Self employed help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlotteP

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've never used a site like this before so please excuse me if I'm doing it all wrong

I've worked as a full time stylist for 6 years and have worked very hard to build up a client base. I've recently decided that becoming self employed would be more beneficial to me financially as I was working for minimum wage.

I am going to be renting a chair in a salon and buying all of my own stock and products which is fine as I am used to doing this in my previous employment.

I'm looking for any hints and tips of what to do and how to register as self employed and make sure that I don't fail in what I'm doing.

Thankyou for reading this :)

Good luck with your new venture. I've never rented a chair in a salon, but decided to go mobile 5 years ago & haven't ever looked back.
All you need to do as far as being self employed is concerned is to go onto the HMRC website & register as a self employed sole trader. You basically need to keep a record of all your paying clients, keep all your receipts for stock & purchases, mileage, any courses you go on etc, mobile telephone, how much you pay yourself, chair rental, bank charges etc you'll also have to pay your own National Insurance, which you can do monthly....Everything you pay out for and everything that gets paid to you, you need to keep a record of basically. I also have a mobile electronic card machine which links to my mobile, and is very handy for card paying clients....hope this helps a little [emoji16]

Latest posts

Back