Self employed as second income

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilypie

Reaction score
Sorry if this had been asked before, have searched but no joy.

I am employed via a large organisation for my day job and want to be part self employed for mobile work for evenings and weekends. Neither beauty or my main job are anything alike, so no risk of poaching clients etc.

Our work like you to gain permission to take a second employed job but no one seems to know what the rules are for self employment alongside main job. I would complete tax returns etc and declare everything but do you know whether my employer can legally object to this? I'm on maternity and am worried they could make things tricky for my return
Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm not sure the full in's and out's. This is something I would normally ask my accountant but you could try HMRC?

From my limited knowledge as you would be self employed you would have to do self assessment as you know but pay 20% tax on your main job as it would be classed as a second job.

I'm sure there's ways around it and I'm hoping someone could advise a bit better.

Sorry if this had been asked before, have searched but no joy.

I am employed via a large organisation for my day job and want to be part self employed for mobile work for evenings and weekends. Neither beauty or my main job are anything alike, so no risk of poaching clients etc.

Our work like you to gain permission to take a second employed job but no one seems to know what the rules are for self employment alongside main job. I would complete tax returns etc and declare everything but do you know whether my employer can legally object to this? I'm on maternity and am worried they could make things tricky for my return
Thanks

Ok so don't quote me but I'm pretty sure there are rules against working while claiming maternity leave are you going to wait until your maternity leave ends?

Last edited:
Ok so don't quote me but I'm pretty sure there are definite rules against working while claiming maternity leave are you going to wait until your maternity leave ends?

I am an employer and it is legal for employees on maternity leave to work elsewhere.

I am an employer and it is legal for employees on maternity leave to work elsewhere.

Ok well I'm sure my old job (local authority) had a clause in the maternity policy which stopped that! But I may be mistaken. Just double check your contract?!

I did this when I used to work in an office.

I contacted the Hr department, they were sure there would be no problems as my self employment was in no way related to my employment, but they asked me to sign a 'conflict of interest delcaration ' form. ( or something like that ) Basically I had to sign to say I wouldn't nick their clients.

Yes thanks. I've checked that aspect and if I earn money while still receiving stat mat pay, it would cease immediately which is fine as I'm due back in a couple of months anyway so it wouldn't be that much to lose out on. Plus, if I was an emoloyer, I'd be pretty pee'd off paying maternity and finding out the employee had been earning.

Thanks for the advice given. I'm not sure HMRC could advise me whether my employer could object or not, I was thinking it would be more of an employment law query? I want to do things properly but the company I work for is so big, with so many business areas that HR tell you it's down to your manager's discretion!

Most employment contracts just say you can't work in competition and you must dedicate your whole time and attention to your job whilst at work. Basically it's non of their business what you do in the evenings or weekends. It's also non of their business what your tax affairs are beyond the paye that they deduct

Most employment contracts just say you can't work in competition and you must dedicate your whole time and attention to your job whilst at work. Basically it's non of their business what you do in the evenings or weekends. It's also non of their business what your tax affairs are beyond the paye that they deduct

Excellent, thank you. My day job has absolutely nothing to do with this industry at all so no worries there. Come to think of it, I actually trained while working there and had to change my working pattern whilst I took my qualifications and exams so work already know about it (albeit a few years ago and the managers have now changed)

No problem :)
I'm in a similar position myself

As long as you don’t carry out your business in work time (ie don’t take calls/emails/texts etc from clients) most employers don’t have an issue with it if the industry is entirely separate. And if you ask around, often lower-paid members of staff have second jobs anyway, working in pubs and so on. However, it is still worth being upfront about what you are doing – they’ll appreciate your honesty AND you might gain a few extra clients along the way.

Call HMRC and register as self-employed. In my first year of self-employment, I didn’t earn very much and paid tax due via my PAYE earnings at work. It gets a bit messy if you do that tbh, so I don’t do it anymore, and keep both separate.

I am wondering, whilst registered as self employed, I took temporary paid work, my tax payments were horrendous, despite working only a relatively few hours. I did get it back the following year through a rebate.

if you take a self employed position after being registered as employed, will this affect your tax code with your current employer, or will it rest on the results of your tax return from self employment?

I am ignorant on self employment from this end, and would like to know the correct answer.

HMRC have been very helpful with me, perhaps visit their website, or even google your question?

Hope you find the answer.

Latest posts

Back