Secrecy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosiedrew

Reaction score
I work as a hairdresser and a beautician.

I find hairdressers that are on groups such as this, will share their knowledge. But, on the beauty side it isn’t always the case?

Anyone else feel the same? Thanks

Yep totally agreed. I’ve been refused countless times by nails girls who won’t do my nails because they do them too. So strange xx

I don't think there are too many hairdressers setting up mobile or working from home or chair renting businesses that have been on a couple of one day courses and then learnt on clients by trial and error?

All the hairdressirs that I have met have been through college or an apprenticeship. I've heard of girls who didn't complete training going mobile or WFH but from clients you tell me "this is why she's cheap" and they know there's a difference in knowledge and standard of service. These ladies mostly do trims, kids and same same regulars.

In beauty there is a lot of professional jealousy because frankly why should we share knowledge that we've spent years and ££££'s acquiring with someone who doesn't feel that they need to learn and will just set up in competition - there isn't the professional courtesy or respect, small wonder we're resentful.

Alanya I expect the reason you can't get anyone to do your nails is that you are better trained and more expert than your nail tech clients and they feel defensive, suspicious and insecure. I'm actually banned from a hair salon with a self employed beauty therapist - her landlord doesn't want me speaking to her or setting foot on his premises.

I always want to help out on here when someone is struggling with beauty but I often get random people messaging my instagram that don’t even know me or emailing me asking me for advice. Mostly about newly trained in need help with lash lifting. I have a problem with that. I’m not going to jeopardise my business and good name giving out advice when aim not insured as a trainer. I have to tell them ‘ask your trainer’ constantly, they can’t get very rude. If they don’t know what they are doing then they shouldn’t have passed and need to go back. If they messed up it would be my fault. If they had met me or taken me out for a coffee and picked my brain i’d be less defensive. But why would i waste time helping others that can’t be bothered to learn in the first place.

On here it’s more of a general...hints and tips kind of thing, no liability there. I like sharing my experiences and helping. It’s more of a community. We help each other, give and take. Everyone seems to be NICE and not out for themselves!

I also have a nightmare getting my nails done, have to go to the discount salon (once a year or not at all I darent be seen, only for a special occasion where i’ve not time to do my own acrylics). Because it’s like everyone looks me up and then makes something up like accidentally double booking me or being ill. They are probably the same ones pestering me for advice hahaaa.

I don't think there are too many hairdressers setting up mobile or working from home or chair renting businesses that have been on a couple of one day courses and then learnt on clients by trial and error?

All the hairdressirs that I have met have been through college or an apprenticeship. I've heard of girls who didn't complete training going mobile or WFH but from clients you tell me "this is why she's cheap" and they know there's a difference in knowledge and standard of service. These ladies mostly do trims, kids and same same regulars.

In beauty there is a lot of professional jealousy because frankly why should we share knowledge that we've spent years and ££££'s acquiring with someone who doesn't feel that they need to learn and will just set up in competition - there isn't the professional courtesy or respect, small wonder we're resentful.

Alanya I expect the reason you can't get anyone to do your nails is that you are better trained and more expert than your nail tech clients and they feel defensive, suspicious and insecure. I'm actually banned from a hair salon with a self employed beauty therapist - her landlord doesn't want me speaking to her or setting foot on his premises.

All valid points. It’s such a shame I think as I love talking to other therapists xx

Latest posts

Back