Self employed and on Jobseekers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautyw

Reaction score
hi guys

i was self employed for 3 years and had to give up in march as business was slow. i am now on jobseekers and can't get a job anywhere. i was wondering if i start my business from scratch again as mobile can i still be on jobseekers?

the thing is i would be starting from complete scratch as the room where i was renting the new girl took all my clients, so i don't even know if i will have clients, this is just an idea. for example, if i have 2 clients one week for nails which i charge £40 and maybe no more clients until 2 weeks later, that isnt a good income and probably would be better on jobseekers but i want to build this up again, i hope you understand what im trying to ask here thanks

No you can't, you would have to register as self employed with HMRC, and you can't be self employed and unemployed at the same time!

Have a chat with your job centre staff as there is a grant available if you want to go self employed and they will also advise you what other help, such as tax credits, housing and council tax benefits you would be entitled to.

You may be entitled to income support if your income is low, worth speaking to citizens advice as they are great

I don't think you have to pay tax though of you earn under a certain amount.. Is that right? :S

I don't think you have to pay tax though of you earn under a certain amount.. Is that right? :S
That's correct.

But no, as said, if you are registered as self employed then you cant be on Jobseekers as well.
x

hi guys

i was self employed for 3 years and had to give up in march as business was slow. i am now on jobseekers and can't get a job anywhere. i was wondering if i start my business from scratch again as mobile can i still be on jobseekers?

the thing is i would be starting from complete scratch as the room where i was renting the new girl took all my clients, so i don't even know if i will have clients, this is just an idea. for example, if i have 2 clients one week for nails which i charge £40 and maybe no more clients until 2 weeks later, that isnt a good income and probably would be better on jobseekers but i want to build this up again, i hope you understand what im trying to ask here thanks

You can apply for working tax credit and council/housing tax benefit, you will need to submit a self-employed projected income form..(each council has its own) you could also apply for an income support, not sure though how would that work with working tax credit, hope that helps.

You can be on jobseekers as long as you work less than 16 hours a week and are available for and actively seeking work. You get to keep the first £20 you earn after that it's deducted from your JSA.

Hiya :) I just signed on for job seekers and am registered self employed, as my business is taking longer to get going I need a part time job and they were really helpful about it all. Go in an see them :)
X

You CAN claim Jobseekers and be registered as self employed. The key is how many hours you "work" and whether you are still actively seeking work. As others have said, speak to your adviser, most are very helpful. As for the New Enterprise Allowance, you are only eligible for that once you have been on JSA for at least 26 weeks and if you have already started working on clients, your business already technically exists so you become intelligible I'm afraid. It is an allowance to help a business GET started, which, even if you've charged 1 client means you are already IN business.

Yes as mentioned above you can claim jobseekers if you work less than 16hrs, also if you have a partner you will not get anything has he will have to support you has you will not have enough national insurance credits.
Also correct 26 wks you will have to be on jobseekers to claim new enterprise allowances

I was going for the new enterprise allowance deal but then changed my mind.

Yes they pay you a weekly amount but after a certain number of weeks its cut in half, you do have to be credit checked for the loan which i think is mean.

I went with the shaw trust as they have business mentors mine is great, and i got small grant that i dont have to pay back.

I thought the grant was better then getting a loan, why get into debt when starting up, its going to be hard at first any way.

But get an appointment with an advisor at the job centre and tell them what you want you to, mine was a fab advisor, good luck x

They do pay jsa if you have a partner. Mine earns enough to pay all the bills but they still pay me jsa for things like getting to interviews.
X

I was about to recommend the same thing, you can sill sign for your stamp etc if you work less than 16 hours a week, your income from your business will be deducted from your benefit so you will have a little safety net until business improves.

Speak to your jobcentre and ask them if you can get started on the New Enterprise Scheme, I believe you must have been signing on for at least six months before you are eligible

Good luck, hopefully you will get something sorted out soon

I rang them this not this morning as I'm not qualified I want to advertise for clients to practise on and would be making a charge to cover costs and didn't want to be reported for benefit fraud. They were really helpful so just give them a ring.

As I'm doing only 1-2 sets a week working out at about 4 hours Andover charging a minimal fee it won't affect my benefits but I wanted to be sure and they took a note incase I was reported for benefit fraud.

you will have to register as self employed.
Depending on how many hours you work paid/unpaid will depend on jobsekkers allowance.

If you cant get jobseekers you may be entitled to housing /council tax benifit on a low income.
And you only pay tax if you earn over £7000 or some figure like that x

I am employed by a supermarket and have started up again mobile as an extra income. The £7000 limit before u have to pay tax does that include income from my other job too or just on what I earn as mobile?

Hi. Yes you can still claim Jobseekers and set up mobile as long as you declare your earnings and work less than 16hrs per week. Anything you earn per week will be deducted from your JSA. So, to use you're example, you've worked and earned £40.00 one week but nothing the week after, you declare when you "sign on" what you've earned and when they send your money it will be your JSA for the 2 weeks minus what you earned. You are better off discussing it with your local job centre when you next sign on xx

The first £5 is disregarded, unless you're a lone parent the it's £20.

I am on jsa and selkf employed it can be done providing u work under 16 hrs and u decalre everything u earn !

Latest posts

Back