Self employed maternity leave struggle

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buxom

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am 6mos pregnant with my first baby as a renter in a salon 15mins away from my home.

I am really struggling with how much time I will need to take off and leaving my clients for an extended period of time. I have anxiety over going back too soon while feeling vulnerable with a new baby.

We have a new home build with a bare basement, and could potentially make a salon room in our basement for me to relocate and have everything at home. I would certainly lose some clients but hopefully will gain more. I could leave my business for a while, or hire someone.

My questions are:
How long did you all work up to?

How much time did you take off, and were you ready to go back?

And is it a better idea to operate from home while you have a little one, rather than going back and forth, hire someone to take care of your clients or leave the business alone while getting settled with baby?

Thanks for your time.

Hi lovely, congrats on your pregnancy! I am in the same situation as you, except I set up working from home a year ago.
Here is my plan....
Work up to 37 weeks, I am due 24th September so finishing on 2nd September. And then I am planning on starting work again slowly after the new year, possibly around 17th Jan, just doing a few days a week and gradually increasing days and hours as our routine gets more settled :)
Have you looked into whether you can get maternity allowance?

I personally wouldn't think it is practical to look after the baby myself and try and work around it as they are too unpredictable! I don't think it would be great getting half way through a treatment to then have to sneak off and do a feed! But if you've got family members that could possibly help then try and rope them in!

I have also accepted the fact that I will probably have to lose a few clients as I won't physically be able to fit everyone in the way I do now, but if you work out what you need to manage financially and plan your time well then you should still be okay [emoji5]️ xxx

My first 2 babies I wasn't self employed and had 18 weeks fully off for each my 3rd baby I was totally self employed and had no choice finished 1 week before due date due to complications she came 9 days late then had 2 weeks off I eased in slowly and luckily baby came with me a bit as I was breast feeding but if people really wanted me that's the way it had to be working without baby after 1 month no choice I had too very stressful I wish I had closed completely but needed the income X

Thank you both for your replies. In your opinions, with a new baby, is it more ideal to have a home salon set up, or be able to get out to work if childcare isn't an issue?

That would be entirely down to your personal opinion. For myself and my personal situation working from home is a lot better than working in a salon, as I don't have rent to pay out etc.
But if you have not set up at home yet you need to think about the costs of setting up your business, and think of insurances and whether there are any licences you need to get in place from your local council.
Hope this helps x

Home would be ideal as long as the noise wouldn't affect treatments I have 3 children a dog and a cat but would mean no rental and other costs extra but I have to have a salon due to the noise room and generally getting out lol X

I had 9 months off with my first but this time round I'm only planning on about 5/6 weeks off as I'm Self employed. Only going back for about 2 days

Difficult to predict how much time you'll need off, but I would say don't underestimate how exhausted you will feel! You might not be able to go back to working full-time straight away unless you have a LOT of help from friends/family.

It also depends on the baby...some babies are very contented, sleep a lot, feed on a routine....and some babies are not! (mine were the latter!)

:)

I'm self employed working from home and visiting clients currently 6months pregnant too this is my 4th bubba and I'm planning on working right up until she arrives, I'm then taking October and November off - maybe fitting the odd client in here or there! And will do all my clients in December for Xmas! My mentality is I will lose some as I plan to take my baby with me- most of them are friends now so it's fine but I physically won't be able to fit them all in! The basement into a salon sounds fab and I'm sure working with the baby will be fine just explain they may take a little longer etc, soon enough they will be in a routine so u can work around them!

Congratulations xx

Do you worry your clients will go else where I have clients who need their roots done every 4 weeks! X

I am mobile and was when I was pregnant , hard slog when every smell made me feel sick !! Managed to work up to 3 weeks before and went back when he was 4 weeks but did cut down with clients re distance etc but found that most waited for me or came back to me so don't worry it will be fine x

Latest posts

Back