Seeking advice - product/education, etc

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa82

Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is a long one but I hope you can offer some advice

I'm in the US and don't have access to the best schooling. I'll be graduated at the end of January and should have my license early February (after I pass my exam). I have not been educated on a specific product line. I've pretty much been given a recorded dvd for IBD gels and OPI Clarite (can't use traditional liquid in schools here). I managed to get the school to purchase some better quality gels and they choose Light Elegance (again, training with a short dvd set). I have used Nailite's Omega L&P line at home. I'm not able to find any companies that can offer me education. Trade shows are some time away (there is one in January in California but I cannot afford to go).

Long story to make a longer story short, I wasn't in this financial predicament until a month ago when I found out my husband was getting laid off (this was after we moved here 7 months ago. He just got out of the army and we found a job here across the country. Now he is going to school starting in January so finances are super iffy and tight). I was planning on traveling to California and do some courses at Young Nails but it's just not possible now. I've been working my butt off doing nothing but studying nails online since I started my schooling in September. I literally eat, sleep and breath nails, lol. I've had the chance to shadow a couple of times with tech's that are a couple hours away but that is also taking a toll on my wallet.

It takes me about 2/5-3 hours to do a set right now. Mainly because I'm doing it on students nails at school that are in rough condition, they are nail bitters or they can't make their mind up about length (I spent an hour filing this one girls nail down because she misjudge how long she wanted them). I don't have e-file training as it is not legal to train in the schools here.

How am I going to make it? What should I do? I don't want to stop doing nails when I'm done school. I need to keep at it to speed up my times and I just love doing nails! I'm not sure what to do about product. I'm told to stick with one brand but I have not been thoroughly trained in any! I was advised not to tell a salon that I'm new but how can I explain why I take so long to do a set?

:|

Last edited:
I feel your pain but you will make it. I've noticed your posts and you have asked some good questions and have given some good answers. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders. My advice.
First get a good product and stick to it. I suggest CND for everything. Call 1.800.833.NAIL. Maybe you could at least find someone from CND that does one on one in your area.
I believe you have felt like this before and posted. I remember advising that you should master Shellac first so you can start earning some money right away. By becoming good with Shellac it will give you confidence and give you valuable experience in pleasing and dealing with clients. You'll make money and build clientele and can save for a gel class or some more one on one. Then start adding more services like hard gel and and l&p. Just one at a time. I know it's hard not to want to learn everything nails all at once but you sound like you need to hit the floor running. Good luck, luv :)

Thank you so much for your reply. I did try getting a hold of CND but with no luck at that time. The educator was not available as well. I did just find out about 20 min ago that I can shadow with a CND educator on the 27th for the whole day. In the end, it will be 4 hours of driving but I can finally see what CND is all about. I'm still on the fence about them, so we'll see how it goes. I think, realistically, CND would be the best bet for me right now because it seems like it's the most reputable and accessible product. I do like the look of Akzentz (and their glitters, oh my, they are nice) but have no experience with it yet. I just got a sample bottle of it yesterday (I shadowed with an educator yesterday and 2 weeks ago that is about 1.5 hrs from here). It's just hard to decide on a product when I'm such a newby with no real training.

Hello I too live in the states. I understand what you are going trough. schools here are no good at all especially for us nail techs. Personally, I wouldn't struggle too much because you can start slow and little by little youll get faster. I have been doing nails for 2 years and do not do acrylics, it took me a looong time. the salons I worked for were ok for me not doing acrylics. I am not artistic at all either. :)

surprisingly ALOT OF people do not like the acrylics or art at the places I worked so I am ok . of course it depends on the salon you work for. I am doing shellac power polish. Shellac is very popular nowadays. alot of my clients do not want acrylics they are happy with shellac.

If you love nails then the salon you work for will help and train you in their line. I use shellac and opi mani pedi polishes. I personally do not like the cnd polishes.

