Sectioning advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grace_Hair

Reaction score
I have a friend/client who wants the following colours.

She's probably a coloured but faded 4/5 (in all honesty I can't remember) but she throws out a lot of warmth.

I was going to use a colour remover first then balayage, but within foil, to help lift up.

I was thinking olaplex and 30vol smudged into 20vol at back then 40 and 30 at front.

I would usually do 3 sections. From crown to ears. Then almost brick work the back section. What are your thoughts. Here are all the pictures...

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1445874018.192065.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1445874032.580942.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1445874043.470859.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1445874053.236389.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1445874067.600340.jpg

Last picture the client likes silver, gold and beige.

I also do my freehand techniques in 3 sections. I use their natural or most worn parting as the first division, then from ear to ear. What do you mean with smudging 30 vol into 20 vol? To get a blend? By the time you have finished everything it probably has lifted all to the same level. But that depends on the lightener and your speed of application.

Yeah smudging/blending. I'm not massively experienced at balayage and freehand so I figured having the higher peroxide blend into the lower one will help get an easier blend?

The times I've done it before, it takes me approx an hour?

I've heard about a Mohawk section (which I think Ash Fortis has used quite a bit) but can't find a video or sectioning pattern for it?)

Yeah smudging/blending. I'm not massively experienced at balayage and freehand so I figured having the higher peroxide blend into the lower one will help get an easier blend?

The times I've done it before, it takes me approx an hour?

I've heard about a Mohawk section (which I think Ash Fortis has used quite a bit) but can't find a video or sectioning pattern for it?)

Tori, watch some Candy Shaw tutorials on youtube.

In our salon we only have one hour for cut (we cut dry) and highlights/balayages. So most of the times I cut for 20mins and balayage for 40mins. Sometimes only 20mins if it is just a retouch. With our lightener I usually use 30vol and remix after I get to my 3rd section but I don't up the developer as it reacts differently. 20 vol does hardly lift higher than a level 7/8 and 40 vol can result in overprocessed or blotchy results as it swells more. But that depends on your lightener and application method/how much cotton or cling film you're using.

I've given myself loads of time. In case it doesn't lift etc.

I don't usually up my peroxide with olaplex, would you on this occasion ifs it's open air painting?

I'd be using L'Oreal studio freehand

Latest posts

Back