Seborrheic eczema client after having extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmLou3003

Reaction score
I did a ladies extensions on Wednesday of last week, i text her a few times just to see how she was getting on and she was never getting back in touch. Today she has just text me to say she hasn't been getting on with them that well, she said her scalp has been really red and sore and a bit scaly. She has been to the doctors and she has now got Seborrheic Eczema! She has been prescribed some cream for dermatitis for the time being and her doctor has advised her to take them out for a while. He said that basically the weight of the hair is pulling on the follicle and its producing too much oil. She said its nothing to do with the application.

I ordered 150g of hair for her and didnt even use it all, she has medium to thick hair.

This was only my third set of extensions so I feel really bad. She did fill in a client consultation form and didn't say she had any issues with skin or scalp so I am covered, I just feel really awful about it! I have said to her to come over and I will take them out. She hasn't even had them in a week. When she was having them done she said they didn't even feel heavy or weighty.

Has anyone else had this happen before? x

Has she washed and rinsed them correctly?

If she still has products on her scalp from improper rinsing then that might have brought a previously unknown problem to light.

If she still has products on her scalp from improper rinsing then that might have brought a previously unknown problem to light.
I am in contact with her now. I am unsure when she washed them. She said it had happened years ago when she got sunburnt. I feel awful for her but she said its nothing to do with me. She has said when it has all healed she is thinking about having them in again - what do you think? I feel like if it has happened once, it is going to happen again, but she has paid all this money. x

You might not be covered to fit them now you know of the issue, I would check with your insurance company and explain exactly what's happened.

You might not be covered to fit them now you know of the issue, I would check with your insurance company and explain exactly what's happened.
Ok thank you I will do.

You could fit a few in a hidden area as a tester in the future see if it flares up again such a shame but not your fault so don't feel bad

I agree with 'Hairygeek', it could be improper rinsing.
I have scalp irritation(eczema), which 'flare's up' from time to time if my hair is not rinsed enough.

I agree with 'Hairygeek', it could be improper rinsing.
I have scalp irritation(eczema), which 'flare's up' from time to time if my hair is not rinsed enough.
I had a client complain a few years ago, the advice o got was the hair colour on the extensions might cause a reaction of she's slightly allergic

Thanks everyone. I have emailed my insurers and they have said the same thing as I did to her, if she wants them back in, I would need a letter from her GP. I will find out a little bit more info about how she washed them though. I know I spend a good 15 minutes on my hair in the shower. Thing is, she also told me she washes her hair everyday, do you think this could be a reason also? I told her to try and not wash her hair every day, but wash the T section where the hair is extension free. Could it be a reaction to her not washing it as regularly?

Latest posts

Back