I am open to learn acrylics but would prefer gel.... I think I would go for cnd since I can go to their website and take their courses. I am sure opi has courses too.

my suggestion would be to experiment with as many brands as you like and stick to the one you like. If you work for the salon the salon will train you on their product.

we all like different brands some people like cnd polishes other essie others china glace and others opi. (the most popular here in the states)

I feel your pain but you will make it. I've noticed your posts and you have asked some good questions and have given some good answers. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders. My advice.
First get a good product and stick to it. I suggest CND for everything. Call 1.800.833.NAIL. Maybe you could at least find someone from CND that does one on one in your area.
I believe you have felt like this before and posted. I remember advising that you should master Shellac first so you can start earning some money right away. By becoming good with Shellac it will give you confidence and give you valuable experience in pleasing and dealing with clients. You'll make money and build clientele and can save for a gel class or some more one on one. Then start adding more services like hard gel and and l&p. Just one at a time. I know it's hard not to want to learn everything nails all at once but you sound like you need to hit the floor running. Good luck, luv :)

I think this is excellent advice. This is exactly what I am doing. I'm waiting for the beauty show in February to purchase my Shellac kit and do the training. I plan on starting off offering Shellac and saving up to then train with CND for l&p enhancements. Money is tight right now for my family so unfortunately it's going to take awhile but I want to make sure I have excellent training and be confident in what I am doing. Good luck with everything and I hope you have a Merry Christmas. :)

You have been given excellent advice here: CND Shellac makes up the vast majority of my diary - it's so popular that it sells itself and is what keeps my business turning over. CND Shellac gets clients coming through your door, so get your Shellac practitioner certificate and use CND Shellac to earn your money, practice your other skills in the background, and once you've saved up enough you'll be able to get yourself on some more enhancements training. xx

I don't know... Shellac is boring to me, lol. I see all the awesome glitters with Light Elegance and Akzentz and they seem more my style.

I don't know... Shellac is boring to me, lol. I see all the awesome glitters with Light Elegance and Akzentz and they seem more my style.

I mean no disrespect however its really not about you!. Boring or not!

I am no real fan of the Natural French Manicure, however you are choosing a SERVICE industry and there fore need to remember that your there to sercive someone (clients) who may like that.

My suggestion is that is how you look at. Then and only then can you pop in a white konad stamped flower on that white tip back ground and hope that maybe next time she will allow the leaves to be stamped green ha!

I have to agree with Tip Toe Nails

But also hw can you call Shellac boring, the art you can do with it has no end, from glitter, to designs, to colours and additives, so much you can do, boring is one word I wouldn't have thought could be used with it.

I can sit for hours making up designs, layering colours and carving out.

Once you go n the courses you will soon realise :)

We will see I guess. I have shadowed with two woman who use Young Nails and Akzentz and do nothing but glittery, more out there designs. I will make sure to play around and experiment though before I make any more conclusions. ;)

I recommended CND because of the training should be more available to you. I use YN and very happy with them. Do they offer training in your area?

Soooo.....

I did my shadowing today and it was awesome! I take back what I said about Shellac, it's not boring, lol. She showed me how to use additives and other things along with it. I got a bagful of goodies that I'm excited to try out. :) Just looks like I'm going to be a CND girl. ;)

You've done a great job researching. You are on the way!

Thanks, I just love the science behind enhancements and CND has proved to me how they excel above the rest. That and the generosity and kindness of their educator has greatly influenced to make my decision. I've shadowed with 3 tech's so far and each has a different opinion about every product. I found that I sometimes came back with some of their viewpoints but had to take time to figure out what was best for me, what my goals were with my product and how to achieve them. So far, it seems CND is the winner in my book. Although I don't agree with all of their marketing and other things, they still speak loads to me in comparison to other brands and I always get a thorough, accurate explanation when I have a question about something.

For example, I asked a company twice how much their hand piece weighed on their e-file, and every time I get a different answer. First 2oz, now .5oz. Really? Come on! They totally lost me as any kind of customer after that!

Latest posts

Back