Self Employed Contract

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairukyork

Reaction score
I work self-employed and have rented a chair for 4 years now. I resign the contract every year and pay a fixed rent per week for set hours.

There is no clause in the contract for me to give notice but there is a clause that if I don't pay then the landlord/owner can terminate.

Basically, I've had enough of hairdressing and want to give notice but the owner says I have to pay up until the contract end date so some 5 months.

seem unfair.

Sounds like the contract is flimsy at best. I highly doubt it’s legally enforceable.

You can seek legal advice and run it by a professional but can I ask if a professional actually drafted it? If not, and as you’re leaving the industry, I’d just tell them your last date and they either deal with it or not but you won’t be there regardless 🤷‍♂️

I tend to agree with you. Thanks for the advice

reading HMRC guidelines a contract needs a clear statement about termination for both parties.

You can contact ACAS Contact us | Acas. On their website there is a section on notice periods. Your contract should say how long your notice period is. If it doesn't, and you've worked for your employer for at least 1 month, you should give at least 1 week's notice.

As you're self-employed, you could check with them whether you fall under the same category. Helpline tel: 0300 123 1100.

I work self-employed and have rented a chair for 4 years now. I resign the contract every year and pay a fixed rent per week for set hours.

There is no clause in the contract for me to give notice but there is a clause that if I don't pay then the landlord/owner can terminate.

Basically, I've had enough of hairdressing and want to give notice but the owner says I have to pay up until the contract end date so some 5 months.

seem unfair.
Just don't pay. Then they'll terminate.... But check to make sure they don't say if they terminate they will charge you so many months. If there's nothing in writing then you'll just have to mutually agree it between you. If they want to be a D**k about it. Then thy can take you to a small claims court, but if it doesn't say exactly what the therms are it will just get thrown out, because it was unfit for purpose and ambiguous. Contracts should not be ambiguous as it leaves scope for interpretation. If unsure see a solicitor, they normally give free initial consultations.

Hope this helps.

Nicky

Latest posts

Back