Self employed mobile & work from home

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelancetrainer

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I’ve been reading lots of information on the GOV website about starting a business, registering the business name and registering as a sole trader, choosing accounting methods etc etc etc.

What I’d like to know is at what point should I register the name and sole trader details? I haven’t started working yet so no income. I’m still to get all printing designed and room at home to complete. Should I register before I start actually earning? Is there any repercussion financially in doing so?

Can I ask if there are any mobile therapists who use the simplistic method for recording income and expenses? I have no idea how much mileage I’ll do in my car or how much extra it will cost for me to turn the radiator up in my room but it ask for all those details before it can tell me if the simplistic method is suitable.

I hope to be mostly working from home but will offer home visits to those who wish. It all seems very detailed in working out costs for fuel and heating.

I’ve seen several business with the same name yet I read it isn’t allowed? There are many Beauty Rooms and Beauty Essentials Beauty Spot Beauty Box but I don’t see them on Companies house? I’m confused. Any information is appreciated. Thank you.

My understanding is that your a sole trader so your not on companies house

Oh. Now you’ve got me thinking. I’m sure it said I did have to register. Unless that was just with HMRC and not Companies House and I’ve just got over confused in my reading. [emoji2]

Yes, you need to register with HMRC and unless you want to register as a limited company then you don't have to register with companies house. Honestly, there are some good reasons to go the limited company route although many don't.

Also, just because a name is registered on companies house doesn't mean you can't use it. It's only if the name is trademarked you can't use it. Hope that helps :)

Yes, you need to register with HMRC and unless you want to register as a limited company then you don't have to register with companies house. Honestly, there are some good reasons to go the limited company route although many don't.

Also, just because a name is registered on companies house doesn't mean you can't use it. It's only if the name is trademarked you can't use it. Hope that helps :)
Thank you, yes, I eventually found that information. Many thanks for your help. If you don’t mind me asking, do I need to register with my local council authority or have my home/treatment room inspected?

Thank you, yes, I eventually found that information. Many thanks for your help. If you don’t mind me asking, do I need to register with my local council authority or have my home/treatment room inspected?
It may not be inspected but you do need permission from the following;
  • The council - get it in writing.
  • Your landlord/mortgage provider
  • You may need a special license from the council which you have to purchase but it depends on what treatments you do and what council you're under. No one flat rule.
  • Your home insurance company will need informing

Latest posts

Back