Seche Base contains chemicals that can cause birth defects?!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fificharlie

Reaction score
Ok - I'm really hoping someone can tell me their views on this -

I am sitting here this very minute painting my nails.....using 'Seche Base'....happened to glance at the back of the bottle, only to read:

'WARNING! This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm'

Now, I know they HAVE to list these type of things, but I have never seen it on the back of any of my other bottles.

Can anyone explain this and wether it would actually cause harm? I have a pregnant client in on sat 28th!!:cry: pooping it as I just wouldnt even think of using it now!!

Would you continue to use a product if you saw this warning on the back??

Ok - I'm really hoping someone can tell me their views on this -

I am sitting here this very minute painting my nails.....using 'Seche Base'....happened to glance at the back of the bottle, only to read:

'WARNING! This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm'

Now, I know they HAVE to list these type of things, but I have never seen it on the back of any of my other bottles.

Can anyone explain this and wether it would actually cause harm? I have a pregnant client in on sat 28th!!:cry: pooping it as I just wouldnt even think of using it now!!

Would you continue to use a product if you saw this warning on the back??
I would be rather concerned too. Could you contact the company for more info?

just found this....Formaldehyde, Toluene, and Dibutyl Phalate - Some of these chemicals are hard to avoid in the nail industry and so you try and at least keep them to a minimum. Many nail strengtheners have Formaldehyde which make your nails stronger for a while, but then start to make them brittle. Toluene's harm is still argued about, but best to be safe. DB is the most hazardous and has been known to cause Liver and Kidney damage as well as possible birth defects. Most nail polish lines have at least one, two or all three of these chemicals in them. They are at "safe" amounts, but in the case of DB, which is also found in most hair, skincare, perfumes and cosmetics, you could be getting an over-load. I say if you can avoid it, then do. Some nail lines I know don't carry any of these chemicals are: Seche, Urban Decay, and SpaRitual and now CND.

from this site....Hamptons Online - Guide to the Hamptons and East End of Long Island

all i can seem to find on it...

Last edited by a moderator:
just found this....Formaldehyde, Toluene, and Dibutyl Phalate - Some of these chemicals are hard to avoid in the nail industry and so you try and at least keep them to a minimum. Many nail strengtheners have Formaldehyde which make your nails stronger for a while, but then start to make them brittle. Toluene's harm is still argued about, but best to be safe. DB is the most hazardous and has been known to cause Liver and Kidney damage as well as possible birth defects. Most nail polish lines have at least one, two or all three of these chemicals in them. They are at "safe" amounts, but in the case of DB, which is also found in most hair, skincare, perfumes and cosmetics, you could be getting an over-load. I say if you can avoid it, then do. Some nail lines I know don't carry any of these chemicals are: Seche, Urban Decay, and SpaRitual.

from this site....Hamptons Online - Guide to the Hamptons and East End of Long Island

all i can seem to find on it...

Thanks Angie,

That article says the brands that dont contain it are seche, but on the bottle it says it does!!

Off a hunting I go for more info!!!

You do not need to be concerned that any of this chemical will enter the bloodstream of a client (pregnant or not) as you will be applying it to a nailplate which is not living and not connected to a blood supply.

Warnings are for information and for you to act with knowledge and understanding of products. Not to cause you panic or angst.

You will also find the California is really really really overly anal about chemicals.
I mean REALLY paranoid about them..which can be a good thing but also can cause undue panic.

oddly enough in California you may find the same warning on a packet of artificial sweetener. !!!!!!

The same info is printed on the label of Seche Vite too, btw.

Today I have seen a number of geeks looking at this old thread. I thought it would be interesting to hear some common sense from the man who KNOWS .. Doug Schoon

#1 — Are Chemicals Killing Us? — June 2009

Are Chemicals Killing Us? Toxicologists Believe Media Overstates Risks

Can you believe the news media when they tell us that every day we are being poisoned by chemicals we routinely used to improve our lives? No we can't, according to a survey of 937 members of the Society of Toxicology (SOT). This survey of toxicology professionals found that the public doesn't get a full and balanced picture of chemical risks. For instance, these knowledgeable experts overwhelmingly reject the notion that exposure to even the smallest amounts of harmful chemicals is dangerous or that the detection of any level of a chemical in your body indicates a significant health risk. And they are nearly unanimous in rejecting the notion that “organic” or “natural” products are inherently safer than others. Here are some other interesting facts that came out of this survey.
click to read more of this article

74% believe that cosmetics do not pose a significant health risk.
90% believe “organic or natural” products are NOT inherently safer.
Only 77% believe the US regulatory system is NOT inferior to Europe's.
89% do NOT believe that “phthalates” are a high risk.
97% think “Teflon” should NOT be rated as a high risk.
91% believe “biphenol A” (BPA) should NOT be rated as a high risk.
97% feel “parabens” should NOT be rated as a high risk.
96% believe “triclosan” should NOT be rated as a high risk.
Only 14% rate “formaldehyde gas” as a high risk.
Only 6% believe that any exposure to harmful chemical is unacceptable.
96% say that Greenpeace overstates the health risk of chemicals.
80% said the Environmental Defense Fund overstates chemical risk.
79% say the Environmental Working Group (EWG) overstates risks.
80% say PETA overstates risks.
90% say media coverage of risks lacks balance and diversity.
74% believe the news media pays too much attention to individual studies rather than examining the overall evidence.
73% believe the media pays too much attention to individual scientists rather than what the scientific community believes as a whole.
68% believe the news media pays too much attention to studies put out by environmental groups.
80% believe that leading national newspapers, magazines and television networks overstate chemical risk.
97% say the media doesn't distinguish between good studies and bad studies.

WebMD is the only news source rated as accurate by the majority of toxicologists.

What’s the take-home message? “Lousy studies make the news” according to one of the authors. Don’t rely on activists or the media to tell the truth about chemical risks. Schoon Scientific believes that consumer advocacy groups and news media are doing a very poor job and NOT providing the public with truthful information, but instead are exaggerating and distorting supposed chemical dangers and causing irrational fear, confusion and unfounded concerns.

Latest posts

Back