Self employed, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
So I have just started working in a salon self employed, she has put me on a 60/40 split, 60% for her as she provides products, I only have to provide my own brush so is 40% good?? I am getting £8 per set of infills I do and £10 per full set of acrylics, I've never worked in a salon before so I don't know if these are good rates or not... someone please help me!!!

Hey I worked on a 40/60 split years ago although I was still employed so didnt have to do my own taxes. It was good when I was busy and makes you work harder than being employed however after a year was only earning around 700 a month with a fairly busy column. If you are getting £8 for a set of infills I would work out how long it takes you do them and how much you are earing an hour then rembember to take off your 20% tax and see what you have left. Although say it takes you an hour for your infills and you get £8 that doesnt seem much tbh as you earn that an hour being employed and dont have the stress of self employment and making sure your column is busy every day. I hope this helps slightly.

You need to increase your prices to make the equivalent of minimum wage.
Are you fully booked?
You might be better off looking for an employed position if you only have a small client base or doing nails part time alongside another (better paid) job.

Personally I would speak to the owner, product cost for nails is minimal so she is making very good money from you! I would suggest buying your own stock and reversing the cost to 60/40 in your favour or even 70/30 if it’s not a central busy location. If she/he won’t compromise consider bumping your prices and going mobile. Good luck x

Personally I would speak to the owner, product cost for nails is minimal so she is making very good money from you! I would suggest buying your own stock and reversing the cost to 60/40 in your favour or even 70/30 if it’s not a central busy location. If she/he won’t compromise consider bumping your prices and going mobile. Good luck x

I agree I’d see about supplying your own product. At the same time though I went from renting a chair in a salon to a salon at home I’m a hairdresser and I’m unpleasantly surprised about how many overheads you have, and I don’t have the rent or rates aspect that most salon owners have and they’re the ones taking the big risks (usually signing 3 year rental agreements at a time). Sometimes they’re not making as much as you might think. Xx

Latest posts

Back