Self employed and employed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carron

Reaction score
Hi
I'm so confused as to what to do and was wondering if anyone is in the same situation.

I work self employed as a beatucian and my hours vary from a full day to a couple of full days a week.

I'm also employed by the NHS for 7.5 hrs a week but normally do more when holidays need covered and shortages.

However i contacted my accountant about my situation and she said my NHS job is classed as my main job which i was shocked at so i cant apply for anything

Then as im a single parent i get tax credits as i work between 16 to 25 hrs a week. Which i can no longer do as we've all shut down our businesses. So I'm just doing 7.5hrs a week now at my employed job. All phone lines just seem to be constantly busy so I'm getting no answers

Where do I go from here?

Carron, really feel for you.

The rules are that more than 50% of your income for the tax year ending 6 April 2019 need to have come from self employed. So I think your accountant is saying that wasn’t the case so you’re not eligible for the self employment coronavirus support. You should check this.

Your options are to go for universal credit or try to get more hours with the NHS.

Ahh that makes sense. The last 2 years I've moved premises, done them up, then done a lot of courses to add on to my business so just broke even so that will be why

As far as i understand it, it depends also on whether u pay yourself for your beautician work, through paye or self assessment. If you pay yourself by paye then u can furlough yourself and still have your other job in nhs.

Latest posts

Back