Self assessment - How to write out Paper accounts?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankie91

Reaction score
Hello geeks.

I am after a bit of help regarding my yearly self assessment. I will be doing this online but obviously need to record my accounts on paper - i have been bad and not recorded it weekly - basically because I am not sure how to lay it out?

What paper or book do you record your accounts in to show the whole year?
Which shop do you buy your paper or account book from to write them up in?
How many columns will i need?
Titles of columns etc?
I just don't know where to start!

Could any of you attach a picture of how your paper accounts look?

In need of some real help! Thank you! X x

Sent from my GT-I5800 using SalonGeek

I am about to go self employed and this same question is worrying me so I'd be very interested too!

Sorry I'm no help!

There is an accounts book called "simplex D accounts book" my local newsagent stocks them but they can be bought online. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Simplex-SIMPLEX-D-ACCOUNT-BOOK/dp/B000TK13OI

They are very easy to follow.

I do mine on excel, I purchased a workbook which was basically the same as the simplex D accounts book. I'm used to it as I've been book keeping for my dad for the last 9 years.

X

http://www.excel-it.com/simplexd.htm

This is where I bought my excel version. You save it, open p and set up tax year then "save as" so you always have a copy and never need to buy it, or a paper version again.

X

I have just learnt it too and I have bought a book that looks like spread sheets , it's a Collins book .
My friend learnt me how to do it all and add it all up and ur away .
Basically you need to put in ur first Column ur earnings and going outs , I'll post a pic on what I do ;0)
It's so easy ;0) ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1336377324.411416.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1336377350.291045.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1336377350.291045.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 219
Everytime I finish work now I just write everything in my book then I don't forget and it's fresh in my mind , and doesn't all build up ;0)

Thank you all so much for your help! Just still a bit confused about columns

I have just learnt it too and I have bought a book that looks like spread sheets , it's a Collins book .
My friend learnt me how to do it all and add it all up and ur away .
Basically you need to put in ur first Column ur earnings and going outs , I'll post a pic on what I do ;0)
It's so easy ;0) View attachment 14830

Thank you for putting this photo on! So do you put your expenses and earnings from treatments all together?
Under the description, what do you put for treatments? Do you write 'luxury Pedicure, brow wax' and write the amount of money from that treatment session under the earnings column?

Do you do a monthly double page?

Thanks

There is an accounts book called "simplex D accounts book" my local newsagent stocks them but they can be bought online. SIMPLEX D ACCOUNT BOOK: Amazon.co.uk: Office Products

I use the Simplex D Accounts book from Staples, and have been for the last 20 years, it's really easy to follow and self explanatory, now I've got a salon and employees am thinking of getting Sage but the simplex d is great

I was thinking about moving to sage but have no idea about it, that's why I bought the excel version :)

Last edited:
I dont write any treatment I just write down my earnings from the full day all together , and put it under earnings , and if I have any out going expenses I write it under the other column , at the end of the month it all adds together ,
Sorry it's a little confusing x

I use a note pad, write the date on the top, three columns, in, out and total.

I use a note pad, write the date on the top, three columns, in, out and total.

Like a table? Date down the side, in the out column do you just put if you have bought something? Receipts in the out column i mean. I work from home so would just need to put earnings from treatments, cost of items bought and total. I understand it all just can't decide what i need to buy to write it all up and and what layout to use! Sorry, i probably sound thick!

Like a table? Date down the side, in the out column do you just put if you have bought something? Receipts in the out column i mean. I work from home so would just need to put earnings from treatments, cost of items bought and total. I understand it all just can't decide what i need to buy to write it all up and and what layout to use! Sorry, i probably sound thick!

Yes just like that. It's so simple. I have an accountant and he showed me to do it this. I staple the receipts to the tip of that days page

Latest posts

Back