self employed isolation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

time-to-relax

Reaction score
looking for ways to reduce isolation for self employed therapists. Having a party not counted lol

looking for ways to reduce isolation for self employed therapists. Having a party not counted lol

do wot i do......i have a right old chat with myself, oh and the odd front and back head wibble moments for a couple of hours....lol
thats why i really enjoy being mobile

Hun you have come to the right place - I am self employed and home based and it can be very isolated. Being on here with my geeky mates keeps me sane, and the journal gang (look in the journals under Stuff) have kept me going through thick and thin when my personal life has been pretty crap!

I found that subscribing to trade Mags helped me keep up to date with the Industry.
also I was lucky enough to be able to travel to my OSNS (One stop nail shop) for my stock...and have a chat with the Educators and staff there.........that is probably how I ended up becoming an educator myself.

BUT...this site I think is the best way to make sure you never feel isolated ....it is the best and friendliest community for nail tech's and beauty therapists.

I've worked solo for the last 2 years after having 3 staff and i luv it.
I'm in complete control and enjoy the one on one conversation with my clients. Although some days i don't feel much like talking (my PMT days)
I also buy the newspaper every morning to give me something topical to talk about, ask clients what music they like (in a round about way) write it on their card and see if you can get it/download it, then play it on their next visit, often this will make them go into lala land and not be so demanding of your for entertainment. Get some good gossippy magazines. I used to pay $100 a month for glossy mags, but they always go for the trashy ones, you should read them first so you can always pass comment.
Hell, with one of my clients, we do crosswords while i do her nails.

Its lonely alright.

Had a cracking Xmas do all on my lonesome. Good turn out tho, got a bit wild toward the end. Too much drink!

Yes I sometimes feel quite sad. That is why I turn up here occassionally so I don't feel quite so lonely.

I actually quite like the isolation, its nice to get some peace and quiet!!!!! This site is a lifeline for me when im felling really lonely though.:hug:

Hi there

After having come from some pretty busy salons working from home & mobile has been a tad of a culture shock.
Of course the sites been great to keep in touch & expand horizons, but to get through the every day bits heres some tips that have helped me out at times.

Once or twice a week go for a coffee at a not so busy but nice lil cafe in your area.Take said mentioned good or trashy magazine/s lol.
More than likely after your 2nd or 3rd visit you're nearly a regular. Once you strike up a conversation you can then mention what you do & go from there.

Local dress shops are a good place to unwind, network & browse through. Take your time whilst browsing & go in maybe once a month to check out their new stuff [not necessarily buy] & touch base.

HtH

XX J XX

Latest posts

Back