Self employed in salon and taking deposits

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmmaN123

Reaction score
Hello, I’m looking for advice with regards to taking deposits by card/BACS.
I have self employed girls in my salon, all using their own card machines/cash pots. I would like to start implementing a strong deposit policy and am wondering if anybody can give me any advice on how I could do this with regards to the card payments for each girl? If one girl was not present in the salon on the time of booking, how could I take a deposit without having the card machine? Is there a programme I can use to do this?

I don’t really see how you can?
The self employed workers are already handling their own payments, so why would you take separate deposits through your till as that would be an accounting nightmare?

More importantly, you might want to implement a deposit policy (good idea in itself), but if any of the workers don’t want to take deposits, you’ll have to accept that. How they choose to run their own independent businesses is entirely up to them as you’re just the landlady.

They need to be responsible for their own deposit scheme IF they want to implement one. They should also be managing their own appointments etc.

Thank you, as a salon as a whole we have all agreed deposits would be the best thing to do. This is not something I’ve implemented myself without choice. I am just asking for advice if anybody else in the same position (owns/runs and works in a salon with self employed beauticians) deals with taking deposits daily - from clients who call the salon phone number to book in. I was wondering if there was a computerised programme or something that could link different bank accounts from 1 card machine enabling the deposit money to be deposited in the correct persons bank.
Im not forcing anybody to do anything

I’m not aware of any booking software that offers this feature but that’s not to say, it doesn’t exist. Hopefully, someone else will come along to comment.
I also wonder whether the monies that go through your till could lead to VAT implications later on?

Why not just tell your tenants clients to leave cash deposits? You can leave it in envelope for them to sort, or they can just leave their card machine of salon in they don’t have cash.
Can’t think how you would do it over phone though.

Most self emp i know take care of their deposits by paypal, bank transfer, etc. We can take the booking for them, on the salon phone, but explain to the client to use their usual method to pay their deposit to confirm their booking. It's then up to the s/e to check and chase their own deposits, prior to the appointment.

One thing you can do with our system is take a deposit from the client which will email them with a link to pay online.

Latest posts

Back