seasonal campaigns before the beginning of the season. Your clients may get turned off by seeing winter promotions in the heat of summer. You want to plan enough time to keep yourself in your clients' minds, but not so much time that they forget what you have to offer.

Creating a seasonal marketing strategy is a recommended step in building a successful marketing campaign. With a little creativity and careful planning, you can take advantage of natural life cycles to capture new clients and keep your current clients coming back

Brill! Thankyou very much :)

Excellent. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing will be cracking on with this ;)

Good advice xx

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

This is excellent thank you!
Do u have any ideas of a promotion for a hairdressers and babers to coinside with Olympics and euro 2012?

Great ideas and advice, thank you! Perfect timing as I'm trying to do up my business and marketing plans.

Latest posts

Back