Self Emloyment question!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlabarbie

Reaction score
Right. I know I can ask the IR all these things but I would really like a nice, simple answer in plain English so I thought I would ask the Geeks first:green:

I am starting in a salon next week, as a self employed nail tech, paying rent.

But I have also had quite a bit of interest from clients who cant come to the salon (its in a village, but I know people from all over my area, IYSWIM) and they would like me to come to their house or they come to my house.

So, I will obviously register self employed anyway, but, do I have to register myself as a business as well if I want to do mobile in addition to renting in a salon?

Or am I just self employed full stop, and that covers both?

Very confused.

Thanks in advance:hug:

You are self employed full stop. It dosen't make a difference if you are mobile or in a salon.

You are self employed. However, do tell the IR about working from home as well as in a salon and you should be able to get relief for space used at home as well as electricity etc...

Andy works on the market but I do all the buying, accounts etc at home and our accountant gets relief for this in our tax return.

Why not take advantage of all the workshops that the IR offer - they are free and very useful. And get yourself an accountant as they can save you some tax by knowing what you can claim for and what you cant!

I agree accept get a CPA not just an Accountant. My CPA does all of my and my Hubbys taxes...I'm self employed plus I rent space to others, add my husbands income and our household. There is no way I can keep up on tax law and for $250 (some of which I can write off) gets me a CPA Signature on my taxes. It's worth it. :green:

Sorry Sophiea Carla Barbie and all the other geeks that have posted on this thread are from the UK and I presume most are like me and dont have a clue what a CPA is, and if it is relevant here in the UK.

Thanks everyone for the advice, its all a bit confusing so yes I will get myself on one of the courses, so I know what I'm doing.

Glad to hear that I dont have to register myself as 2 things!:green:

To register as being self employed is really easy, just nip along to your tax office and get a self employment form, they are so simple to fill not alot of questions on there, from that you will be registered with the tax and national insurance, you can be a business and self employed, if you want to give your a name for your business do so it makes no difference really,I feel it would be better to give yourself a business name, get business cards, advertise etc, it would just make it alittle easier, when starting my business i went along to business link who where fantastic, lots of course ranging from is self employment right for you to getting the price right, they also have a web site i do not know the address but if you key in business link into a search engine you will find it, good luck.
Thanks everyone for the advice, its all a bit confusing so yes I will get myself on one of the courses, so I know what I'm doing.

Glad to hear that I dont have to register myself as 2 things!:green:

Sorry Sophiea Carla Barbie and all the other geeks that have posted on this thread are from the UK and I presume most are like me and dont have a clue what a CPA is, and if it is relevant here in the UK.

CPA is a Certified Public Accountant.

This person is one or more steps up the ladder than a tax accountant. Most larger business's use a CPA instead of a accountant. They charge twice as much also.

And truthfully, by reading these posts from the UK peeps, You guys are not that much different than the USA.

HTH's

Thank You JD,

oey...uuuummmm ok so what ever~!:zzz:

Thank You JD,

NOt quite sure whatever you mean by this comment but please understand that if you are talking to people in another country that you need to avoid using intitials as many will not understand what it means.

Thank You JD,

I think this comment is extremely rude Sophiea,Oey merely asked a simple question.

Why do you need to take this attitude?
It is extremely unpleasant for no reason.
Do you speak to everyone like this ?
You'll make no friends here with that approach.

Your all right ... it was a snippy reply, I apologize oey.

Your all right ... it was a snippy reply, I apologize oey.

Thanks for the apology Sophie.

this site is a great place to be but we (including me) need to think how our posts can offend others.

Latest posts

Back